Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 8-5 (Kuzmenko x3, Horvat x2, Pettersson, Miller, Joshua)

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
5 goals against playing one of the worst teams in the league

This is a defensive system disaster. It not all on the D but Stillman has been horrible and it seems he is in a lineup to justify what we gave up to dump Dick

Politics over playing better option? Really?

A blind person can see Stillman is just a horrible option and an AHL level guy at best
We won,despite being defensively sloppy.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Well, that was interesting. Crazy game. Score probably flatters Anaheim who were terrible and really not full value for the 5 goals. We probably could have had 10.

- Pettersson line was massive. Absolutely dominant. Just ripped them to shreds, probably had 10+ quality scoring chances. Maybe 15. Kuzmenko needs to be signed ASAP. Pay him whatever he wants - insane chemistry with our best player, great attitude, probably going to be a consistent 70-80 point player going forward.

- Horvat is on some kind of run. He's figured out how to score goals in this league and is just lethal on the PP. At ES, that line was ... ok. Miller had some moments. Garland is really struggling.

- I don't understand the Joshua hate. This is a solid player. His forechecking is outstanding, his puck management is very good, he's positionally sound. Good bottom 6 player. Skating is fugly but he's a load below the hashmarks. Aman also continues to show well on that line.

- Studnicka is ... there. I'm not sure which way he's going to go. He looks pretty well coached, skates pretty well, looks like he can maybe be a low-event bottom-6 guy. But really isn't doing anything that pops yet.

- Podkolzin continues to struggle. Not moving his feet as well as he can, not looking confident.

- playing Stillman ahead of Burroughs is a travesty. They aren't even close as players. It's ridiculous. We had two pairings tonight that looked really sound and then Myers-Stillman came out and looked consistently disjointed.

- Bear was really good again. Coaches obviously agree as he played the 2nd most TOI and most of any RS defender. This trade looks really, really good based on early returns. Obviously we need to see more, but right now it's a top-4 RHD on $1.8 million for a 5th rounder. OEL looked night-and-day better with Bear than he has with Myers.

- Hughes skated the best he has all season.

- Martin was ... not good. Started well, but that 3-2 goal was yuck and could have been a backbreaker. His streak of results is getting ridiculous, though.

- PK still sucks ass. They need to try some different players. Boudreau fixed it last year by doing exactly that ... but then this year has defaulted to the same failing players constantly.

- Trevor Zegras is kind of a bad player, at ES at least. Insane talent but I'm not sure I've seen a worse defensive C in the cap era.
Exactly how I saw the game. If I’m the GM, I’m finding a way to keep Kuzmenko and Horvat.

Boeser has to be out. If Garland also had to be out I won’t lose as much sleep now.

Need to kickstart Podkolzin to elevate him. He’s not going to find his game where he is situated right now.

Hoglander’s value isn’t getting better, and I think a swap with another player looking at a change of scenery seems to be where this should be heading.

Stillman should not be ahead of Burroughs. It’s obvious after two games.

Canucks bottom 6 needs reshaping. Maybe another Joshua/Motte type players that has energy, pace, PK ability or defensive ability. Too much meh.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why on earth is Stillman in the lineup and not Rathbone or Burroughs
yes it's a shame that they didn't put Rathbone in against the Ducks. He was making a bit of traction in his play and with the puck is a dynamic player. Could have been a good opportunity to get some confidence and a point or 2 which would be huge

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Kinda fun to watch, between cringes.
Very sloppy, the kind of game to be expected from the 31rst and 32nd place teams.

Not a game to build on, some many giveaways and missed assignments.

Pretty baffled how that was not goalie interference, not after seeing many others lately. Player skated into the crease and unassisted pushed the goalie over in the net preventing him from being able to move back. Canuck player was not even playing the puck if you look at his head. Game management. That could have/did changed the game right there.

Lots of the sports shows are preaching getting to .500 by US Thanksgiving, that is not the stat, it is in the playoffs not hovering around 26th in the league.

Sloppy game, pond hockey.
But a win is a win

Oh well it is only one game

Reactions: quat

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Nah.

Pearson was really good last year for us and people appreciated him.

He has been awful this year.

Weird. Why are you not associating the players you like, that were brought in, under Jimbos management with him?

pettersson wasn't his choice, there's ample evidence of that. and hughes was a weisbrod pick because they're close family friends.

it's like if i attributed any of the later round picks to jimbo and not judd brackett

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Garland in the 1st period made me want to pull my hair out...On odd man rushes..why button hook, stop... and give the opposition D an opportunity to get back..?...or peel off to the perimeter, negating your territorial advantage by having to pass from a bad angle...Added to that, were a number of giveaways he made.

He was much better later in the game...but jeez.

Reactions: tantalum

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Our defense has enough issues that it cannot afford Riley Stillman being responsible in 3 goals against.

The Terry PP goal had a few issues. First off Klingberg shouldn't have been able to walk throuh the neutral zone and into the zone untouched. Myers certainly made a mistake by lunging towards him after he got the line but Stillman instead of switching off and applying pressure on Terry just lets him walk in without anyone even around to defend a east west pass for. Just does nothing but back in and allow Terry to get right on top of Martin

On the Strome goal he once again plays too passive with bad gaps in his zone. Certainly a shot that Martin should have saved had he not been out of position and struggling with his movement but Stillman was again in no mans land lacking the anticipation and positional awareness to be closer to Strome

On the Comtois goal it's just a complete fail. Gets pulled out of position with a bad choice to pinch then stupidly dives and misses the loose puck and Comtois has a clear breakaway from the blueline

Burroughs has less big mistakes this year than one game against a weak opponent in Anaheim from Stillman. I'm not sure this guy should be in the NHL right now. He needs to sit down

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We won,despite being defensively sloppy.

I don't think we were all that bad defensively in this game.

One defensive pairing really struggled and the goalie had a rough night. Anaheim was extremely fortunate to end up with 5 goals based on the amount of chances they created.

Our defense has enough issues that it cannot afford Riley Stillman being responsible in 3 goals against.

The Terry PP goal had a few issues. First off Klingberg shouldn't have been able to walk throuh the neutral zone and into the zone untouched. Myers certainly made a mistake by lunging towards him after he got the line but Stillman instead of switching off and applying pressure on Terry just lets him walk in without anyone even around to defend a east west pass for. Just does nothing but back in and allow Terry to get right on top of Martin

On the Strome goal he once again plays too passive with bad gaps in his zone. Certainly a shot that Martin should have saved had he not been out of position and struggling with his movement but Stillman was again in no mans land lacking the anticipation and positional awareness to be closer to Strome

On the Comtois goal it's just a complete fail. Gets pulled out of position with a bad choice to pinch then stupidly dives and misses the loose puck and Comtois has a clear breakaway from the blueline

Burroughs has less big mistakes this year than one game against a weak opponent in Anaheim from Stillman. I'm not sure this guy should be in the NHL right now. He needs to sit down

So far Stillman is what you'd get if you combined Burroughs' offensive game with Rathbone's defensive game.

Obviously neither of those guys is a perfect player but they both bring something to the table. Stillman, right now, does not.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I haven't had as much time to comment on the last three games, but the number of times I see Stillman doing absolutely dumbass shit is appalling. He chases guys out to the blue line and doesn't rotate back to his net front position. He is often not where his d-partner expect him to be so passes to his spot result in extended defensive zone time. He also dogs it or just simply can't skate fast enough when he is caught out of position and has to get back. At the beginning he didn't seem this bad or at least his newness let him fly under the radar. But now he's an absolute tire fire.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
yes it's a shame that they didn't put Rathbone in against the Ducks. He was making a bit of traction in his play and with the puck is a dynamic player. Could have been a good opportunity to get some confidence and a point or 2 which would be huge
I mean, at this point Rathbone would be at worst on par with Stillman defensively but would give us another puck mover. We sorely need that IMO. What if Quinn gets injured again?

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
Agreed with all the takes on Stillman. This is the sort of performance that will leave you questioning the coaching staff's judgement if he's in the lineup on Saturday. Just a disaster every time he's on the ice.

Reactions: mossey3535

cc

Feb 28, 2002
When Bear was in Edmonton, I don't remember him being that good but it looks like he developed his game well.

I have a feeling that Bear learned a lot from when he was in the Carolina system. He seems very sound and steady to me so far

Stillman looks like a tire fire. I can't believe the Canucks scouts watched him play and thought he was a player they should get.

Reactions: quat and mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
When Bear was in Edmonton, I don't remember him being that good but it looks like he developed his game well.

I have a feeling that Bear learned a lot from when he was in the Carolina system. He seems very sound and steady to me so far

Stillman looks like a tire fire. I can't believe the Canucks scouts watched him play and thought he was a player they should get.
Yeah I didn't blink an eye when Edmonton let him go. Their announcers really liked him, but I thought he was pretty Sbisa-esque. Hopefully his development and the circumstances in Carolina make him a solid player for us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

What's caught me off guard with Bear is how well he's skating. I don't remember his mobility as being anywhere near this level in Edmonton and in my head his skating was still a knock. Instead he's looked like he has plus mobility, both in terms of speed and footwork.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I didn't blink an eye when Edmonton let him go. Their announcers really liked him, but I thought he was pretty Sbisa-esque. Hopefully his development and the circumstances in Carolina make him a solid player for us.
Right now, Stillman looks like the 2nd coming of Sbisa instead. I think he's pretty good in scrums as well.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Scratching Stillman is forbidden because management will look bad for trading a second for him when they could have bought out Dickinson earlier this summer and only had a small cap hit for it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Anaheim makes Columbus look like Colorado. What a trash heap.

Nice to see numbers but hard to want to value them greatly against the competition.

Waive Stillman. Team improves and you create ~$1m in cap space.

Not moving on from wingers that were here last season is looking like a massive mistake that will likely cost them Horvat and Kuzmenko.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Thought Burroughs looked good last year, and figured he should be at worst our 7th D man. Now he should be top 6.

Please put Podkolzin with Petey and Kuz. I suspect we have some of the bullshit "we paid a lot for Mikheyev, and pods was a Benning pick" going on.

When healthy

pods EP Kuz
Pearson JTM Boes
Garland Bo Mikheyev
Stud Hog Josh Aman (rotate them in and out)

Hughes Schenn
OEL Bear
Myers Burroughs/Rathbone

Move Hoglander with Bo, and move Garland to takes Boeser's spot while he is out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Has Burroughs played with Myers this season? If so, how has it looked?

If OEL and Bear continue to look like that together, and Burroughs/Myers works as a pairing, the group might be able to modestly stabilize after a disaster start to the season.

But then again..... the Ducks sucked.... So maybe it's naive to think that OEL - Bear will hold up as a good pairing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I remember Bear being raw in Edmonton but played his ass off. I thought he’d do better in Carolina than he did as he’d get proper coaching. And I guess he did do pretty well until he was IR and couldn’t get back into the lineup. It’s only a couple of games of course but some of the rough edges were definitely polished under Brind’amour and staff. Might not be a top 4 guy in the end but certainly looks like he can be a very reliable third pairing guy. So far of course.

Reactions: mossey3535

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What do we think Aman's upside is now? I didn't expect much from him, but he's been a really reliable/strong forechecking 4C at 22 years old. I wonder how much is there.

Could he be our next Tyler Motte/extremely poor-man's Hansen type? God knows we could use more of those.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
What do we think Aman's upside is now? I didn't expect much from him, but he's been a really reliable/strong forechecking 4C at 22 years old. I wonder how much is there.

Could he be our next Tyler Motte/poor-man's Hansen?

i think he's the weakest forward on the team. needs to show more offensively to earn a full time spot

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Could he be our next Tyler Motte/poor-man's Hansen? God knows we could use more of those.
i think he's been pretty good the last 5 or so games.(up around 13 minutes a game now)....He's got really good wheels, and he's not constantly getting caught out of position...Precisely the kind of player you want to target for your 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad