Confirmed with Link: Canucks do not qualify Ben Hutton, he is now a UFA

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
He was bad in the AHL. People who watched Utica games can vouch for this.

False and false.

He was half decent in the AHL last year in his short time. Showed some significant strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. More importantly, he did show some progress from the previous year.

People who watched Utica games corroborated the above.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This is not very logical at all. Using the fact that he has failed to make the NHL as a defense of him as a player.

Ill take that to the extreme so you see where the logical flaw is;
Im 35, soon 36 and have not played ANY hockey for ~15 years.

I hope you have written me off despite not playing in the NHL.

Call up a Benning...you never know!

Hell I’m pretty sure there was a scout in the stands at our pickup game this morning! Luckily I made strong impression with a couple goals. I’m aiming to be a NHL rookie when I’m 46. That gives me another year to work on things.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
@Hindustan Smyl

Please reply to this. Thanks.

Thanks for linking me to that.

Like I said - OJ does have some significant holes in his game. In your very own link however, it points out that he got 13 points in 18 games. Making the jump from juniors or from any league to the AHL is not an easy transition. Juolevi is still young enough to improve in my opinion.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Like I said - OJ does have some significant holes in his game. In your very own link however, it points out that he got 13 points in 18 games. Making the jump from juniors or from any league to the AHL is not an easy transition. Juolevi is still young enough to improve in my opinion.

So you take back when you accused me of spouting falsehoods?

Reactions: rypper

brokenblade1990

Feb 27, 2019
last year
edler tanev
del zotto gudbranson
hutton stecher
pouliot
biega

this year(guess)
edler tanev
hughes myers
schenn stecher
biega
Rafferty?
teves?
joulevi

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Rogers Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Toronto Maple Leafs will make an effort to shore up their blue-line by signing defenseman Ben Hutton.

Ben Hutton, according to Friedman, is a player the Leafs attempted to trade for before he was cut loose by the Canucks.

31 Thoughts: The Podcast's Elliotte Friedman chats about whether the Mitch Marner contract situation is holding up other business Kyle Dubas has to deal with, the possibility of a short-term deal, the lesson from the William Nylander holdout, Jake Gardiner's & Robin Lehner's situations, how Toronto will bolster their blue line.

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dem...-and-Ashley-Docking-sl-20190628-Interview.mp3

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
According to Rogers Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the Toronto Maple Leafs will make an effort to shore up their blue-line by signing defenseman Ben Hutton.

Ben Hutton, according to Friedman, is a player the Leafs attempted to trade for before he was cut loose by the Canucks.

31 Thoughts: The Podcast's Elliotte Friedman chats about whether the Mitch Marner contract situation is holding up other business Kyle Dubas has to deal with, the possibility of a short-term deal, the lesson from the William Nylander holdout, Jake Gardiner's & Robin Lehner's situations, how Toronto will bolster their blue line.

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dem...-and-Ashley-Docking-sl-20190628-Interview.mp3

Wouldn't surprise me if that included Zaitsev knowing Jim. Maybe Myers heated up and Jim lost interest in Zaitsev.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

A top pick who is starting D+3, with a year of pro-hockey experience, should be able to waltz into the AHL and dominate.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A top pick who is starting D+3, with a year of pro-hockey experience, should be able to waltz into the AHL and dominate.

All of this D+1, d+3. Etc., is just hot garbage. Everyone's Trajectory is different and everyone peaks and grows at different stages. It ultimately boils down to the individual. The twins and Naslund didn’t come flying out of the gate, but showed consistent improvement throughout their careers........and then exploded at the age of 25-26. Juolevi May or May not pan out, but he clearly as age on his side. Juolevi had a lot of warts in his game last year, but 13 points in 18 games is also a positive sign.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Forget everything you are debating.

13 points in 18 games.

drops mic

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018

Hmm.. So the leafs tried to trade for Hutton but jimbo thought it was a better idea to lose him for nothing? Is this a joke?
How can anyone still defend jimbo the clown? This guy such a bad gm man.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
All of this D+1, d+3. Etc., is just hot garbage. Everyone's Trajectory is different and everyone peaks and grows at different stages. It ultimately boils down to the individual. The twins and Naslund didn’t come flying out of the gate, but showed consistent improvement throughout their careers........and then exploded at the age of 25-26. Juolevi May or May not pan out, but he clearly as age on his side. Juolevi had a lot of warts in his game last year, but 13 points in 18 games is also a positive sign.

If you want to act like there isn't a wealth of historical data on how long it should take genuinely good prospects to become good players, go ahead. All you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment. Meanwhile, see below:

I have yet to encounter a single other person who watched Juolevi play and was positive about his performance. The perfect divide between 'saw him play/he was bad' and 'didn't see him play/13 points in 18 games, doing great!' is pretty hilarious.

Like, orcatown and I see the game very differently at times and often strongly disagree, but our respective takes on Juolevi are basically identical. And identical to everyone else who saw him.

