Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) - Quinn has Arrived

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
our latest savior sure is in the building

akaAkR5.png

When we're elite again, five years from now, ten years from now, twenty years from now. Remember what we went through...

Reactions: timw33

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If a team wins a bunch of its games on a coinflip like 3v3 and SO are, then it obviously doesn't bode well for future success or success in a format where neither of those things exist.

Like I said it's not a linear conclusion.

Unless you're prepared to say that Tampa is a mirage since they lead the league with Shootout wins this year.

Subsequently, Toronto must be the favorites since they beat everyone in regulation and have 0 shootout wins.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The NHL designed the current point system for this exact reason, to delude fans into thinking their team is close to being a playoff contender. That's what happened with a good number of fans in this market, despite the fact that their win total after 60 minutes will likely end up less than last year's, but since they have 11 OT/SO wins this year compared to 6 last year, they'll finish with more wins and points.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Like I said it's not a linear conclusion.

Unless you're prepared to say that Tampa is a mirage since they lead the league with Shootout wins this year.

Subsequently, Toronto must be the favorites since they beat everyone in regulation and have 0 shootout wins.

We can use the stats to accurately compare them to other teams record after 60 more accurately.

It’s relevant in a historical view of how bad/good a team is

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
The NHL designed the current point system for this exact reason, to delude fans into thinking their team is close to being a playoff contender. That's what happened with a good number of fans in this market, despite the fact that their win total after 60 minutes will likely end up less than last year's, but since they have 11 OT/SO wins this year compared to 6 last year, they'll finish with more wins and points.
Where's the tin foil hats? We got a conspiracy here.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
3v3 OT is a total joke that doesn't resemble hockey and has no correlation to the quality of the team. Just like 1v0. It should be 100% ignored for assessing the quality of a team and I would say the same, and have said the same, if the teams record in the coin flip circus is bad.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think most of the fan-base was pretty realistic. Even when they were only three or four points out, most mid-season polls had a majority predicting no playoffs for the Canucks.

But for the guys on House Radio, it's a much different story. I understand their role is make a silk purse out of a sow's ear at the best of the times, this year was frankly ridiculous. They were conjuring up the old "meaningful games in March' argument, while for most of the month the sports betting service had the Canucks playoff chances at about one percent.

But I guess in Gary Bettman's fake playoff world, the pom-pom waivers and cheerleaders will always have a field day.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Willie is a joke league wide. I'll never forget that game where someone had a stream and it didn't cut to ads during intermission, the commentators' mics were hot and they spent the entire time just absolutely bashing Willie and his decision making. Questioning if you could even play for him as a star player

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It can’t be stated enough that this ‘competitive’ team would have a 21-35-21 record if games ended after 60 minutes, which is a 66-point pace.

If we had pre-shootout OT rules, the team would be 28-40-9. 68 point pace.

How about the rest of the league? We can't be the only team that would look bad if SOWs didn't count.

Reactions: DarrenX

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
Willie is a joke league wide. I'll never forget that game where someone had a stream and it didn't cut to ads during intermission, the commentators' mics were hot and they spent the entire time just absolutely bashing Willie and his decision making. Questioning if you could even play for him as a star player
Is that clip anywhere online?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When Kesler was 22/23 he wanted to play here; what guarantees are you making that they won’t change like he did?
All the losing turned Kesler off. Are you that obtuse?:sarcasm:
(we were never below .500 when Kesler was a Canuck; conversely we will be probably below .500 for at least four straight seasons under this regime).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Therapy Mailbag

Q: Have you written your Willie Desjardins coaching eulogy yet? How long is it? Will it be safe to read at work?
—Charlie P., Beirut, Lebanon
ML: Two versions are ready. Both are hovering around 2,500 words. I need to cut it to 1,100 words max. Also, I started a third version in case Willie can’t tank the remaining seven games properly.

Q: If the Kings get Jack Hughes in the draft, will the team hang a banner in Willie Desjardins honor?

—Stan G., Hollywood, California
ML: Anaheim and Nashville would. However, the Kings should invite Willie to the sweater retirement ceremony 25 years from now. A top two pick in June would not be possible without him for sure.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad