Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kings - 3-2 (SO) - Quinn has Arrived

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This game is something out of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. One of the few NHL teams worse than the Canucks with a coach behind the bench, who has a chance to stick it to his former team and officially eliminate them.

Looking at the remainder of the schedule after tonight, this might actually be only winnable game. Too bad the only team that can likely catch the Canucks is Anaheim. If Markstrom had played the last couple of months like he's played the last two games the Canucks might have had a legit shot at the first overall pick.

It's like Groundhog Day...another long losing streak to end a dreary campaign. I suppose the braintrust will try to put the best positive spin on things at the season wrap-up. But the reality is, their best player is a 20-year rookie who's currently on an 18-game goal-less drought.

That's what makes the Quinn Hughes watch so fascinating. If he shows major flashes in the last five contest, the Canucks might actually go into the off-season with a glimmer of optimism.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Willie is a joke league wide. I'll never forget that game where someone had a stream and it didn't cut to ads during intermission, the commentators' mics were hot and they spent the entire time just absolutely bashing Willie and his decision making. Questioning if you could even play for him as a star player

I think without even asking them, you could guess that they are pros and will do what the coach tells them to do. But I also think everyone is human, and prefer understanding what the coach wants rather than uncertainty.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Willie is a bad coach but that team of fossils was going to be terrible this season regardless. Blaming the season on him is a bit much.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
3v3 OT is a total joke that doesn't resemble hockey and has no correlation to the quality of the team. Just like 1v0. It should be 100% ignored for assessing the quality of a team and I would say the same, and have said the same, if the teams record in the coin flip circus is bad.

10x better than the shootout, though.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
3v3 is actually a test of speed and skill. Thus we don't see the likes of Matt Martin and Milan Lucic in overtime.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Well, when Kesler was roughly 22 (in 2006), he signed a contract with another team (Philadelphia). So he technically didn’t want to play here, or was at least prepared to leave for more money. Vancouver just matched it.
Pretty sure if any team offered to double any player on the teams salary they'd all leave.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Well, when Kesler was roughly 22 (in 2006), he signed a contract with another team (Philadelphia). So he technically didn’t want to play here, or was at least prepared to leave for more money. Vancouver just matched it.

There's no reason not to sign an offer sheet when you're young tbh. It's a win win. You want your current team to want you enough to match, if not then you get money on another team that wants you.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
3v3 is actually a test of speed and skill. Thus we don't see the likes of Matt Martin and Milan Lucic in overtime.

It's a good showcase for bad hockey players who do a lot of dipsy doodling and sick danglez bro and other things that don't actually work during real hockey when defense exists.

Someone like hunter Shinkaruk would be great at 3v3

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
There's no reason not to sign an offer sheet when you're young tbh. It's a win win. You want your current team to want you enough to match, if not then you get money on another team that wants you.
Unless you want to stay and win with your current team (mates)

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
It's a good showcase for bad hockey players who do a lot of dipsy doodling and sick danglez bro and other things that don't actually work during real hockey when defense exists.

Someone like hunter Shinkaruk would be great at 3v3

When I think of bad hockey players, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, and a bunch of other slugs and non-shooters, non-passers and non-stick handlers come to mind.

How often do they show up on 3v3?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I honestly can't believe Demko still isn't playing. This is ****ing hilarious.

6GP, 3.31/.893

Yep, it sure was important to get him to the NHL as soon as possible. Combined with his 16 games in Utica this kid will likely finish the season having played 25 games or less.

Yielding to the pressure of his camp (family and agent) to get him to the NHL may not turn out to have been such a brilliant move. Not the way you want to develop a promising keeper. They need to play as much as possible.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
When I think of bad hockey players, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, and a bunch of other slugs and non-shooters, non-passers and non-stick handlers come to mind.

There are different ways to be a bad player. A guy like Goldobin is also bad, despite being "skilled."

3v3 is just ridiculous. It reduces the highest level of hockey in the world to basically shinny. I don't care who is good at shinny.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

This is a few days old, but here are the best 3 v 3 teams ranked on 3 v 3 wins vs losses, The # is their current position on the overall table.

15Montreal Canadiens
1Tampa Bay Lightning
5Washington Capitals
9Nashville Predators
17Arizona Coyotes
7Winnipeg Jets
18Philadelphia Flyers
22Chicago Blackhawks
25Buffalo Sabres
11Vegas Golden Knights
24Edmonton Oilers
26Anaheim Ducks
27New York Rangers
3Boston Bruins
12Carolina Hurricanes
13Columbus Blue Jackets
20Colorado Avalanche
8New York Islanders
23Vancouver Canucks
30Los Angeles Kings
29Detroit Red Wings
14St. Louis Blues
21Florida Panthers
28New Jersey Devils
10Pittsburgh Penguins
19Minnesota Wild
2Calgary Flames
4San Jose Sharks
16Dallas Stars
31Ottawa Senators
6Toronto Maple Leafs DNQ
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There are different ways to be a bad player. A guy like Goldobin is also bad, despite being "skilled."

3v3 is just ridiculous. It reduces the highest level of hockey in the world to basically shinny. I don't care who is good at shinny.

You play to the league you have not the league you want. As it stands bad teams and teams that think they have OT figured out will try to take games to the extra frame. That's the reality of the NHL and even good teams will often play for the single point if the game is tied late in the 3rd.

You can't take anything meaningful from stats without these points because teams know that they exist and play accordingly.

-----

I'd also like to see the math that bears out 3-on-3 OT and the shootout as being coinflips. I'm not saying you're wrong but you've made this assertation a few times and I'd like to see your proof.

Reactions: sexydonut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad