Confirmed with Link: Canucks do not qualify Ben Hutton, he is now a UFA

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"Hutty, we don't like you partying, we want you to be in better shape"

"OK, I mean I kept up and was as good or better than all those other guys, but I will work out extra hard this summer. I believe in working hard and playing hard."

"Hutty, with Edler and Tanev down, we need you out there for 25+ minutes against their top lines."

"OK, no problem."

"Hutty, we still don't like your partying and we aren't sure if we want you around."

"OK, I mean research shows that high performance individuals do their best when they both apply themselves in their work ethic and enjoy themselves away from their occupa . . ."

"Hutty, don't use those fancy college words on us. We know hockey, and this is what's best."

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Wait, so are they simultaneously moving on from him because they don’t like his partying while also using this as a way to shrewdly negotiate a better deal without the risk of arbitration?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Wait, so are they simultaneously moving on from him because they don’t like his partying while also using this as a way to shrewdly negotiate a better deal without the risk of arbitration?
Perhaps they don’t value his on ice play as much as most fans do. I think he was our worst defensmen other than Poliout and EG last season. They probably just want an upgrade. At least I hope that happens

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Lol I’m sorry I can’t. I’m just ecstatic to see the last of Hutton.

You and the rest of team tank.

Getting rid of the guy we are going to need to replace Edler and Tanev when they are injured will solidify that lottery pick.

And the daily-double bonus - we don't get any assets for him. If that's not cause for ecstaticnessity, I don't know what is.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Brutal asset management once again by Benning. Should of kept quiet and made a trade for anything long before it came to this disaster. This gm keeps painting himself into a corner.

I am not a huge Hutton fan but I'm pretty sure you could of easily had a 5th rounder last year for him. Hey, something is better than nothing.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Brutal asset management once again by Benning. Should of kept quiet and made a trade for anything long before it came to this disaster. This gm keeps painting himself into a corner.

I am not a huge Hutton fan but I'm pretty sure you could of easily had a 5th rounder last year for him. Hey, something is better than nothing.

Fewer draft picks means you can scout a better pla . . . oh wait, Donny has me on a quota. Nevermind.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You and the rest of team tank.

Getting rid of the guy we are going to need to replace Edler and Tanev when they are injured will solidify that lottery pick.

And the daily-double bonus - we don't get any assets for him. If that's not cause for ecstaticnessity, I don't know what is.
The Canucks need one more premium asset through the draft before they are ready to contend and I’m not convinced that will be Podkolzin. We need a top 10 pick in 2020 to make that happen. I don’t like cheering for the tank but fans will be in an awkward position this year given the 2021 first has been traded. Edit. I think Hutton sucks

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to wait until the dust settles to freak out about this. But I want to know was being offered for Hutton assuming (and reportedly) he was shopped around. If he was being offered a 5th or 6th and Benning didn't take it that's ok as he should get at least a 3rd for Hutton.

So ummm idk if someone else caught this - if benning decided he doesn’t want Hutton and was offered a 5 or 6 for him you think taking nothing is better than taking a 5 or 6?

Like are you saying
No assets> 5/6 pick?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think there's much to figure out out here. They wanted another LHD option but needed to wait until they could talk to free agents. Once they got a verbal deal worked out they moved on from Hutton and didn't qualify him. We'll see who they overpay on Monday.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The Canucks need one more premium asset through the draft before they are ready to contend and I’m not convinced that will be Podkolzin. We need a top 10 pick in 2020 to make that happen. I don’t like cheering for the tank but fans will be in an awkward position this year given the 2021 first has been traded. Edit. I think Hutton sucks

Team tank first and foremost is team fire benning. I will reconsider after next season if benning is still here’s if I want to be on that tank with no first rounder but if benning is here I’m not sure if the lack of a first is enough to get me off that wagon

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't think there's much to figure out out here. They wanted another LHD option but needed to wait until they could talk to free agents. Once they got a verbal deal worked out they moved on from Hutton and didn't qualify him. We'll see who they overpay on Monday.
It’s probably Benn...hopefully the term is short

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Honestly, as has been stated, these guys are just incredibly poor at managing this team. I’m fine with moving on from Hutton, but get a pick for him. There isn’t any reasonable explanation for why they couldn’t.

The fact that they weren’t able to talk with pending UFAs until now isn’t a good excuse. They should have dealt Hutton at the trade deadline knowing that a group of players, generally, would be available as they always are.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Yeah, I have to agree with the bolded. At least one more premium asset, although I think we really need two - another elite winger as well as a Norris caliber D.

Hopeful for Pod, fine with the risky pick, but just not feelin' it. Hopefully he hits the ceiling some people think he has.

Would have liked to have seen the Canucks in 2022-2023 built around:

Bo/EP at C
BB6/another elite player on an ELC at W
Demko (hopefully hits ceiling) at G
Hughes/Norris caliber player on an ELC at D

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Damn I would’ve love to trade for puljujarvi and a pick, but apparently trading Hutton wasn’t even considered. I get that the d needs to be fixed but at the very least get a pick for him. Bleeding assets year after year tsk tsk

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that's a decent guess and explains the "last minute" trade efforts.

i think they intend to spend their money on the right side and we are talking about a cheap lhd replacement.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's been 5 years of poor asset management - it's incredible that Benning and co are able to remain employed while being so awful at their jobs.

there are good reasons why the canucks might pass on hutton right now. until this plays out you have no idea if this is a good or bad move.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well, Linden is already gone. Now Jimbo has no one to answer to except aqua, who is as clueless about constructing a hockey team as he is rich. Tells me that Benning is the main culprit as the organization is an even bigger tire fire now.

An incompetent GM with free reign, without any oversight. What could possibly go wrong? (Chernobyl)

Things won't go wrong; I know. (Hiroshima, Nagasaki)

Reactions: Grantham

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
there are good reasons why the canucks might pass on hutton right now. until this plays out you have no idea if this is a good or bad move.

Poor asset management (i.e. letting an asset walk away without anything in return) is never a good move - despite how often this management team bleeds value for its assets.

Reactions: Bubbles

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Is Hutton a top 4 on Canucks? No he's not. Edler and Hughes are ahead of him. Do we want to pay our 3rd pairing Dman 4 million per? No we don't. Should Benning have realized this sooner and moved him? Hell yes but he's an idiot and maybe he didnt' think he could get Edler signed ?? What's done is done Hutton at 2.5 per or close to that is fine he's not worth anything close to 4 I'm happy he's gone. He will be replaced internally or by another scrub who doesn't make 4 million per.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Damn I would’ve love to trade for puljujarvi and a pick, but apparently trading Hutton wasn’t even considered. I get that the d needs to be fixed but at the very least get a pick for him. Bleeding assets year after year tsk tsk
im not sure i understand the attraction to Puljujarvi.

Has to be amongst the dumbest players in the league. looks like a tool (whatever) Is lazy, uncoachable comes to camps out of shape and isn't good enough to produce with McDavid Draisaitl and RNH as his centres. Where does a guy like that fit in a teams lineup? Certainly not worth giving much up for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad