Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Viktor Persson (7th Round, 191st Overall) (Brynäs junior team ---> Kamloops Blazers)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Glad he's coming over to play in WHL—we should be able to get a really good read on whether he can play.

He's a November 01' birthday so one of the older players in the draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Same thing was said about Jurmo, I guess the theme for defenceman today was draft speed.
always a good trait to have. Also nice that they are all over 6 feet in height.

Not sure he plays in the WHL given that they may not start for a while vs. playing in Sweden where they have started the season. See how he develops.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Looks like a mistake on Elite Prospects as he isn't on Button's final list.

yeah, it seems to be an outdated version. He was on Button's list in September, I suppose it changed in his final list.

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Nice to see Viktor getting drafted. Modern D-men with a nice combination of many useful abilities.

Brynäs had a big number of senior D-men which meant limited opportunities for him last season. However, Brynäs appointed a new coach ahead of this season and he liked what he saw of Viktor during pre-season, and adviced him to stay in Brynäs instead of moving over to North America. There was an article in the local paper in early September, suggesting he could stay in Brynäs due to the new coach's belief in him and the current situation in North America.

Has it been sealed that he's moving to America? I can see he played for Brynäs J20 4 days ago hence the question. I suppose the Islanders would communicate out something regarding that. BIF - VIK (Line Up)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As 7th rounders go, I really like this pick. High upside right shot D. He's coming to Kamloops to play in the WHL if and when the season starts. I look for him to put up points at the WHL level.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He didn’t. What’s your report on him?
How tf!?? Pillar was outstanding last year at 5v5 and really drove the play on his line, I definitely see him as a potential top 9 NHL player and am extremely surprised he didn’t get drafted; especially considering he was ranked to go anywhere from rounds 3-5...He’ll definitely surprise a lot of people next year and will make people regret that decision, he’s a really motivated kid.

Reactions: Bougieman

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
As 7th rounders go, I really like this pick. High upside right shot D. He's coming to Kamloops to play in the WHL if and when the season starts. I look for him to put up points at the WHL level.
Kamloops is going to be a powerhouse next year. Kept everyone except for Franklin and Martin.

Zary, Centazzo, Stankoven, Pillar, Garand, Bargano etc etc. This is a really solid pick, Kamloops is great at developing dmen of his type.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
He was 42nd on our list at HockeyProspect.com, he was never on any of Craig Button list this year.

Here's a short blurb from his profile in the 2020 NHL Draft Black Book. Looking at our list, he was the best pick the Canucks got this week.

Persson’s vision and playmaking ability are the hallmarks of his game in the offensive end. He can turn and rotate rapidly, which allows him to be very deceptive when he sets up fake shots in order to re-open passing lanes. There’s a poise to how he carries himself when holding onto the puck or when he’s making decisions at the offensive line. He doesn’t rush the play often, he takes advantage of the soft ice given to him, and he can thread some high end passes that land right on the tape. His passing velocity is very good. It’s rare to see him fire a pass that’s too sharp; he matches his passing force to the context of the play. We wish he would use his first pass coming out of his own end more than he currently does since he does have a good level of accuracy and vision. At least the passing ability is there for him to further develop his outlet play in the future.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
"Persey passes the puck up to Petey, he's over the line, through the defence, shoots...SCORES!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad