Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Viktor Persson (7th Round, 191st Overall) (Brynäs junior team ---> Kamloops Blazers)

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction

·
May 31
Assuming all goes well COVID-19-wise in the coming months, Canucks 2020 7th rounder Viktor Persson tells me the plan for 21-22 is to come over and finally play for Kamloops.

From Canucks Army:
“Some Swedish scouts I talked to have said that Persson should have been given more of an opportunity in the SHL with Brynäs and believe that he will shock a lot of people if he is able to get over to the WHL for the 2021-22 season.

Persson is an offensive right-shot defenceman who has size at 6’2″, 195 pounds. His skating is the first trait that sticks out in his game and he compliments that with a quick release on his accurate wrist shot with a powerful slapshot that excels on the power play.”

Sounds like an intriguing prospect for a seventh round pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction

·
May 31
Assuming all goes well COVID-19-wise in the coming months, Canucks 2020 7th rounder Viktor Persson tells me the plan for 21-22 is to come over and finally play for Kamloops.

From Canucks Army:
“Some Swedish scouts I talked to have said that Persson should have been given more of an opportunity in the SHL with Brynäs and believe that he will shock a lot of people if he is able to get over to the WHL for the 2021-22 season.

Persson is an offensive right-shot defenceman who has size at 6’2″, 195 pounds. His skating is the first trait that sticks out in his game and he compliments that with a quick release on his accurate wrist shot with a powerful slapshot that excels on the power play.”

Technically an overage ROR right with a late birthday. Like Lind and Gadjovich who could have gone back to the chl in 18-19 but instead went tot he A.

best for Persson to go to the W given the off season last year. Plus getting adjusted to the smaller rink. Unless he’s moving up in the Swedish leagues the W makes sense.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Patrick Johnston
@risingaction

·
May 31

From Canucks Army:

Hoping he'll follow Edler's path from obscure Swedish prospect -> WHL -> AHL -> NHL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Considering the Canucks were shut out in the first two rounds, the 2020 draft wasn't half bad for the Canucks......Jurmo, Truscott and Persson are big d-men with some upside; Kunz is a big-bodied forward heading to North Dakota next year; and Zlodeyev is a center with some room to grow in the KHL.

I think there's a good chance more than a couple of them will eventually be signed.....about has much as you can hope for in rounds 3-7.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Considering the Canucks were shut out in the first two rounds, the 2020 draft wasn't half bad for the Canucks......Jurmo, Truscott and Persson are big d-men with some upside; Kunz is a big-bodied forward heading to North Dakota next year; and Zlodeyev is a center with some room to grow in the KHL.

I think there's a good chance more than a couple of them will eventually be signed.....about has much as you can hope for in rounds 3-7.
I don't know man. I don't think any of Jurmo, Truscott, or Persson had great D+1 years - even considering this very strange season. Kunz and Zlodeyev had better seasons, but weren't anything to write home about. Some guys in the 3rd round plus who had good D+1 seasons were Mcdonough, Madden, DiPietro, and Palmu - and as you can see even with good D+1 seasons nothing is gaurenteed, but it is a good sign.

Reactions: MS and wetcoast

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Hopeful this pans out, but how much of our excitement around this is because our pipeline is so bare that anything that looks passable is better than the junk we have?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hopeful this pans out, but how much of our excitement around this is because our pipeline is so bare that anything that looks passable is better than the junk we have?

I think it’s a combination. The excitement didn’t come out of left field though. Persson was considered a sleeper pick / potential steal at the time he was drafted. The tools seem to be there for him to develop into an NHL Dman. We do have a tendency to get excited over 6th and 7th round picks though.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

On the flip side of that, we have an excellent corps of 22 and under players. Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone. The team will restock in the next draft.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
On the flip side of that, we have an excellent corps of 22 and under players. Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone. The team will restock in the next draft.

But we should have both because we are perennial f***ing losers.

Reactions: jd22

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think quite a few of us were excited about Miles Liberati at one point in time too.

Reactions: MarkMM

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Fairly difficult to have both a great corps of 22 and under players and some grade A prospects waiting in the wings. We have some longer term prospects of course.

Why? Shitty teams draft high and can acquire picks at the deadline. If we had been stocking up with picks over the last few years, instead of the doing the opposite, we could have good prospect depth right now. The idea that this somehow isn’t possible is frankly absurd given how bad we have been.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Fairly difficult to have both a great corps of 22 and under players and some grade A prospects waiting in the wings. We have some longer term prospects of course.

For sure the success of some key prospects has left the pipeline bare and that's something to celebrate, but I can't help but think of all the useless trading of draft picks that were added on to already badly lopsided trades, and what impact that and the trading away the likes of McCann and Madden for older players that in McCann's case was a mistake to get or in Madden's case for someone Benning didn't think through the cap situation so we lost a solid prospect for 17 games of Toffoli who we let walk.

If we did as many here were calling for for the past few years, built through the draft and signed UFA's to insulate them on short-term deals that we trade away at the deadline to accumulate picks, and used that freed up weaponized cap space to accumulate more picks, and NOT done what Benning did which was be a net loser of draft picks while still losing all those years locking up junk UFA's with NTC's that leave us now in a situation where we might have to trade away assets, it's pretty clear we would be able to have a much deeper and richer pipeline of prospects.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For six of the last seven seasons, the Canucks were a lottery team.....and might have been last year as well, if COVID hadn't derailed the season and allowed a bunch of teams with subpar records to back into the playoffs based on their winning percentage.

It's been said a hundred times before.....you don't need to sign expensive veteran free agents; trade draft picks; or spend to the salary-cap maximum every year to be a lottery team. You can accomplish that with a lineup of AHL-NHL 'tweeners and a bunch of rookies.

Maybe it's a function of how long he's been in the executive booth.....but no GM in Canuck history has traded more draft picks for useless players than Benning. And all it ever did was cause the 'rebuild' to 'flatline'.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I also just want to reiterate what had been said above, but it’s actually super easy to sign veteran depth and trade that depth at the deadline for picks. We have seen smart GMs do this countless times. Benning, however, signed veteran depth to really bad contract terms making them untradeable because he is a really dumb man.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I also just want to reiterate what had been said above, but it’s actually super easy to sign veteran depth and trade that depth at the deadline for picks. We have seen smart GMs do this countless times. Benning, however, signed veteran depth to really bad contract terms making them untradeable because he is a really dumb man.

I know this is going to be a really unpopular view, but while I agree that it is easy to sign veteran depth, I often think the balance between supply and demand is less favourable to the sellers than people assume.

While there are teams looking to bolster their rosters for a run at the Cup, not all of them will need NHL/AHL tweeners who will clear waivers so they can be assigned to the minors and not cost a roster spot and salary against the cap. As for slightly better players, the acquiring team risks losing them on waivers or needs to find a roster spot and cap space.

Where this leaves us is that of course the Canucks should be acquiring cheap players intending to try to trade depth players for picks, but they shouldn't assume there will be a market for every depth player they acquire.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Next Season will be a very interesting one. He will be on a Powerhouse Blazers teams and I would assume will be there PP1 go to guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad