Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 7-1 (Bure x2, Linden x2, Courtnall x2, Adams) - McLean comes up big

4BlindMice

Jan 13, 2022
Calgary Sucks.

I wonder why they only bring back the most awesome wicked jersey in the history of Professional sports when they need a revenue bump? It's too bad.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Calgary Sucks.

I wonder why they only bring back the most awesome wicked jersey in the history of Professional sports when they need a revenue bump? It's too bad.

This makes no sense. They've trotted out the skate jersey a couple of times over the last few years as well as other revenue generators like the Millionaires jerseys or the throwback skate in rink jerseys. All profit-driven organisations chase revenue. They probably don't trot it out more often as part of a broader strategy to not overload the market with too many jersey variations at once and to keep some exclusivity and scarcity value. Which form a business point of view makes sense. Everyone in the market gets hyped when they wear these jerseys partly because they only use it occasionally. If they wore them for half their home games that effect would become marginal.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames fan here. Not sure how Pettersson is currently playing but he's been a real Flames killer in the past.
I assure you, nobody on the Flames side is taking this game lightly... plus on top of that the Flames game has been sliding recently. The last couple of games they're shown up with their B game and only some timely goaltending has saved their asses.

Reactions: CanuckCity

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Win or lose, we’re going to look damn good doing it.

Would be nice to halt Calgary’s win streak in its tracks - but the boys will need to be ready to play from the second the puck drops. Any slow starts tonight will mean a long night.

Halt their win streak, you say?

Hmm would Toffoli Markstrom and Tanev have something to say about that?

Nah...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who would have known that it only takes 550 games before a defenseman really gets his game together....Gudbranson having a career year

Suck it Lames

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I was really looking to the last Flames/Canucks game (Calgary hasn't lost a game since then btw), and it turned out to be an extremely dull affair...Then it occurred to me who the opposing coach was, Sutter has the ability to deflate the game down to its most mundane level..The Canucks weren't very good in that game, only 1 shot in the 1st, which wound up being a scoreless game in reg (Johnny hockey won it in OT.)

Flames have only conceded 114 goals against this season, (best in the Western Conference)..That is eye popping impressive.

Should be a good test for the Canucks tonight...I would under most circumstances say the Canucks would have a good chance of breaking the Flames 10 game unbeaten streak..Unfortunately, the other team has Markstrom,Tanev, Richardson,Toffoli, Gudbranson, and collectively, I'm sure they have other ideas..

Like the Leafs, this is a team I always want beat, they are our natural rival..Maybe the Canucks 90's throwback uni's inspire them a bit.

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Flames fan here. Not sure how Pettersson is currently playing but he's been a real Flames killer in the past.
I assure you, nobody on the Flames side is taking this game lightly... plus on top of that the Flames game has been sliding recently. The last couple of games they're shown up with their B game and only some timely goaltending has saved their asses.
He's playing better...but you're thinking a couple of years ago..Last time we played you guys, you would have needed a program to find him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not surprising to me that Gudbranson is having a bounce-back season in Calgary. He's the type of lumbering, physical d-man who'll thrive under Sutter's suffocating defensive system.

But in Vancouver and Ottawa, where blueliners need lateral skating agility and the ability to beat a hard, physical forecheck, he was a man on an island. It makes me think that Myers would probably revive his career as well if the Canucks ever traded him to the same type of defensive team.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
4341ba3bbfe1df7703bd07cddb08ddd1409c2cf3.gifv

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gudbranson is also getting *super* easy minutes - 17 minutes/game on the 3rd pairing with 61% o-zone starts (softest on the team). He's getting big-time sheltered compared to how teams tried using him in the past.

Reactions: xtra

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This is a "no lose" game.

Not expected to win any result short of a double digit loss can be regarded as a plus.

Underdogs have a tradition of upsetting great teams in a one off game.

Hopefully the game is talked about and not what is happening in the rest of the world, meaning Podkolzin.

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

You inherited that trait from the Canucks players

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is a "no lose" game.

Not expected to win any result short of a double digit loss can be regarded as a plus.

Underdogs have a tradition of upsetting great teams in a one off game.

Hopefully the game is talked about and not what is happening in the rest of the world, meaning Podkolzin.
Canucks are currently five points adrift of the final wildcard spot in the West. So every game from here on in is almost a 'must win'.

It's something of a shame really. Under Bruce Boudreau, the Canucks probably are good enough to the a wildcard team in the West, at the very least. But their 8-15 start is going to basically cost them their season.

But maybe in the longer term, another season of no playoff gates will enable this revamped front office to make some of the major roster changes that the franchise clearly needs. So from that perspective, most of the rest of their season is probably comprised of 'no lose' games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00