And then there's:

Juolevi started the season paired with Chatfield. I believe the feeling was he should be able to carry an undrafted, energetic, hard working, second year D-man allowing every pairing to have either an experienced or high level developing player who needed to show his ability to carry a heavy load. The Juolevi/Chatfield pairing was a disaster. Chatfield needs a vet! Juolevi ended up revealing he had to be sheltered big time in order to have him available for the power play and was paired with the team's most capable defensive veteran D-man, Sifers, and he was still everything you, other Vancouver posters who watched his Utica games, and the Utica posters who were right on top of him have described since he first stepped onto the ice in Utica.

People claiming he was getting better and if not injured, would have got his game up to at least standard for the AHL. are wrong. Those statements are purely speculative and seem to be based upon one factor and one factor alone and that factor would be the only positive you can attach to him, 13 points in 18 games played.

Before he got injured his defensive game was getting worse game by game, not better. Probably getting the snot knocked out of him and flattened to the ice by a forechecker along the half boards and having to have Sifers step up and attack the guy and after the penalties were served Arseneau went after the guy again, might have contributed even more to his already determined effort to stay away from contact. After that he never even tried to initiate any physicality on his own in any area of the ice in his own end let alone anywhere else in the rink. He never even leaned on an opponent. Stick check was his most aggressive move. The guy not only continued to play a soft game, but actually assessed, on the fly, where and when he might encounter contact and made an obvious effort to avoid it.

I hope his supporters in this discussion get their wish and Benning instructs Green and Co. to give him every possible chance to make the Canucks roster. Sifers has retired. If McEneny is for some some reason re-signed (he is currently a UFA) after yet another season ending knee injury/operation/ rehab, he will be playing on less than one leg. That will make Sautner the team's most "veteran D-man". Dylan Blujus has played a few more AHL games, but he is only on an AHL contract and has thus, been used in the Biega role in Utica, the #7 D-man. Add these 2 guys to Brisebois and Chatfield and you will have 4 defenders who have played at least 2 seasons. Then we have 3 rookies in Eliot, Rafferty, and Teves. That would mean Sautner, Blujus, and Brisebois get to carry 3 of the others and none are the defensive stalwarts that Juolevi needed to stay afloat while still going -12 in in his 18 GP. I know +/- can be misleading, but in his case and I can assure you he was a or the prime contributor on most of those goals. He gave 2 pucks directly to the high pk guy for breakaway goals and specialty play goals don't figure in on +/- stats. All you had to do to get him to cough up the puck was make a beeline for him and threw it away to avoid the collision that was coming.

He actually needs a real strong veteran defender like Biega or Schenn. If he is sent here again without a player of that caliber, it could end up even worse than last time. Benning has a real habit of sending prospects to Utica without the essential parts they need to succeed.

He can pass with the best at any level when he has time and space. His passes are tape to tape no matter the length of the pass. He, however, did not walk the blue line to open a lane for his own shot or give him even better targets for a pass. These few issues account for why 12 of his 13 points were assists. Perfect feeds for Boucher's killer one timer on the PP got him a few of them.

IMO his play here did not cause me to believe I was watching a future everyday NHL D-man and the #5 OA moniker was difficult to fathom.. He doesn't have just a few wrinkles to work out. It's not just a lack of confidence. His interviews reveal an almost arrogant belief in himself. It's not just adjusting to the smaller rink, though that has made the physical part of the North American game a lot more difficult for him to avoid because players are on him much faster than he is accustomed to. It's not strength, since he has never exhibited the employment of such an asset anyways. Good puck handlers go by him like he's a pylon in stick handling drills and lesser skilled guys drop their shoulders down and hold the puck out wide of his poke check and muscle their way past him. That indicates a skating weakness. The fact that he doesn't take the puck and skate it out of trouble at least once in a while reveals another skating question. This kid has an actual North American pro game to assemble. His European style will not assimilate to the small ice, physicality, and increased speed of the NA pro game and all of these issues will be magnified in the NHL.

That's kind of a synopsis of my past posts on this player. I don't believe I have anything more to add that hasn't been posted before.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Forget everything you are debating.

13 points in 18 games.

drops mic
I'll raise you Pouliot 24 point in 31 games'
giphy.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hmm.. So the leafs tried to trade for Hutton but jimbo thought it was a better idea to lose him for nothing? Is this a joke?
How can anyone still defend jimbo the clown? This guy such a bad gm man.

Attempted to trade for can mean a lot of things. Toronto has been more interested in getting rid of Marleau and Zaitsev. Zaitsev is likely to be traded for Ceci who some are estimating can get $5M in arbitration. Wouldn't surprise me if Toronto preferred dealing for Hutton and not lose Brown.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Most of the Gillis picks have been shipped out now. Gaunce and Hutton gone. Just leaves Horvat.

The way some of the prospects/players were shipped out for garbage...and the sudden nature of these deals scream politicing. You know the owners had a hand in trying to shift away from the previous mgmt group.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Most of the Gillis picks have been shipped out now. Gaunce and Hutton gone. Just leaves Horvat.

The way some of the prospects/players were shipped out for garbage...and the sudden nature of these deals scream politicing. You know the owners had a hand in trying to shift away from the previous mgmt group.
Sure does seem that way sometimes doesn't it.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

What, you thought it was a coincidence the only time Jimbo does any kind of negotiating is when he's dealing with a Gillis leftover?

Reactions: pomorick and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

lol, sure

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad