Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Jumex, Mar 1, 2013.

1. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    There's no law saying he has to fight em'.

2. cc

cc Registered User

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if Sestito just declines McGrattan's requests to square off. Just throw the body around and draw McGrattan to an instigator penalty.

3. ZenMaster*

ZenMaster* Guest

Sestito doesn't seem like that type of guy, if McGrattan challenges him, he will accept. Also, he's still trying to make an impression on the team and his teammates.

4. cc

cc Registered User

I don't understand that kind of hockey fight. I can understand getting into a fight to ignite your team, protecting your teammate, or just trying to defend yourself, but I never understood the idea that you have to accept someone's challenge just because you get asked to. That's such an antiquated notion now... a throwback to an era where you would just have an enforcer on your team to fight the other team's enforcer in a little sideshow display.

I kinda hope that AV just tells him to play the game and stick up for your teammates and himself.

5. vanuck

vanuck But Gillis...!!!

McGrattan is still employed in the league? Holy...

Either way, short of him gooning one of our guys I don't know that Tostito *has* to fight him tonight.

This would be the best outcome - drawing a penalty and making the other team pay.

Can't remember where I read it before but some enforcers have experienced depression due to the stress of knowing you're likely to go up against some giant meathead every night.

6. Blue Suede Shoes

Blue Suede Shoes hound dog

mcgrattan also has 3 goals and 13 assists in his NHL career. At age 31. I don't think anyone except john scott should be wasting his time fighting with mcgrattan.

7. cc

cc Registered User

I read the same thing. I seem to recall it was an article on Todd Fedoruk who would get drunk a lot to not think about it. I think this happens a lot so your source could come from anywhere.

8. BoHorvatFan

BoHorvatFan Registered User

He should not fight Mcgrattan and I bet the coaching staff will tell him not to. Why give the Flames and their fans a reason to get pumped up.

9. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

Yeah but what about if he lays McGrattan out? Nothing is a given in a hockey fight. I've seen hundreds of fights where a guy was expected to get his lights punched out only to be the one turning out the lights. Sestito throws bombs and McGrattan isn't Probert. If Sestito lands one it will be felt.

10. BoHorvatFan

Mcgrattan will concuss him if they fight. Sestito has awful balance and even fell down last night. If that happens against Mcgrattan it's all over for him.

11. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

This is absolutely BS. Being a person who has been in enough fights myself I can say without question that you're out to lunch. Saying a fight is over before it begins is a bigger laugh then the Sedin's Swedish bachelor commercial. Nothing is ever over before it even begins. Have you ever seen a hockey fight?

12. Norade

Norade Registered User

Anything could happen in a fight, but the safe bet is to play the odds and realize that Sestito isn't the favorite going into a fight with a guy who's stuck around the league for precisely one reason. Sestito could floor him with one punch, but the most likely outcome is Sestito landing a couple hard shots and then getting dropped by McGrattan. In that sort of a case Sestito has no reason to go looking for that fight unless he has no other choice.

13. luongo321

luongo321 Registered User

Yeah, a fight can go either way. That's true. However, I've seen Sestito get his bell rung quite a few times. Enough times that I'd be worried about how much hockey he has left in him if he gets another concussion or two. He's only 25 years old, I think. No point in fighting a guy like him unless absolutely necessary given the odds.

14. cc

cc Registered User

another consideration and I'd say, a good reason for him not to fight, is because he had a fight just yesterday and his hand is still probably a little sore from hitting the visor and helmet (and face) of Nolan.

15. BoHorvatFan

All you have to do is look at their career fight cards and records and you realize one guy is on a whole different level than the other.

16. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

Welp, Sestito wasn't brought in to just look good. He has to do what his job demands. I'm old school in a lot of my thinking. I have been a round enough to know that no fight, even hockey fights, are over before they begin. Sestito is 6'5 230+. They guy can put anybody down if he lands a punch. The only man I have ever seen take an blow that most men would crumble over and shook it off like a mosquito bite was Probert. McGrattan isn't even close. Is he tough? You betchya. But probert he is not. If Sestito were to go I give him just as good a chance as anyone. All it takes is one good punch and most men will buckle like a falling building. I've seen it, done it and most certainly felt it.

17. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    Any punch landed to the jaw is going to knock virtually anybody down, you're right.

18. MarcusKane*

MarcusKane* Registered User

Love it, we needed a guy like this.

19. BoHorvatFan

How many guys have knocked down Mcgrattan? He's fought every big enforcer in the league the last 7-8 years.

The only one I can remember is Boogaard. Sestito on the other hand falls down in basically every fight.

20. Stories Tales Lies

Stories Tales Lies and Exaggerations

To me these are two different things.

21. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

Right on! :yo: That's all I'm saying. Every man has a chance in a fair fight. Especially those who are 6'5, 230lbs. Those who don't understand this are those you have never been in a fight and would probably roll up into a ball on the ground begging for mercy until it's over.

22. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

Damn straight they are.

23. BoHorvatFan

Well One guy only goes down when he's hit with a big punch, and it never happens to him. The other is falling all over the place in every fight. Pretty good chance that fight would be a mismatch based on balance alone.

24. MikeK

MikeK Registered User

Stood in there and held his own. Good showing Sestito.

25. BoHorvatFan

He lost but he did a great job against one of the top fighters around.