Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Devils - 6-3 (Horvat x 2, Hunt, Hoglander, Pearson, Lammikko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It was rumored to be the 5th overall and Horvat for Subban. Conditional in PLD being there for Montreal to take.

One of many examples where ol Jimbo was saved from himself.

I can't even fathom that trade

so 2016 was that draft,
Did Subban have that kind of Juice around the league in 2015/2016?

I mean that is out of this world expensive

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I like neither. Can’t even pick which one is the lesser of the two evils…

Atmosphere is also better when it has something relatble to fans out of a certain game rivalry or goal its been a while since that meant anything here .

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I can't even fathom that trade

so 2016 was that draft,
Did Subban have that kind of Juice around the league in 2015/2016?

I mean that is out of this world expensive

He was a top-5 defenseman in the world and 27 years old, like two years removed from winning the Norris. Absolutely he held that kind of value - he was a Norris finalist again two years later.

It would have been horrendous given how bad the rest of the Canucks roster was, but the value for Subban at the time wasn't horrendous. Edmonton had a deal on the table for Hall + 4 for Subban + 9.

Reactions: CanuckCity

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
He was a top-5 defenseman in the world and 27 years old, like two years removed from winning the Norris. Absolutely he held that kind of value - he was a Norris finalist again two years later.

It would have been horrendous given how bad the rest of the Canucks roster was, but the value for Subban at the time wasn't horrendous. Edmonton had a deal on the table for Hall + 4 for Subban + 9.

There would have been 3 norris winners after Subban at the time of the trade
Keith
Karlsson
Doughty

I dont think he was Top 5 by stats

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
He has already and he was drafted less than 4 yrs ago have some patience
I simply as others see a part of his game he needs some work and i dont expect Al Mcinnis just get where its a reasonable threat that causes rebounds and can beat a goalie.
Hell just get to a Povin level wrist shot if he does that how many more goals points wins can he contribute too so yes he should work his ass off to get it better.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
there would have been 3 norris winners after Subban at the time of the trade
Keith
Karlsson
Doughty

Right - couldn't remember if he was two or three years removed and was too lazy to look. But he was one year removed from a top-3 Norris finish.

It's actually insane how fast that generation of defenseman, particularly Karlsson and Subban, fell off. PK is only 32!!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I simply as others see a part of his game he needs some work and i dont expect Al Mcinnis just get where its a reasonable threat that causes rebounds and can beat a goalie.
Hell just get to a Povin level wrist shot if he does that how many more goals points wins can he contribute too so yes he should work his ass off to get it better.
He will look at the progress on his defending. Not many top players come in as finished products

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Right - couldn't remember if he was two or three years removed and was too lazy to look. But he was one year removed from a top-3 Norris finish.

It's actually insane how fast that generation of defenseman, particularly Karlsson and Subban, fell off. PK is only 32!!
Not really its a tough league how many last 5 yrs ? And smaller and skill guys especially dmen have to take a lot of hits it takes a toll.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
@bbud did Quinn take out your daughter and not call her back? Of all the games to peddle your QH43 hate, you pick a game where he lead the team in game contribution, and xG%.

Quinn controlled the ice, lead numerous breakouts, and is truly the only defensemen on our team that can transition the puck without just flipping it in to the neutral zone.

Does he have things he needs to work on? Yes absolutely, he needs to get his shot through more often, he’s never going to be someone who’s going to rip clappers past goalies, he’s all about getting deflections. That’s his limitation, but every player has deficiencies. You talk about his poor work ethic? He took his poor defensively play to heart last year and worked tirelessly to improve. Now he leads our PK1.

Just enjoy the best defensemen this organization has ever seen, QH43 is the least of our issues.

This would would be the prototypical game you expect from Hughes from an underlying standpoint if he is playing his game well
-Hd scoring chances were 6 for and 2 against 5v5
- PP you dont have to worry about

Unfortunately since his 2 week covid quarantine his defensive efficiency has been dropping

this is the type of game he was playing consistently before that covid break which is very impactful defenseman
he needs to more of these

Reactions: quat

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
He will look at the progress on his defending. Not many top players come in as finished products
Agree hes improved parts but still has some holes in his defense and in his case he needs to use his skating and smarts part of all that is work harder improving the very best never stop .
The shot honestly is something he should be able to get better it is simply mechanics and repetitive practice

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
“The way we’re playing right now, we don’t feel like we’ll ever lose two in a row. Maybe we will, but we’re feeling really good about our game.” - Quinn Hughes #Canucks

Ummmm anyone wanna tell him…..

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Erik Karlsson has had a bounce back season, he’s easily been a top-10 defenceman this year. Doesn’t change how hideous his contract is, but he’s been elite this season.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
What? You can’t joke about facts. Those are the actual numbers from NHL.com.

He’s not a top 10 in any goalie category. That’s it. That’s facts.
By stats he is a top ten considering the teams other top 10s are on he deserves more credit just checked nhl stats he is #10

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Nice to see us win with Demko playing average. As others pointed out Boeser wasnt great but I felt the effort was good all round. That slap pass by Myers was great, Horvat came in clutch, and Miller could've scored like 4 goals. I have no idea why Ruff pulled Daws, I thought he actually played well. Nothing he could do on the Pearson goal. Oh and I thought Hoglander had a good game too. Sort of a bounce back for him after some iffy ones.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Far from air tight hockey but an important win. Devil speed caused team problems and pointed to the need for more speed on the Canucks

Good

Horvat - very good individual efforts on his goals and they were critical in keeping things moving in the Canucks favor

Demko - not at his best but he has to make numerous important saves.

Garland - stats never seem to reflect just how important he is to the offense. Continually established good presence in the ozone and was really good at moving puck thru neutral zone and in breaking up plays in his zone. Might have been the first star

Pearson - started the game like he wasn't sober but got stronger as the game went on. Good two way game. Overall is having good season and contract is fine

OEL - playing much steadier over the last while. What we're seeing is likely the best we will get out of him. Seems to be skating better.

Hoglander - played a bit frenetically but was breaking up plays and getting pucks to the net.

Podkolzin - thought he did a good job of bailing out his line with Petan and Chaisson. Without Podkolzin's work in his end and on the forecheck the line would have more or less helpless

Schenn - just does things right all game. A +4 in this game. One of the most underpaid players in the League.

Hunt - nice goal and used his wheels to stay ahead of the play. Didn't really like Hamonic's game and Hunt had to overcome some of the difficult situations Hamonic was putting him in.

Miller - should have had goal with all the chances. Could easily have been a 5 or 6 point game. Not at his sharpest but still very important in the win. Looks on another level at times.

Bad

Chaisson - all been said. He's no good.

Petan - looked in over his head

Lammikko line - scored late in garbage time but I thought one of their toughest outings. Just couldn't handle Hughes at times. Thought maybe Motte's worst game in a long time.

Myers - looked sluggish and back on his heels all game. Long season and he has been asked to do a lot. Maybe catching up with him. Lot of reaching for the puck rather than using his skating to defend.

Hamonic - beating the puck to death at times.

Others

Boeser - made the one nice pass but little else. Mostly a passenger.

Hughes - falling back into some of bad habits of the past. Staying out too long, forcing plays at the blue line, taking too long in his end to initiate plays (like standing back on the goal line surveying the ice - which is often trying to get the team to play at his pace rather than him adjusting to the team's pace), taking ill-advised and likely to be blocked point shots.... Maybe it was playing against his brother but he needs to play within the team rather than trying to control the play. Did however make some nice up ice passes. They were quick and effective and really what he should be doing rather than lally gagging around with the puck.

Finally beat NJD and stay in the race.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Erik Karlsson has had a bounce back season, he’s easily been a top-10 defenceman this year. Doesn’t change how hideous his contract is, but he’s been elite this season.

He had a couple of injury filled seasons and it showed so its actually quite a feat to get back to that too.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Quinn has more goals this season than Edler has scored since 2019-20 lol. QH's 8 goals in that year matches Edler's high from 2012-2018 (he had 10 in 2018-2019).

His shot is actually fine, we saw him getting goals from the point the last two years and it has gotten better. It will never be a cannon but IMO in the past two seasons he's shown he can get it on net and place it pretty well.

I think his decision making is a result of being the only defenceman on the team really, and he knows he has to bear those minutes and be the one driving possession.

Yet another reason to solidify another pair via trade, it will take the heat off of him. Neither Myers or OEL have been able to do that.

Also nice to have a high bar for at least one d-man, for a change.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Hughes really needs to work on his shot

Some bodies just don’t have the mechanics for it.

That said, what ever happened to thunderous shots from the points ?

It’s been a while since we have had a point shot and it used to be basically required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland