Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 5-2 | De(Smith)nied | Pettersson, Aman, Hoglander, Suter, Blueger

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It's basically like the pain currently in the corners of your mouth, spread out over all your teeth roots and gums every 3-5 days after having them retightened, which was once every 4-6 weeks IIRC. This made it damn near impossible to eat for basically 1 out of every 6 days which probably contributed to me being 5'7'' and 118 lbs. in grade 12.
Yeah I’m, idk about the height part:oops:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
useful to remember that our 2011 wingers’ career highs in goals were 30 (sammy), 27 (higgins and torres), 25 (mayray), and 22 (hansen).

hansen wasn’t fully formed yet and torres had plateaued but i think it’s also fair to say that the middle six had at least four wingers capable of potting 20 goals in the right situation and all were to some degree playing farther down the lineup than their ability.

in the current group, excluding boeser and kuzmenko, i only see hoglander as having the scoring ability to hang with the 2011 group. although if you want to say garland is basically raymond, i wouldn’t argue.

and i just had the sad realization that there were zero games that that whole group was in the lineup at the same time.

Don't forget Mik. I think it's safe to say that he is a 20+ goal scorer over 82 games. I would say "Pew" is similar to Hansen in terms of offensive production. Pew could score 20 goals in a career year. I think offensively, Lafferty is close to the Torres that was here. Garland I would say is like Burrows. Burrows has chemistry with the Sedins and has the edge in goal scoring whereas Garland hasn't found a top 6 fit but has an edge in playmaking. You can put Burrows/Garland on any line.

To be clear I'm not making any stylistic comparison.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The disrespect for that 2011 team is wild. Give me this current team’s powerplay, that’s it. And that 2011 team had a top powerplay too lol, Every other facet that 2011 team clears.

If you want to take a a slightly better powerplay over better 5v5, PK then be my guest.

Canucks fans complain that 2011 team was robbed and gets underrated by other fans but some of our own fans underrate that squad lol

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Don't forget Mik. I think it's safe to say that he is a 20+ goal scorer over 82 games. I would say "Pew" is similar to Hansen in terms of offensive production. Pew could score 20 goals in a career year. I think offensively, Lafferty is close to the Torres that was here. Garland I would say is like Burrows. Burrows has chemistry with the Sedins and has the edge in goal scoring whereas Garland hasn't found a top 6 fit but has an edge in playmaking. You can put Burrows/Garland on any line.

I think we could have six to seven 20 goal scorers this year, barring injuries. 77/78 Bruins have the record with eleven 20 goal scorers.

Boeser, Miller, EP are locks.
Hughes, Mik, Hoglander, Lafferty are possibles.
Joshua, Suter, Kuz are unlikely longshots.

Reactions: Indiana

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The disrespect for that 2011 team is wild. Give me this current team’s powerplay, that’s it. And that 2011 team had a top powerplay too lol, Every other facet that 2011 team clears.

If you want to take a a slightly better powerplay over better 5v5, PK then be my guest.

Canucks fans complain that 2011 team was robbed and gets underrated by other fans but some of our own fans underrate that squad lol

Ehrhoff was a number 1 dman in two seasons

IMG_9189.jpeg

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

You actually can't put Garland on any line - he hasn't been a fit anywhere in the top six - and has really only worked with Joshua over the last 50 games or so. He also does nothing on the PP or PK.

There's no comparison to Burrows who was putting up 26+ goals for 4 straight seasons while being an elite PKer and one of the best defensive wingers in the league.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You actually can't put Garland on any line - he hasn't been a fit anywhere in the top six - and has really only worked with Joshua over the last 50 games or so. He also does nothing on the PP or PK.

There's no comparison to Burrows who was putting up 26+ goals for 4 straight seasons while being an elite PKer and one of the best defensive wingers in the league.

Well Garland hasn't been a fit but historically he has produced similarly regardless of who he plays with. If you go by CF with/without stats, there are zero? forwards aside from PDG (small sample size) who are better without Garland this year. With that said, those chances haven't translated into dangerous chances and goals for though.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I posted this last night before I watched it. I thought it would be of interest to you guys so I posted it but then I got busy and forgot about it. I just watched it now and man, do I ever love Rick Tocchet. I know initially I wasn't alone among you guys when I was highly skeptical of bringing Tochs in over Boudreau, but man, has Tocchet ever proved idiots like me wrong. Everything about Tocchet suggests to me he is a winner. This guy is confident and in control in all situations, including with the media. Tochs has his shit totally together.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why not put kuzy petey with suter together for a game. both petey and suter can make up defensively for kuzys weaknesses. let kuzy shoot and get his confidence back up

Reactions: ChilliBilly

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The 2011 team had years to build up an identity and gain confidence, something that started with Lou. They went through hard knocks having to learn to score without Naslund, GM changes, unexpectedly not making the playoffs, getting Presidents Cups, and not getting past Chicago when they did get in.

This team better compares to the 1994 team which didn't have expectations on it but hope, a belief in themselves, and talent.

Or better, this team better compares the 1982 team which had no expectations from anyone until Roger Neilsen gave them hope and strategy, and Steamer gave them determination which the team bought into.

The 2011 team were the favourites to win the cup. This team, at this point, is heavily favoured just to make the playoffs.

Reactions: bh53 and calnuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Tocchet vs Vigneault would've been epic though. Both weren't afraid to drop the gloves though I think AV might be in over his head. He wouldn't go down with a whimper though.

• Love
Reactions: LuckyDay

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The 2011 team had years to build up an identity and gain confidence, something that started with Lou. They went through hard knocks having to learn to score without Naslund, GM changes, unexpectedly not making the playoffs, getting Presidents Cups, and not getting past Chicago when they did get in.

This team better compares to the 1994 team which didn't have expectations on it but hope, a belief in themselves, and talent.

Or better, this team better compares the 1982 team which had no expectations from anyone until Roger Neilsen gave them hope and strategy, and Steamer gave them determination which the team bought into.

The 2011 team were the favourites to win the cup. This team, at this point, is heavily favoured just to make the playoffs.

i don’t think no expectations is an accurate read of the ’94 team

we went into that season absolute cup contenders. back to back 100 pt seasons and winning the smythe, but couldn’t get out of the division in the playoffs. those two seasons, ’92 and ’93, were supposed to be where we took our lumps and were figuring it out before we took the step.

but we slumped through much of the ’94 regular season because we lost two middle six centers (nedved and bure’s center, anatoli semenov) and a top four d (lidster), and to a much less important degree we lost winger depth in garry valk and jim sandlak. the really big thing was we just did not have enough natural centers. ronning was really the only true center in our top nine, with john mcintyre holding down the fourth line. craven and linden were both wingers who could and did play some center.

it got so bad that midyear we traded more winger depth, sophomore slumping dixon ward coming off a 20/50 rookie season, for jimmy carson’s corpse. at that point there was a real winger hole.

but pat quinn was pat quinn, and we went into the playoffs with all that depth restored.

the nedved trade brought in an entire D pair, brown and hedican, to fill the gap lidster left, and we also got big playoff tested brian glynn off waivers, allowing us to trade away pylon robert dirk to recoup a pick and move jiri slegr and adrian plavsic to the press box. it also brought in lafayette, a natural center who could spell linden when needed.

ward was replaced by young gelinas off waivers, which was huge.

going into the playoffs people called our first round 1 vs 4 matchup with calgary the real campbell conference finals, which it turned out was right. similar vibes to our 2011 1 vs 8 matchup against chicago when they were slumming it.

all to say, i would be very hesitant to compare the current team favourably to the ’94 team. yes, on paper petey + miller + hughes + demko > bure + linden + lumme + mclean, but what made those pat quinn teams great was incredible depth, and big huge guys that could wear you down (ask phil housley, who got absolutely destroyed by us in back to back playoff series).

like, look at our D currently and then look at lumme/murzyn (glynn), diduck/babych, hedican/brown. i mean, bret hedican and jeff brown was our third pair. i think other than murzyn, maybe even including him, any of those guys would be easily our third best dman currently, and i am not sold on hronek being better than either diduck or lumme.

and up front, our third line was ronning centering momesso and gelinas. ronning was coming off an 85 pt season (90 pt pace), momesso was a big strong 20 goal scorer, and gelinas was a former top 10 pick (next three picks were roenick, selanne, and brind’amour) who had scored 20 goals before he hit legal drinking age in the US and was a year away from breaking out as a 30 goal scorer.

a long digressive post, and sorry, i really really like our current team and we should appreciate it, but there’s this idea that the ’94 team was a cinderella or a fluke, and it’s just plain not true. that team was absolutely a feared contender.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The '82 team is no fluke either, really. Obviously Brodeur was lights out and got in their heads, but Hlinka actually showed up to play and the league still has never had a coach the changed the game the way that Roger has. You didn't want to tick the team off when you knew Tiger was going to retaliate. Curt Fraser was a beast. The aging Kings, Flames, and Blackhawks underestimated us and overestimated themselves. Replacing do nothing BJ McDonald with never quit Smyl was transcending - 18 points in 17 games only behind Gradin's 19 for the team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The '82 team is no fluke either, really. Obviously Brodeur was lights out and got in their heads, but Hlinka actually showed up to play and the league still has never had a coach the changed the game the way that Roger has. You didn't want to tick the team off when you knew Tiger was going to retaliate. Curt Fraser was a beast. The aging Kings, Flames, and Blackhawks underestimated us and overestimated themselves. Replacing do nothing BJ McDonald with never quit Smyl was transcending - 18 points in 17 games only behind Gradin's 19 for the team.

Fair, but that run still needed a Miracle to happen.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm thinking Bubla kicked his fellow countrymen in the butt.:naughty: Bubla's style seemed to fit right in with the NHL at the time. Too bad we got him in the twilight of his career. Guy gave epic bear hugs as a submission move on the ice.:laugh:

How about a sacrifice? You know where M2B is? :sarcasm:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm thinking Bubla kicked his fellow countrymen in the butt.:naughty: Bubla's style seemed to fit right in with the NHL at the time. Too bad we got him in the twilight of his career. Guy gave epic bear hugs as a submission move on the ice.:laugh:

i still can’t believe in 2011 we made it to the finals without a jiri sitting up in the press box. if slegr has a kid we should sign him/her just to eat popcorn next to allvin for cup run mojo.

Reactions: Hit the post

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1703341472932-jpeg.789259

one miracle coming up!

i still can’t believe in 2011 we made it to the finals without a jiri sitting up in the press box. if slegr has a kid we should sign him/her just to eat popcorn next to allvin for cup run mojo.
A Bubla and a Slegr?
What would his last name be?

Attachments

• 1703341472932.jpeg
    1703341472932.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad