Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) - Quinn has Arrived

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I hate to be that guy again but I ALSO made the bold prediction that Hughes > Pettersson before Hughes ever played a single NHL game.

I don't think Hughes is > than Pettersson but in terms of style of play, Hughes is more exciting. How he had the balls to pull of that move and get an assist in his first NHL is incredible.

You can tell this fanbase has been starving for a high calibre offensive defenceman.

Reactions: Bougieman

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I don't think Hughes is > than Pettersson but in terms of style of play, Hughes is more exciting. How he had the balls to pull of that move and get an assist in his first NHL is incredible.

You can tell this fanbase has been starving for a high calibre offensive defenceman.
I dunno, Petey's first game was incredibly exciting as well.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Also seems like Pettersson is exhausted or injured, but you can tell he is going through a "slump" within his own standards. He just doesn't have the confidence to put the moves or shoot the puck like he did earlier in the season.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Hughes was incredible obvs, knew he had this in him but he blew away my expectations. Didn't know if he'd have his full game going right from his debut but there he was.

Great bounce back from Demko too. Happy for him, had to make alot of big saves.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Hughes is as advertised.

Smart player who knows that the simple smart play goes a long way.

His skating is elite already, and what wasn't talked about is how strong he is on his skates when being leaned on by an opponent.

That whole play from the blueline in to the bank off the net and skating out front for that was amazing. IT WAS HIS FIRST GAME!!!

Canucks have someone very special with Hughes. We have a right to be excited

member 290103

Also seems like Pettersson is exhausted or injured, but you can tell he is going through a "slump" within his own standards. He just doesn't have the confidence to put the moves or shoot the puck like he did earlier in the season.

It's actually starting to get a bit alarming. I mean, hopefully it's just fatigue given the excess of games over what he is used to, but he just can't seem to make passes like he used to or pull of moves like he was doing.

If he is injured, the team should have their collective heads examined continuing to play him.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

This is a reasonable take. Of course I'm not taking anything away from Pettersson and I never would. I think it'll always be close and it will will probably go back and forth from year to year like Daniel and Henrik, for who is better.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

No, he's not as assertive and confident out there. He's hesitating out there right now. Definitely in a slump. He's tired too. It's okay, he's been defended hard all season and been the focal point of other team's coaching.

Considering how light he is surprised he didn't hit a wall sooner. He'll be better as he matures physically.

Reactions: Bougieman

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just got back. Saw the Hughes assist, shame he didn't score there that would have been amazing. Point is a point. Now to get that OT shift video working.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
What's better than Pettersson? A franchise Dman? Just to be clear...

To be clear I think Pettersson is a franchise C and Hughes is a franchise D. I think Petey will top out as the 2nd or 3rd best offensive forward in the NHL and Hughes will be the clear cut best offensive defenseman in the world. So by that criteria I'd say Hughes will be a bit better.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
To be clear I think Pettersson is a franchise C and Hughes is a franchise D. I think Petey will top out as the 2nd or 3rd best offensive forward in the NHL and Hughes will be the clear cut best offensive defenseman in the world. So by that criteria I'd say Hughes will be a bit better.

Ah, but Pettersson will be the 2nd best offensive forward in the NHL while winning the Selke, so I think that still puts him ahead in the end.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Ummm, ok. That's an opinion alright.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver

Can we just appreciate them developing before throwing silly hyperbolic labels around? Get a grip.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I love what Luke Schenn has brought.

Anytime someone looks at Pettersson or Hughes wrong he's ready to straighten them out. Our team needs that badly. Bring back Schenn!
Yes i agree. Schenn has outplayed Gudbranson in every way and i was probably his biggest fan. Schenn deserves a contract with the Canucks next year.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yes i agree. Schenn has outplayed Gudbranson in every way and i was probably his biggest fan. Schenn deserves a contract with the Canucks next year.

Schenn deserves it, he's played his heart out since he got called up.
Seriously, Schenn was throwing his weight around during the scrums tonight and giving out hits after the fact..

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Can we just appreciate them developing before throwing silly hyperbolic labels around? Get a grip.

I’m not sure how “throwing silly hyperbolic labels around” prevents one from appreciating them develop. You’re coming off a lot like Don Cherry lecturing to Ovechkin stop celebrating after a goal right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad