Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 8-5 (Kuzmenko x3, Horvat x2, Pettersson, Miller, Joshua)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really don't want to trade away more high picks(which would be the cost), to me it's a slippery slope with the "they're going for it with this core during these next 3-4 years" logic. Because then what's stopping management from shopping around their 1st round pick this year too?
nothing other than market outrage and optics

they’ve chosen a near impossible path with no flexibility and - at this point - have not shown a willingness to make tough moves

it will take miracles to accumulate the prospects we need to while getting better and younger without giving up much if anything

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Can't give a great game review because I spent most of the game:

a) peeing because my bladder anytime beer hits it, game over.

b) there was chip emergency at carve and my wife won't eat coleslaw as a side.

But it was fun to cheer for all the goals. And to watch my step mom, shitfaced, talk to literally everyone that crossed her path.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One of those games were the Canucks were able to outscore their defense and PK problems.

Good

Pettersson - both offensively and defensively. Looked like a superstar in this one. Team like the Ducks gave him some room and if you do that he can eat you up

Horvat - real force in this game. Carried his line as neither Miller or Garland were particularly good. Shouldn't be on the PK although did ok on the late penalty kill

Kuzmenko - got the touch. Problem is how do we pay him with Boeser hanging around.. If they can get Mikheyev finishing anything, this line might be real trouble for anyone.

Joshua. - seems to have some skill around the net. Helped set up some good chances and puck management was good through neutral zone.

Bad

Stillman - (aptly named given his glacial skating pace) Was absolute trash in this one. Boudreau needs to give his head a shake. Burroughs has looked way better. Stillman is backed in on everything, way behind the play coming out of his end and slow at both blue lines. Really hated BB putting him right back out after his terrible coverage on the third goal against (I think it was the third). Like it was going to make his skating better or somehow make him playable??? Throw in on the getting rid of the Dickinson contract deal who has middling minor league written all over him. Should be out of here pronto.

Others

Hughes - not playing up to potential. Shot from the point is simply too soft and readable.

Myers - poor start but picked it up as game went on. Still he is not strong enough to carry Stillman

Aman - had the one good shift on the Joshua goal but he is beginning to labor. Showed little finish with passing or shot.

Studnicka - better. However so far has shown little upper level skill.

Martin - didn't help that the game got as ragged as it did but this was his worse performance as a Canuck IMO. Gave up too much net and stopped challenging shooters. Instead started falling back in his net, Got things to work on.

Bear - showing he has wheels. Couple of give-aways in his end but not so many as other defensemen. Could see him moving into a top four position although that says more about the state of our defense.

Win and nice that Kuzmenko showed so well. But as far as the League goes this was a toilet bowl type game with two the worse teams in the League. Canucks continued to illustrate some desperate confusion at times and you can't have a couple of players carrying the team..

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
nothing other than market outrage and optics

they’ve chosen a near impossible path with no flexibility and - at this point - have not shown a willingness to make tough moves

it will take miracles to accumulate the prospects we need to while getting better and younger without giving up much if anything
Signing Miller to that contract was a pretty damn tough move.

This was the best Mikheyev has looked and I still want him off that line. Put someone at RW who has an idea how to play in the offensive zone and that line will be money.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
According to Rick Dhaliwal, Boudreau loves Burroughs - his kind of player.

But, PA traded for Stillman and Bear, so you play with the new toys until they break. I completely understand keeping Bear in, but after the last 2 games, Bruce will be justified playing Burroughs over Stillman.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, that was interesting. Crazy game. Score probably flatters Anaheim who were terrible and really not full value for the 5 goals. We probably could have had 10.

- Pettersson line was massive. Absolutely dominant. Just ripped them to shreds, probably had 10+ quality scoring chances. Maybe 15. Kuzmenko needs to be signed ASAP. Pay him whatever he wants - insane chemistry with our best player, great attitude, probably going to be a consistent 70-80 point player going forward.

- Horvat is on some kind of run. He's figured out how to score goals in this league and is just lethal on the PP. At ES, that line was ... ok. Miller had some moments. Garland is really struggling.

- I don't understand the Joshua hate. This is a solid player. His forechecking is outstanding, his puck management is very good, he's positionally sound. Good bottom 6 player. Skating is fugly but he's a load below the hashmarks. Aman also continues to show well on that line.

- Studnicka is ... there. I'm not sure which way he's going to go. He looks pretty well coached, skates pretty well, looks like he can maybe be a low-event bottom-6 guy. But really isn't doing anything that pops yet.

- Podkolzin continues to struggle. Not moving his feet as well as he can, not looking confident.

- playing Stillman ahead of Burroughs is a travesty. They aren't even close as players. It's ridiculous. We had two pairings tonight that looked really sound and then Myers-Stillman came out and looked consistently disjointed.

- Bear was really good again. Coaches obviously agree as he played the 2nd most TOI and most of any RS defender. This trade looks really, really good based on early returns. Obviously we need to see more, but right now it's a top-4 RHD on $1.8 million for a 5th rounder. OEL looked night-and-day better with Bear than he has with Myers.

- Hughes skated the best he has all season.

- Martin was ... not good. Started well, but that 3-2 goal was yuck and could have been a backbreaker. His streak of results is getting ridiculous, though.

- PK still sucks ass. They need to try some different players. Boudreau fixed it last year by doing exactly that ... but then this year has defaulted to the same failing players constantly.

- Trevor Zegras is kind of a bad player, at ES at least. Insane talent but I'm not sure I've seen a worse defensive C in the cap era.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It’s a win, but 5 GA against one of the worse teams isn’t good.

Forget about tanking though, we are definitely not THAT bad.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
One of those games were the Canucks were able to outscore their defense and PK problems.

Good

Pettersson - both offensively and defensively. Looked like a superstar in this one. Team like the Ducks gave him some room and if you do that he can eat you up

Horvat - real force in this game. Carried his line as neither Miller or Garland were particularly good. Shouldn't be on the PK although did ok on the late penalty kill

Kuzmenko - got the touch. Problem is how do we pay him with Boeser hanging around.. If they can get Medheyev finishing anything, this line might be real trouble for anyone.

Joshua. - seems to have some skill around the net. Helped set up some good chances and puck management was good through neutral zone.

Bad

Stillman - (aptly named given his glacial skating pace) Was absolute trash in this one. Boudreau needs to give his head a shake. Burroughs has looked way better. Stillman is backed in on everything, way behind the play coming out of his end and slow at both blue lines. Really hated BB putting him right back out after his terrible coverage on the third goal against (I think it was the third). Like it was going to make his skating better or somehow make him playable??? Throw in on the getting rid of the Dickinson contract deal who has middling minor league written all over him. Should be out here pronto.

Others

Hughes - not playing up to potential. Shot from the point is simply too soft and readable.

Myers - poor start but picked it up as game went on. Still he is not strong enough to carry Stillman

Aman - had the one good shift on the Joshua goal but he is beginning to labor. Showed little finish with passing or shot.

Studnicka - better. However so far has shown little upper level skill.

Martin - didn't help that the game got as ragged as it did but this was his worse performance as a Canuck IMO. Gave up too much net and stopped challenging shooters. Instead started falling back in his net, Got things to work on.

Bear - showing he has wheels. Couple of give-aways in his end but not so many as other defensemen. Could see him moving into a top four position although that says more about the state of our defense.

Win and nice that Kuzmenko showed so well. But as far as the League goes this was a toilet bowl type game with two the worse teams in the League. Canucks continued to illustrate some desperate confusion at times and you can't have a couple of players carrying the team..

Really f***ing disappointed in this post. Every name is spelled correctly.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Boeser has no place on this team. I’m not sure where he slots in.
My hope is that some sucker GM out there surrenders assets to acquire him before the whole league realizes that he's a negative value asset. Benning was trying to move Boeser after the 2020 bubble but received low ball offers.

Damn the ducks are bad
We aren't much better unfortunately. :-/

Reactions: Indiana

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
It’s a win, but 5 GA against one of the worse teams isn’t good.

Forget about tanking though, we are definitely not THAT bad.
What's it going to take for the Canucks to learn to lock down a lead? Outside of that absolutely lifeless penguins team, every team is able to mount comebacks. Then you've got the league's worst pp scoring goals EASILY, something is just not right. I had a bad feeling that Brad Shaw was a big part of this team's defensive turn around last year and so far, looking correct.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Well, that was interesting. Crazy game. Score probably flatters Anaheim who were terrible and really not full value for the 5 goals. We probably could have had 10.

- Pettersson line was massive. Absolutely dominant. Just ripped them to shreds, probably had 10+ quality scoring chances. Maybe 15. Kuzmenko needs to be signed ASAP. Pay him whatever he wants - insane chemistry with our best player, great attitude, probably going to be a consistent 70-80 point player going forward.

- Horvat is on some kind of run. He's figured out how to score goals in this league and is just lethal on the PP. At ES, that line was ... ok. Miller had some moments. Garland is really struggling.

- I don't understand the Joshua hate. This is a solid player. His forechecking is outstanding, his puck management is very good, he's positionally sound. Good bottom 6 player. Skating is fugly but he's a load below the hashmarks. Aman also continues to show well on that line.

- Studnicka is ... there. I'm not sure which way he's going to go. He looks pretty well coached, skates pretty well, looks like he can maybe be a low-event bottom-6 guy. But really isn't doing anything that pops yet.

- Podkolzin continues to struggle. Not moving his feet as well as he can, not looking confident.

- playing Stillman ahead of Burroughs is a travesty. They aren't even close as players. It's ridiculous. We had two pairings tonight that looked really sound and then Myers-Stillman came out and looked consistently disjointed.

- Bear was really good again. Coaches obviously agree as he played the 2nd most TOI and most of any RS defender. This trade looks really, really good based on early returns. Obviously we need to see more, but right now it's a top-4 RHD on $1.8 million for a 5th rounder. OEL looked night-and-day better with Bear than he has with Myers.

- Hughes skated the best he has all season.

- Martin was ... not good. Started well, but that 3-2 goal was yuck and could have been a backbreaker. His streak of results is getting ridiculous, though.

- PK still sucks ass. They need to try some different players. Boudreau fixed it last year by doing exactly that ... but then this year has defaulted to the same failing players constantly.

- Trevor Zegras is kind of a bad player, at ES at least. Insane talent but I'm not sure I've seen a worse defensive C in the cap era.

To go further with Bear, he only played one second less than Hughes. Bear must feel great, goes from a healthy scratch all season to 20 minutes in his second game.

Apart from Stillman playing, the ice time management makes a lot of sense. Schenn is being limited to not overexpose him. OEL was under 20 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad