Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 8-5 (Kuzmenko x3, Horvat x2, Pettersson, Miller, Joshua)

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Sometimes i just cant see what some of you do. Pearson is having a strong game from where i'm watching

Pod is playing better but still has some confidence and assertiveness issues
People have bias. Pearson is associated with the Benning era and will always be hated. He is a fine player that plays hard and brings some grit. But he is boring and will never be able to redeem himself

Reactions: sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
People have bias. Pearson is associated with the Benning era and will always be hated. He is a fine player that plays hard and brings some grit. But he is boring and will never be able to redeem himself
Nah.

Pearson was really good last year for us and people appreciated him.

He has been awful this year.

i actually don't associate pearson with benning. do you associate pettersson or hughes with benning?

the players i associate the most with jimbo are OEL, Myers, and Boeser

Weird. Why are you not associating the players you like, that were brought in, under Jimbos management with him?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Few things

- Bear looks to be a compatible partner for OEL..The pairing looked steady for one player in his second game of the season ,and another who is struggling.

- Horvat ‘s skating is impressive lately..no longer moving like a cement mixer..Aman is also a good skater..

-Pete’s line looked dangerous all night..treat to watch

-Myers /Stillman duo was an adventure..Myers passing was really clumsy tonight.

Win 3 of the last 4..keep it rolling

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I wasn’t able to join you fine folks tonight

If it works out, I have a concept for the Game against the Preds. I’ll do my best to Post it around midnight prior to Game Day.

Thank you so much @Vector for getting the Pre-Game / GDT’s out regularly
124B7118-E321-46B9-95BB-EB6F645A339F.gif

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Finding it hard to enjoy Kuzmenko knowing he’s likely gone next year (unless he takes a team friendly deal???), the deadweight of Boeser and Garland need to be shipped out.

Management needs to do everything they can to lock down Pettersson and Kuz for the foreseeable future. They are a tandem that could do some damage in this league.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Overall, nice to get the victory. Always fun when the home team puts up an 8 on the scoreboard, particularly on a night honouring a fan favourite. Still lots of work to be done for this team though and certainly not the convincing win many of us were hoping for. Defense and in particular our PK remains a major issue.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson line had a field day. Kuzmenko has been quite good and continues to get better with each game. This combination continues to build chemistry and has been the only line to consistently apply offensive pressure game to game. Petey continues to establish himself as a top tier two way centre.

Thought Miller had a pretty poor effort. Garland was similarly bad and I think either he or Boeser are prime candidates to be traded for some more help on the back end. Horvat definitely the best of that line and boy is he ever on a heater right now.

As for the other forwards, Joshua had another strong game and he’s been an excellent off season pickup. Aman was pretty good and the others had fairly nondescript games.

As for our defense, good lord is Stillman struggling right now. He was absolutely horrid today. Guy needs to take a seat in the press box. Any of our other options and in particular Burroughs would be a superior replacement. Not sure what the love affair with player is about. Seems like a poor pick up at this point. Hughes moved the puck well and thought overall had a good game. Bear had a really nice game as well and he’s been strong in his two appearances. Seems better than advertised in his own zone and a few times was able to separate the puck nicely from his man. OEL certainly benefited and that pair overall was decent.

Improving the PK needs to be the primary focus for the coaching staff right now. It is absolutely atrocious right now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean, I think this is how we all envisioned this team operating this year. Outscoring their opposition and being good on the PP. Hopefully passable on the PK.

But man does the goaltending stink right now. Neither Demko or Martin is tracking the puck well. Technique-wise I think you can make some quibbles for both of them but good tracking solves almost all problems. Martin tonight literally whiffed on at least three goals. He had early head track for the most part and got to his spot quickly but then just missed it. I can say much the same for Demko.

I don't know what drills they're working on in practice but Clark needs to build up their confidence quick. The issue with a lot of movement and battle drills is that in the former the play is very predictable so it doesn't necessarily recreate game conditions, while the latter purposely puts the goalie in a disadvantageous position. Between team practice and goalie drills, the traditional problem is that the netminder sees a lot of pucks but doesn't necessarily work on their skating. I suspect both these guys are too pre-occupied with movement and for whatever reason aren't confident picking up the puck. I don't necessarily see them behind the play all that much (Demko still has an issue with early eyes on passes IMO but that's for another post), they are in their spot and just don't react or in the case of Martin tonight flat out miss saveable shots.

Because of the puck volume these guys see it's usually not the case that their reflexes are letting them down. In the case of two day breaks between starts I'd expect that the starter isn't doing as much individual work with the goalie coach since someone needs to play in the team practices. This has been confirmed by previous comments by Luongo, Schneider, etc citing longer breaks being chances to catch up with the goalie coach a bit.

In goalie-only practice, the coach often emphasizes skating, basic technique, and game situations. Often several are combined. Skating normally has a huge effect on squareness and the ability to set before shots and that 5-10% efficiency a goalie gives up in positioning can amount to a 1-2 goals a game. Or little habits can creep in like poor stick discipline.

I guess they could go back to some hand-eye fundamentals and try to make sure more movement drills end up with challenging shots instead of repetitions. If the problem is mental, Clark has a reputation of being good at motivating his guys and helping them prepare mentally.

Honestly I'm a little shocked it's been this bad. Martin looked good in one of his three starts. Demko has had some quality starts but not sure I've seen him in his previous form even once. I don't even count that Carolina game, he was decent but not great since a lot of his good saves he created with poor rebound control. Usually between two guys one will at least go on a hot streak for 1-2 games. I don't think we've seen that at all.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Great stat and I don’t want to be a hater but only 2 of the 10 have come at 5v5.
It's needed. While ES production is great, the team must win the special teams battles if they have hopes to make the playoffs. Bo is very important with his PP and shootout goals. Those directly steal points that make the difference between a miss or wildcard. He's also been robbed a few times, and had inside posts (stress the inside, as im never impressed by the "shots" that hit crossbar and over the net). Probably our best shooter, and I don't think anyone is worried about his playoff goal scoring should we get there.

Also someone has to do it. EP gets the trigger man spot, but has 0 PP goals so far, and only 1 primary assist. I'd find a tall bridge if the PP was where the PK is at right now.

Draisatl also only has 2 ESG..

Last edited:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Kuzmenko is who we thought Boeser would become after his rookie season - I think he’s that good. It’s a shame Boeser has regressed to the extent that he has, but can’t help but feel bad for the kid. He needs a fresh start.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wasn’t able to join you fine folks tonight

If it works out, I have a concept for the Game against the Preds. I’ll do my best to Post it around midnight prior to Game Day.

Thank you so much @Vector for getting the Pre-Game / GDT’s out regularly
View attachment 603096

I usually start the GDTs when the practice lines get announced. So if the Canucks don't practice today, you're golden.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
5 goals against playing one of the worst teams in the league

This is a defensive system disaster. It not all on the D but Stillman has been horrible and it seems he is in a lineup to justify what we gave up to dump Dick

Politics over playing better option? Really?

A blind person can see Stillman is just a horrible option and an AHL level guy at best

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
5 goals against playing one of the worst teams in the league

This is a defensive system disaster. It not all on the D but Stillman has been horrible and it seems he is in a lineup to justify what we gave up to dump Dick

Politics over playing better option? Really?

A blind person can see Stillman is just a horrible option and an AHL level guy at best
A defensive system of any kind is hard to sustain throughout uninterrupted play when almost your entire defence is playing above their station. Hughes is great and I think he's above-average defensively, he belongs on a top pairing. But our all-situations guy can't seem to put one foot in front of the other in any kind of traffic, Myers only shows up some nights, and everyone else is just not good enough to play regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad