Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) - Quinn has Arrived

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
VERY good chance that both Hughes brothers will be in the running for Calder next year.

Lets just hope it's for the same team.
I don't see Jack in the running for Calder. He's not going to be able to keep up to more developed rookies coming into the league next year like Cody Glass. Even Kakko is more ready than Hughes right now.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What a game!

Now that was a memorable debut!

I loved the scene of them leaving the ice... that was a hyped group of kids led by the high jumping Horvat...

To see the following Players leave the ice one after the other Virtanen, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes in one camera shot was something else...

Demko, Gaudette...

Youth was served this season... it's was a beautiful thing.

That was a fun game.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Solid debut by Hughes but this team still sucks

Granlund can gtfo

Willie is still a joke

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
LA should have blown us out early but had zero finish. The long struggles in the playoffs, etc... seems to have drained away any offensive talent their forwards once had. Canucks did well thru the latter part of the second and in the third and ultimately were, by OT, the better team.

Good

Hughes - lot to like. Quick and smart with the puck and has head up all the time. Something you'd like others like Hutton to have a little more of. Passing, I thought, was excellent - real nice touch. Some defensive problems but did seem to handle people fairly well one on one off the rush. Has outstanding first couple of strides.

Schenn - after watching him in Anaheim at the beginning of the year I didn't think we got much in the trade but maybe got to re-think that. When I watched him in Utica started to warm to this player as he made such a difference to the Comet defense and began to wonder if he had some NHL game left. Since the call up has put together many good performances. Believe he will get a NHL contract next year and hopefully Canucks can keep him at a decent price. Worry might be that he will lose some of the incentive he has now, and regress, if given any kind of length in his contract.

Boeser - getting back to the form he showed last year. Different player than the player that started the year. Hopefully really gets it together in the off season. Terms for his next contract remain a bit of quandary b/c of the unevenness of his season. Been all over the map this year. His leadership is becoming evident. Like to see Horvat get the 'C' and Boeser the 'A' moving ahead.

Pearson - plays a more complete two way game than most of the forwards.

Demko - one thing to like is how he made himself big in the net. Gave up very little net in the shoot out. Be good if this season could end the season on a positive note for Demko.

Not Good

Spooner - spurts of talent but overall just doesn't jell with anyone. This season is a write off for Spooner. Whether he can ever get his game back together and become the offensive threat he once was is really open to question. Maybe if he can get the groin problems behind him and get a full training game and pre-season he can provide something next year. Don't see a buy out in his case.

Schaller - Is he getting worse??? Basic skills like giving and receiving a pass seem missing.

Granlund - mostly a no show in this one. Needs to be dumped at the earliest opportunity.

Others

Levio - does not have a consistent game. Makes the good play here and there but total non factor on too many shifts

Virtanen - better in this game. But this game had little structure and in that environment Virtanen is more at home.

Hutton - think it is becoming real obvious that Stecher is better than Hutton. Hutton is very marginal top 4 player and there is no way he is top 4 on a top end NHL defense. Quickness is just not there.
I wonder if he is trade bait for getting more drafts.

Gaudette - best game in a while. Had more control in this game and was staying in the play better. Looking ahead Gaudette is going to have define his game better. Is he a good offensive player who can produce offense??? Is he a good defensive player who can force the play in every zone??? Don't think he is either of those right now.

Pettersson one of his better game over the last stretch. Maybe getting a second wind.

See Baertschi was sat. He has been miserable since his return and you have to have qualms about his future. You start penciling in next year's lineup and you have to question where he fits in.

When you look at the team that the Canucks seem to be putting together you think they would be better off if the NHL just went to 4 on 4 hockey.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
LA should have blown us out early but had zero finish. The long struggles in the playoffs, etc... seems to have drained away any offensive talent their forwards once had. Canucks did well thru the latter part of the second and in the third and ultimately were, by OT, the better team.

Good etc...

Agree with most of what you said. If I were to look at Pearson and Leivo with the view that I'm not sure they should carry both for much longer, Pearson is doing the better job. I don't think either should be in the top 6 but I'm more comfortable with Pearson in that slot. I guess I'm just not seeing what some see in Leivo. I'm seeing what Babcock saw.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agree with most of what you said. If I were to look at Pearson and Leivo with the view that I'm not sure they should carry both for much longer, Pearson is doing the better job. I don't think either should be in the top 6 but I'm more comfortable with Pearson in that slot. I guess I'm just not seeing what some see in Leivo. I'm seeing what Babcock saw.

For his acquisition price, Leivo has done a solid job and scored at a decent rate. I don’t know if he’s a long term solution for this team (I lean towards “he’s not”), but I’d bring him back on another 1 year, one-way deal to compete for a spot in camp. When he’s on, he’s good along the boards, has some good moves and a good shot. When he’s off, he blends into the woodwork a bit and gets to chasing the play in all three zones.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
For his acquisition price, Leivo has done a solid job and scored at a decent rate. I don’t know if he’s a long term solution for this team (I lean towards “he’s not”), but I’d bring him back on another 1 year, one-way deal to compete for a spot in camp. When he’s on, he’s good along the boards, has some good moves and a good shot. When he’s off, he blends into the woodwork a bit and gets to chasing the play in all three zones.

I don't disagree...of course that's pretty much the Babcock assessment!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't disagree...of course that's pretty much the Babcock assessment!

At least I’m in good company. :laugh: On a good team like Toronto, he’s on the outside looking in. In Vancouver, he could still be part of the team next year. I think he got a good opportunity this year in light of the injury to Baertschi, and he filled in pretty well. It’s also his first full NHL season. Curious to see if he can learn and grow from this, or if he plateaus.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty ****ing impressive that you have to pull **** up from a decade ago to make your point.
Looks like i outliked you and you're defence of NHL referee's . You did get one like from Peen though , doesn't really count. ;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hopefully they trade Virtanen for a young-ish defenseman who needs a change of scenery. I'm not expecting great value, but we need help on defense a lot more than another bottom six forward.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Was it me, or did the other Canucks D take a page from Quinn's book and start passing the puck harder (not only giving the receiver a chance to get it before someone is on him, but also makes it flutter less and can be easier to receive), particularly D to D on the offensive blue line?

Also, Schenn. Really liked his game last night. Here is what I saw - a guy who knew what his job was. Not to win the game. His job was to make Quinn's first NHL game go as smooth and good as possible - protect him from crap, cover for him on rushes, be available at all times for a pass to relieve pressure at the back end. Going to post this in one of the Schenn threads.

Boeser and Pettersson need their own forward version of Schenn. Nothing against Leivo, but he ain't it. I like Goldy, but he ain't it. A young Burrows, not sure where you find one.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Nice to see an exciting debut by Hughes. He has the skills to be a top notch d-man for us going forward. I'll have to see him play some more important games vs. some better opposition before I'll be entirely happy we took him over Dobson, though. And, of course, I'll have to see Dobson actually make it to the NHL as well. I'm also on Team Pettersson for the most important Canuck going forward. He's just hit a wall that we all figured he'd hit at some point. In another year or two, when he's hopefully not the only guy our opponents have to target, and he's bulked up a bit, I think he'll be a top 5 guy in the league.

Also, sign me up for re-signing Schenn. Now this is the veteran "mentorship" that we've been needing all along.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Like to see Horvat get the 'C' and Boeser the 'A' moving ahead.

Could not agree more. For the first time in a very long time, this team is developing a very good and passionate leadership group. Horvat is obviously the Captain and the emotional leader of this group. Him losing his shit in happiness when they won last night was so great to see. But man, I love Brock. Love everything about him. Even when he was struggling earlier this season, I thought he was a special player. I say it over and over again, but he's got that special sniper touched by God Gift that is so rare and reminds me of watching Kovalchuk back in the day. But the really cool thing is he seems to be a good and special person on top of being a good and special player. Just the personality he's revealed as he's gotten comfortable in Vancouver has shown him to be a fun, cool, laid back guy. I also really like the leadership he's shown, how he's improved and how he's taken Hughes under his wing. The chemistry they exhibited last night is tantalizing.

For someone who's as into the psychological aspect of sports as I am, I just feel this is burgeoning on one of the best groups we've had in a long time.

If we get rid of Benning and get a competent general manager who can build around these kids, things could reverse in Vancouver within two or three years.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Re-watched parts. Demko generally more solid but both those goals were not good at all. First one no reason to be sliding there - no attacker to worry about a pass to. That's what we call "Slide happy". Second one just an extremely poor track, looks like it basically went straight through on his blocker side well within reach. Not a laser either.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Re-watched parts. Demko generally more solid but both those goals were not good at all. First one no reason to be sliding there - no attacker to worry about a pass to. That's what we call "Slide happy". Second one just an extremely poor track, looks like it basically went straight through on his blocker side well within reach. Not a laser either.

He has work to do.
A LOT of gaps around his arms and his posts that weren't exposed last night. He looks a lot like early Markstrom.

A great foundation to start with.. and afforded the time and shelter behind Markstrom next year.
Pumped about his potential. Only going to get better from here.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea how Hughes will adjust to five-on-five, heavy hockey....but on three-on-three OT, are you kidding me? Can hit top speed in one stride and pivot on a dime.....And clearly has elite-level vision and passing skills.

The kid will be worth the price of admission for his OT skills alone. I can see Green putting him out there for most of the five minute extra session.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Was it me, or did the other Canucks D take a page from Quinn's book and start passing the puck harder (not only giving the receiver a chance to get it before someone is on him, but also makes it flutter less and can be easier to receive), particularly D to D on the offensive blue line?

Also, Schenn. Really liked his game last night. Here is what I saw - a guy who knew what his job was. Not to win the game. His job was to make Quinn's first NHL game go as smooth and good as possible - protect him from crap, cover for him on rushes, be available at all times for a pass to relieve pressure at the back end. Going to post this in one of the Schenn threads.

Boeser and Pettersson need their own forward version of Schenn. Nothing against Leivo, but he ain't it. I like Goldy, but he ain't it. A young Burrows, not sure where you find one.
I said this in the GDT.

Hughes will make Stecher better.

Hughes will make the entire defense better.

Just like Petey will make the top 6 better.

Petey and Hughes are legitimate foundational players.

And the funniest thing is, Jimbo can't say those words anymore because he would only get laughed at. Brandon Sutter? Lol. Effing dumbass.

Last edited:

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

Good

Hughes - lot to like. Quick and smart with the puck and has head up all the time. Something you'd like others like Hutton to have a little more of. Passing, I thought, was excellent - real nice touch. Some defensive problems but did seem to handle people fairly well one on one off the rush. Has outstanding first couple of strides.

Schenn - after watching him in Anaheim at the beginning of the year I didn't think we got much in the trade but maybe got to re-think that. When I watched him in Utica started to warm to this player as he made such a difference to the Comet defense and began to wonder if he had some NHL game left. Since the call up has put together many good performances. Believe he will get a NHL contract next year and hopefully Canucks can keep him at a decent price. Worry might be that he will lose some of the incentive he has now, and regress, if given any kind of length in his contract.

Boeser - getting back to the form he showed last year. Different player than the player that started the year. Hopefully really gets it together in the off season. Terms for his next contract remain a bit of quandary b/c of the unevenness of his season. Been all over the map this year. His leadership is becoming evident. Like to see Horvat get the 'C' and Boeser the 'A' moving ahead.

Pearson - plays a more complete two way game than most of the forwards.

Demko - one thing to like is how he made himself big in the net. Gave up very little net in the shoot out. Be good if this season could end the season on a positive note for Demko.

Not Good

Spooner - spurts of talent but overall just doesn't jell with anyone. This season is a write off for Spooner. Whether he can ever get his game back together and become the offensive threat he once was is really open to question. Maybe if he can get the groin problems behind him and get a full training game and pre-season he can provide something next year. Don't see a buy out in his case.

Schaller - Is he getting worse??? Basic skills like giving and receiving a pass seem missing.

Granlund - mostly a no show in this one. Needs to be dumped at the earliest opportunity.

Others

Levio - does not have a consistent game. Makes the good play here and there but total non factor on too many shifts

Virtanen - better in this game. But this game had little structure and in that environment Virtanen is more at home.

Hutton - think it is becoming real obvious that Stecher is better than Hutton. Hutton is very marginal top 4 player and there is no way he is top 4 on a top end NHL defense. Quickness is just not there.
I wonder if he is trade bait for getting more drafts.

Gaudette - best game in a while. Had more control in this game and was staying in the play better. Looking ahead Gaudette is going to have define his game better. Is he a good offensive player who can produce offense??? Is he a good defensive player who can force the play in every zone??? Don't think he is either of those right now.

Pettersson one of his better game over the last stretch. Maybe getting a second wind.

See Baertschi was sat. He has been miserable since his return and you have to have qualms about his future. You start penciling in next year's lineup and you have to question where he fits in.

When you look at the team that the Canucks seem to be putting together you think they would be better off if the NHL just went to 4 on 4 hockey.
I thought Spooner was pretty solid. I think a little more of Hutton. First game back after an injury, so I cut a little slack. I will continue my ongoing rant that Virtanen should be tried with Petterson. I see a huge upside for Virtanen and possibly even a small upside for Pettersen due to Jake's speed and toughness. Hell, Petey has got enough game smarts for two players. Cannot understand why Green has not tried this. And, yeah, I could be way wrong, but how about seeing how it works out.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Lmfao.

Is like 1% a very good chance?
Melvin, you are an expert at finding fault with minor sh*t. The Canucks have a 6% chance currently and Benning is probably motivated to try and do something special since the draft is in Vancouver, which is more likely his point. (Horvat and our first pick for the first pick overall?) I am tempted to fly from Oz to watch the draft.

Making an ad hominem attack goes against my nature, but you invite them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad