Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kraken - 5-2 (Dries, Miller, Ekman-Larsson, Schenn, Hughes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
There is absolutely no chance we get a top 10 pick for Garland. Those high picks are extremely valuable, especially in this flat cap era. Sadly Benning didn’t understand th3 value in top picks.

Yup, but one can dream…..

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Cool.

Also.

Im not willing to move blame from our management to our owner at this point, even if they do something I dont want them to do.
I’ll believe our owner is keeping his hands off when Miller is traded. If we go into next season with Miller (signed or not) then I think that’s evidence our owner is setting the direction for our team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Even though the score flatters us, that was an ugly win. Excellent first period, then legitimately have to wonder if the team was scoreboard watching and just lost their will to play after. Totally listless and uninspired. Some poor officiating didn’t help, but amidst the head scratching calls were some lazy penalties that didn’t help.

Nice to see Martin come in and pick up the W, and happy to see some offense from our back end. Schenn, OEL and Hughes all found the net tonight.

Said before, Garland really book ending this season with hot runs of play. If the Canucks were thinking at all about moving on from this player, I hope they’ve decided against that. He’s been a major play driver since rounding back into form after a mid season lull.

Sad that there’s just two more games to go for this group. Hopefully they go out on a high, and then it’ll be an interesting offseason.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Betweenness Garland and Boeser, which does our owner prefer? Sadly I think he’s a Boeser fan. So Garland, who is by far better and on a great contract, will be the guy who is traded.
He's not running the team. I doubt he starts meddling in affairs this early after the hammering he got during the Benning years. The only reason to trade Garland is there is no interest in Boeser at all. It becomes a value judgement between Boeser+garland's trade assets vs Garland+Boeser's trade assets. Not an easy equation to judge without knowing their trade values. I'm hoping someone really wants Boeser.

Reactions: mathonwy

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Just curious....what were the future considerations, and have we given them already?

Usually it’s nothing . Especially now that dim is gone.

But they probably gave him to us for free because they already raped us hard in the Miller deal. That’s probably what it was. He felt bad taking advantage of dim so gave him to us for free.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Even though the score flatters us, that was an ugly win. Excellent first period, then legitimately have to wonder if the team was scoreboard watching and just lost their will to play after. Totally listless and uninspired. Some poor officiating didn’t help, but amidst the head scratching calls were some lazy penalties that didn’t help.

Nice to see Martin come in and pick up the W, and happy to see some offense from our back end. Schenn, OEL and Hughes all found the net tonight.

Said before, Garland really book ending this season with hot runs of play. If the Canucks were thinking at all about moving on from this player, I hope they’ve decided against that. He’s been a major play driver since rounding back into form after a mid season lull.

Sad that there’s just two more games to go for this group. Hopefully they go out on a high, and then it’ll be an interesting offseason.

Our first offseason with the new management team, I'm excited what they can do. No more doom and gloom from the past management team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's not running the team. I doubt he starts meddling in affairs this early after the hammering he got during the Benning years. The only reason to trade Garland is there is no interest in Boeser at all. It becomes a value judgement between Boeser+garland's trade assets vs Garland+Boeser's trade assets. Not an easy equation to judge without knowing their trade values. I'm hoping someone really wants Boeser.
Why is it even a question? Garland is clearly the better player and on a great contract. Boeser should be the guy out, even if that’s just letting him walk for cap space. Hope I’m wrong, but I really believe ou4 owner sets the club’s philosophical direction.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wont believe that.

I will judge the current management on what they do or dont do.

Just like I did the previous management.
We fans can choose how we think. I think our owner is a guy who meddles in th3 direction of the team. I think he sets the philosophy. Any big trades go though him for approval. My opinion. I for sure hope I’m m way off base. But the history of this owner suggests otherwise.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Good post-game interviews with Hughes and Martin. I'm always blown away by the mental maturity of 22 year old Hughes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even though the score flatters us, that was an ugly win. Excellent first period, then legitimately have to wonder if the team was scoreboard watching and just lost their will to play after. Totally listless and uninspired. interesting offseason.
Dallas eliminating them by getting to OT and the lack of effort from that point, probably not a coincidence.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Why is it even a question? Garland is clearly the better player and on a great contract. Boeser should be the guy out, even if that’s just letting him walk for cap space. Hope I’m wrong, but I really believe ou4 owner sets the club’s philosophical direction.
When Francesco fired Benning and Green, and the team had no coach, he asked Rutherford basically for permission to hire Boudreau. And that was before Rutherford had actually been hired, so I don't think Francesco is telling Rutherford or Allvin what to do.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We fans can choose how we think. I think our owner is a guy who meddles in th3 direction of the team. I think he sets the philosophy. Any big trades go though him for approval. My opinion. I for sure hope I’m m way off base. But the history of this owner suggests otherwise.
He has to be humbled after the last 8 years. No doubt Gillis laid out what would happen if he didn't rebuild, he fired him and hired Benning. It unfolded just like Gillis laid it out to him. After 8 years of failure, Frankie had to be looking back to 2014 and regretting trying to push the pain down the road as all he's achieved is more pain. At some point he's going to accept a change in direction is needed or he'll face 8 years more pain. I think he might have reached that point in November.

Let's hope he didn't have a short memory.

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

And I dont believe for a second JR would have come here if that was the case.

Reactions: Godkolzin

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Alot of good things to look forward to next season. We might be eliminated, but I like a lot of aspects of this team heading into the near future. Overall I'm proud of this team and what they accomplished after a disastrous start to the year.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very sloppy game by both teams. Seattle, even with a friendly expansion draft, is your typical expansion team and Canucks are done after giving it all to overcome impossible odds. Canucks looked both physically and mentally spent at many points in this game.

Good

Martin - forced into many excellent saves due to all the defensive breakdowns and odd man situations. However was helped by some very erratic shooting by the Kraken. Might be, he should have been played ahead of the physically drained and likely injured Demko in the last few games.

Highmore - brings exactly the same game every game. Very steady and error free hockey. His forecheck and play in the neutral zone keyed any success his line had.

Garland - as usual, over the last while, our best player. Is emerging as true top line player.

OEL - thing that goes unnoticed somewhat is how well he makes passes out of his zone. Tripping penalty was brain dead but thought him and Myers were strong on some crucial PKs and kept the play mostly out of their zone.

Bad

Boeser - not only again not getting there but when he occasionally did get a play on the puck did absolutely nothing with it. Probably the poorest skating forward. Terrible end to the season continued.

Others

Hughes - nice that he got the record and certainly contributed offensively. But he and Schenn had some very rough moments in their own end

Pettersson - had nothing going in this game. His line was in near constant difficulties.

Miller - reached his frustration limit in this game. Looks mentally beat as he came to realize he couldn't get the team over the line.

Canucks finish just out of the playoffs which was a familiar prediction heading into the season. Few, however, could have predicted the way they got to that result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille