Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 7-1 (Bure x2, Linden x2, Courtnall x2, Adams) - McLean comes up big

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
So your nostalgia boner is better then their nostalgia boners?

Not at all! I enjoy when we wear the skate, I enjoy all the jersey variants(they really need to wear the spaghetti. I want to see that hideousness live). I just don't want it become our full time jersey and don't think its the best jersey this franchise has

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
playoff bar right now is actually at a 97 pt pace and the Canucks don’t hold a tie breaker so they would need 98pts.

Plus people keep talking about our record under BB, but fail to take into account the original bump we got.

Since BB came in and Benning was booted I have really enjoyed following this team again and not hate watched. However it’s important to be realistic. We have like a 10% chance at the playoffs.
Thats what I was meaning. Once you start to look at the mathematical possibility of making playoffs, for any sport, as a fan you know it ant gonna happen.

Although the playoff bar is often higher in the first half of the season and then drops two or three points by the end.

once you are looking to see what teams need to loose for you make up ground, I don’t think I have followed a team that has actually made it.

Maybe I’m just jaded… But I start hoping for players to do well not wins at that stage

Reactions: racerjoe

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Weird game.

I thought we played well but also that the score wasn't at all representative of the play. Game was 1-0 at the mid-way point and Demko had stood on his head to get to that point including stopping two breakaways.

Then our PP started lighting up and the wheels came off Calgary when Markstrom came out.

Top players actually played like top players and the best line wasn't the Motte line, which has been rare and was good to see.
I thought that scoring opportunities were fairly even in the first period and most of the second...Marky made some miraculous saves (great save off podz comes to mind)..Shots were fairly even...At the end of the day, Marky was the second best goalie in this game (it looked like everything was going in over his right side shoulder)...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought that scoring opportunities were fairly even in the first period and most of the second...Marky made some miraculous saves (great save off podz comes to mind)..Shots were fairly even...At the end of the day, Marky was the second best goalie in this game (it looked like everything was going in over his right side shoulder)...

I thought Calgary had an edge in the first although not by a huge amount and we didn't play poorly. First half of the 2nd was likewise even other than us getting a PP goal.

Then the PPs just kept coming and the wheels came off Calgary.

And yeah, it was interesting where the goals went in on Markstrom. Scouting report stuff there, you'd think.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Finally, a game where the Canucks were firing on all cylinders...Thats been a rare occurrence this season..Everyone was going...Its tough stretch of games coming up though..B2B against NYR,NJD..NYI,TOR...

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
And yeah, it was interesting where the goals went in on Markstrom. Scouting report stuff there, you'd think.

Markstrom was conceding the top half of the net with his positioning. He wasn't too deep from what I saw, but he was crouching too low into his stance. It seemed like he was cheating down low to so that he could smother low shots quicker. He almost looked like he was making himself small, like watching a short goalie even though Markstrom isn't short. He also lost track of his position wrt his posts on the Pettersson goal.

hefsbeaver

Jun 20, 2009
So your saying there's a chance!!!

playoff bar right now is actually at a 97 pt pace and the Canucks don’t hold a tie breaker so they would need 98pts.

Plus people keep talking about our record under BB, but fail to take into account the original bump we got.

Since BB came in and Benning was booted I have really enjoyed following this team again and not hate watched. However it’s important to be realistic. We have like a 10% chance at the playoffs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think there is a decent chance we look back on this game as the highlight of the season.

the crowd was loose and awesome. there was some loose firewagon scoring going on. we crushed a rival and they ended up in full entertaining meltdown.

the only thing missing was three pass tap in goals, although the penalty shot was filthy. this team still seems to be only able to score with awesome shots. but that is a quibble.

as regular season games go, it will be hard to top.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Markstrom was conceding the top half of the net with his positioning. He wasn't too deep from what I saw, but he was crouching too low into his stance. It seemed like he was cheating down low to so that he could smother low shots quicker. He almost looked like he was making himself small, like watching a short goalie even though Markstrom isn't short. He also lost track of his position wrt his posts on the Pettersson goal.
Sometimes you have to just hand it to the shooters. I don't think Markstrom did anything wrong on either the Pettersson or the Miller pp goals. They were just perfect shots into the top corner of the net into openings the size of a dime. Basically unstoppable.

And Petey's 'one-timer' is back! When a goalie is forced to move cross-crease, it opens up holes and when a guy is firing a puck at 92mph, it's a lethal weapon. How many goals has Ovechkin scored from the same spot with a one-timer? The goalies know it's coming, but still can't stop it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So your saying there's a chance!!!

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
What a fun game. I am torn between wanting to make the playoffs and wanting to improve the team. I see lots of people don't want to trade Miller and, to an extent, Boesser. Frankly, I would like to trade them both for some high potential young talent. You don't get something for nothing. And Miller is going to be on the decline within a year or so and is going to be very expensive. If Rutherford doesn't trade him I would think it is only because someone hasn't offered enough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When the Canucks play like they did last night from the goaltender on out, you'd have to say they should be a playoff team. But unfortunately those types of games have been few and far between.

Even under Boudreau, they've had trouble stringing 60 minutes together, and have rode Demko's brilliance to a few of their victories.

Now it's on to the road. They get a bit of break in New York and New Jersey, who were playing road games tonight and over the weekend. So maybe the home teams will be tired for a change when the Canucks arrive. Even the Islanders just wrapped up a long West Coast swing.

So potentially winnable games.....but the Canucks really have no choice but to keep winning because they're not getting much help these days on the out-of-town scoreboard.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I think trading Miller is a consideration that the Canucks need to think about. Based on what I am seeing, the Canucks could easily pick up a first, a third, a young second year prospect playing on an NHL team (and former first rounder) , and possibly more OR an opportunity for the Canucks to dump a player if the trading team had cap space. Miller is older than the rest of the core and the Canucks need draft picks and another young player who has the potential to be part of the core moving forward.

For Boeser - would prefer not to trade him, but his contract is up and his qualifying offer is very high. Canucks need to come to an agreement with Boeser soon...

What a fun game. I am torn between wanting to make the playoffs and wanting to improve the team. I see lots of people don't want to trade Miller and, to an extent, Boesser. Frankly, I would like to trade them both for some high potential young talent. You don't get something for nothing. And Miller is going to be on the decline within a year or so and is going to be very expensive. If Rutherford doesn't trade him I would think it is only because someone hasn't offered enough.

Reactions: mossey3535

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think trading Miller is a consideration that the Canucks need to think about. Based on what I am seeing, the Canucks could easily pick up a first, a third, a young second year prospect playing on an NHL team (and former first rounder) , and possibly more OR an opportunity for the Canucks to dump a player if the trading team had cap space. Miller is older than the rest of the core and the Canucks need draft picks and another young player who has the potential to be part of the core moving forward.

For Boeser - would prefer not to trade him, but his contract is up and his qualifying offer is very high. Canucks need to come to an agreement with Boeser soon...

I say keep Miller and trade Brock

Brock to Minny in the offseason??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad