Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) - Quinn has Arrived

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You play to the league you have not the league you want. As it stands bad teams and teams that think they have OT figured out will try to take games to the extra frame. That's the reality of the NHL and even good teams will often play for the single point if the game is tied late in the 3rd.

You can't take anything meaningful from stats without these points because teams know that they exist and play accordingly.

Yes, and that's a shame. Scoring in the last 5 minutes of a tied game decreased sharply with the introduction of the loser point. It makes sense though to treat all these games as ties.

I'd also like to see the math that bears out 3-on-3 OT and the shootout as being coinflips. I'm not saying you're wrong but you've made this assertation a few times and I'd like to see your proof.

That's fair. I don't have time for this right now unfortunately. I got a job :(

On the weekend I'll put something together. It's something I've been meaning to post for awhile.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I wonder if Melvin realizes the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat et al. Have a good amount of ice time and chances in overtime? If it were merely a random game of shinny, why are the most skilled players around in OT?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Colorado has 3 ridiculous skilled good players and are something like 1-13 in OT this year, it's pretty random, maybe less random than the shootout but random nonetheless.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
How is your playoff beard going.[/QUOTE Pretty good. Gudbranson is a plus 7 with Pittsburgh. I like the Caps and i'm going with SJ because i like Evander Kane. Also wouldn't mind Winnipeg winning it this year. Can you grow a beard yet?:sc09::stanley::hockey:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Doesn't make GDT. Can't quote properly. Makes fun of people.

giphy.gif

I like that guy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Colorado has 3 ridiculous skilled good players and are something like 1-13 in OT this year, it's pretty random, maybe less random than the shootout but random nonetheless.

Here are all the teams OT records for the last two years mapped against each. You should expect to see a line shifting from lower left to upper right as skilled teams dominate you don't.

wxBxnYP.png

Reactions: cookiefest

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone else watching the Warriors in 30? They need to cover them more if they want more fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad