Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Hurricanes - 2-1 (Boeser, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Man it's fun to watch hockey again. And it's not only about winning. It's about hope that this team has direction and can build towards being an even more competitive team.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Man it's fun to watch hockey again. And it's not only about winning. It's about hope that this team has direction and can build towards being an even more competitive team.
Even more competitive? When has this team ever been competitive outside of a few bubble games? I think you meant: towards building a competitive team. Winning 4 games at home with 3 teams b2b does not mean much. It's good but it won't last unless JR makes some home run trades. I won't get that excited because this team has won 4-5 games in a row before and then crashed. Let's wait untill the end of december and see where we are.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Even more competitive? When has this team ever been competitive outside of a few bubble games? I think you meant: towards building a competitive team. Winning 4 games at home with 3 teams b2b does not mean much. It's good but it won't last unless JR makes some home run trades. I won't get that excited because this team has won 4-5 games in a row before and then crashed. Let's wait untill the end of december and see where we are.
I have no illusions that the team is going to play 0.800 hockey for the rest of the season. The 10 game stretch in January is likely to bring a huge dose of humility/reality even if they keep winning through December. Playing at their best for a whole season they are still only a playoff bubble team. But they aren't Arizona either. What was depressing up until 10 days ago was that that marginally competitive team wasn't going to get better. New coach and management give hope that they can build on what they have.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

With Bruce it's good to feel confident about at least one guy in the organization in a customer-facing role, who sets clear objectives that can be measured and has an eye on the short term to take care of the long term and will tell it how it actually is rather than dogmatic communication.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Hey canucks fans, just wanted to drop in and say I was really impressed with the crowd and the atmosphere at rogers last night. It was my first time attending a game in Vancouver and I wasn’t sure what to expect on a Sunday night against a non-rival team. We had a great time even without getting the win.

Hoping for the best for your franchise. You’ve got some great young players to build upon.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Among forwards - got to think Di Giuseppe, Rempal and Dries are deserving of a look for call up duty. They’ve pretty much been the Abbotsford offense so far this year.

I don’t see anyone being waived / demoted just yet, though - unless injuries hit.
I really liked PDG’s training camp. Was a little shocked he didn’t make the team. Sounds like he’s gotten off to a good start in the A. Definitely wouldn’t mind him getting called up at some point.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
With Bruce it's good to feel confident about at least one guy in the organization in a customer-facing role, who sets clear objectives that can be measured and has an eye on the short term to take care of the long term and will tell it how it actually is rather than dogmatic communication.
good summary. I agree.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is a lot of fun. players are playing up to or above their potential. 23:50 for poolman is not a typo.

i give full credit to boudreau that he has in a short time made multiple adjustments to green's system that the team can quickly implement that green had not tried or had given up on, and which have unlocked the team and countered the game plans other teams have used to consistently beat them.

it's partly a credit to green that he had the team playing well defensively 5v5 as a starting point, but suddenly there is predatory offence that green has coached out of the team.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
One thing worth noting is that we're scoring at the same pace in these past 4 games as we have all season, the biggest difference is who's scoring and that Demko has played out of his mind posted a 0.964 sv% in these past 4 games. We still need to get the offense rolling at the same time as the goaltending, but that gets easier with OEL back on the ice.

Shellshockedfrom2011

Aug 9, 2021
Where are the “Pettersson is entitled” brigade now??

It’s pretty evident now that it was the previous f***ing management and coaching staffs, not him…

It is funny how fans forget that players can armchair GM too. I would wager that EP was very discouraged by the off-season losing Tanev and Toffoli, only to have their cap hit poorly allocated. Doesn't give him a full pass but still

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Watched the game on PVR.

Forgetting about the results for a second, that was a more complete effort than the WPG game.

Travis Green's absolute downfall was not establishing a culture of trust among the younger cast of players on this squad. In his screwed up universe, it was essential to have low impact forward in defensive situations verses your skilled guys that could both control the puck and eat up the clock and creative offensive scoring chances instead.

In contrast, BB has got the whole team engaged and buying into his system. The biggest shame is that we didn't get him sooner.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Hey canucks fans, just wanted to drop in and say I was really impressed with the crowd and the atmosphere at rogers last night. It was my first time attending a game in Vancouver and I wasn’t sure what to expect on a Sunday night against a non-rival team. We had a great time even without getting the win.

Hoping for the best for your franchise. You’ve got some great young players to build upon.
Good thing you didn't go to a game before December 5!

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
impossible to overstate how Green's lax defensive system and passive play along the wall
The thing that made me hate Green early, was the propensity for his team to lose puck battles on the sideboards.

Seems like any time a "good team over there" pressures anyone on the sides, we lose the puck.

So it's nice to see us win those battles again using the same personnel that Green had issues with.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The thing that made me hate Green early, was the propensity for his team to lose puck battles on the sideboards.

Seems like any time a "good team over there" pressures anyone on the sides, we lose the puck.

So it's nice to see us win those battles again using the same personnel that Green had issues with.
I noted this in the first period.

Under BB there are second and third efforts to keep pucks in the offensive zone. It's not always translating just yet, but there's a lot more active attacking going on. Green's system was supposed to be responsible but it lead to way too much one-man forechecking and a passive make one attempt to keep the puck in and then fall back to the neutral zone type play. We had to defend in our zone a lot rather than making every attempt to stay in the opponent's zone all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad