Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Avs - 4-2 (Kuzmenko x2, Boeser, Miller)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
But this is not the plot. You know what the plot is, but you keep posting this same narrative for some reason. In any regular situation, you're absolutely correct. But the Canucks situation is far from normal. No youth, no excess picks, no cap, several terrible long contracts on unproductive players. They're stuck with few options other than letting go of some of their better players because sticking with them won't produce anything positive. You'll just continue to spin your tires producing nothing.

So you're both correct and wrong at the same time.
Agreed. Management did have the opportunity to allow some flexibility last TDL and off-season but they didn't do it. Now they either have to let at least one of Horvat Kuzmenko walk,(possible both do) or trade picks in cap dumps assuming teams want the Nucks' garbage. This would help maintain a team close to the bottom in the standings.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We literally need a new top pairing defensive dman and two new top 4 dmen.

We have no assets or cap to use to acquire them.

Even if these extremely rare players dropped from the sky to us for free (since we have nothing to use to acquire them), we still need to dump multiple albatross contracts to make space for them.

Things change in this league very quickly. Who had NJ/Carolina as current powerhouses 2-3 years ago?
Everyone? Carolina was already a powerhouse two years ago and NJ had two 1st overall picks coming up, a stacked farm and was being careful with their cap structure, this is a little earlier than expected but it was just a matter of time for them to break out.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You don't fix something that isn't working by wrecking the things that are working.

If your car has a flat tire, you aren't going to solve the problem by taking the engine out.
this analogy sucks and you know it

this isn’t a car with just a flat tire

this is a 1998 740i or 2002 range rover with an endless amount of issues where you’re better off parting it out and buying a whole nother car unless you’re mechanically inclined enough to fix the large quantity of issues at an efficient cost (your own time)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No team likely takes on Myers until his bonus is paid. I would want to solve the cap issue before the offseason starts. Not solving the cap issues until the off-season leaves a lot of risks involved.

You will also have to get rid of more than just Myers.

You likely aren't fixing the cap issues before the end of the season, unless you can find a buyer for Boeser.

Several contracts should be very tradeable in the summer, either for small value or by adding a pick.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Excuse me??????

That is a lopsided trade in favor of us

Myers simply not being the lineup is a win
Getting a 2nd is grand slam
Sorry, meant to say trading a second to dump myers

Either way that hopeful move isn’t enough

They need to trade like six players and not just mottes or hamonics

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

this is a 1998 740i or 2002 range rover with an endless amount of issues where you’re better off parting it out and buying a whole nother car unless you’re mechanically inclined enough to fix the large quantity of issues at an efficient cost (your own time)
What? A range Rover with a Ferrari engine?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
No matter the path forward this team takes they MUST find their way out Garland, Boeser and Pearson contracts for instance. So I agree it’s a hard signing when you look at those other expensive wingers you have to assume those other contracts won’t be there. Again, that assumption has to be there for any scenario. They also can’t do a a full scorch3d earth tear down by keeping those contracts around.

Is that going to be easy? Nope. But that is the task to be undertaken. I just don’t think you lose a player like Kuzmenko on the assumption you fail to do the necessary.

I agree, I’d love to have him back depending what the cost and term is. Personally, I think we also need to move Miller before his NMC kicks in. I’d much rather move forward with Horvat and Kuzmenko than losing them and moving forward with Garland, Boeser and Miller. This is why it so important to be cap wise like we used to be under Gillis.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
What? A range Rover with a Ferrari engine?
Think those range rovers had a bmw or jaguar engine but even their own engine from 95 onwards sucked

I would like to own a two door range rover classic one day

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
You likely aren't fixing the cap issues before the end of the season, unless you can find a buyer for Boeser.

Several contracts should be very tradeable in the summer, either for small value or by adding a pick.
Agreed, but teams will be offering Horvat and Kuzmenko contracts in the meantime. Furthermore, if the Nucks sign both of them, teams will be asking a high price for the Nucks' cap dumps because they will have to get rid of players.

Would you let Horvat and Kuzmenko walk into the off-season without contracts or trade them at the deadline?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
You don't fix something that isn't working by wrecking the things that are working.

If your car has a flat tire, you aren't going to solve the problem by taking the engine out.

Kuzmenko and Horvat are two of the team's best players. They should be part of the solution, and they're part of the problem.

This team needs to be retaining the players that are performing and showing they can drive success, and firing the Boeser/Myers/Pearson types into the sun so that cap space can be re-allocated toward better players who can augment the pretty good core that is in place here.
I don't think we're disagreeing here, except Horvat isn't coming back whether they want him or not. They prioritized signing Miller and don't want to pay Horvat what he wants. You can't have both Miller and Bo and that decision was made.

Can we even get rid of those players?

I agree you do what you can to sign Kuzmenko.

The D needs to be rebuilt, but you're facing an almost impossible task, at least in the short term. So if you're going to be bad for a couple of seasons, you may as well plan for it and then strip things down more than one might ordinarily think would be sensible.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If the Canucks can maintain this crucial lead that will keep us further away from Bedard :nod:

• Wow
Reactions: mathonwy

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I've said this a few times, but if you trade a 50-goal high-leverage C in the middle of his career for a crappy futures package because you don't want to move a 2nd round pick to dump Tyler Myers, you've absolutely lost the plot.

Again :

Thinking you move forward by trading 2 of your best 5 players for crappy low-percentage futures packages is the most backward thing in the entire world.

Things change in this league very quickly. Who had Dallas/NJ/Carolina as current powerhouses 2-3 years ago?

The problem with this team isn't the core players. And you aren't moving forward by moving any of Horvat/Kuzmenko/Pettersson/Hughes. Or Demko, assuming he can return to form.
Let’s agree to disagree bro

Reactions: Nucker101 and Peen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is basically a middling team getting terrible goaltending when excellent goaltending was expected.

Pettersson/Hughes/Kuzmenko/Horvat/Demko is not some sort of old, broken-down core. Your analogy is also terrible.

Anyone supporting trading Kuzmenko/Horvat for crappy rental packages should also be supporting trading Pettersson right now, too. If you're supporting trading those guys and not on board to sell sell sell on Pettersson, then you're stuck in nowhere land being dazzled by magic beans.

If you trade Kuzmenko/Horvat, there is no way back to competing during our team control on Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad