Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

ZenMaster*

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if Sestito just declines McGrattan's requests to square off. Just throw the body around and draw McGrattan to an instigator penalty.

Sestito doesn't seem like that type of guy, if McGrattan challenges him, he will accept. Also, he's still trying to make an impression on the team and his teammates.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Sestito doesn't seem like that type of guy, if McGrattan challenges him, he will accept. Also, he's still trying to make an impression on the team and his teammates.

I don't understand that kind of hockey fight. I can understand getting into a fight to ignite your team, protecting your teammate, or just trying to defend yourself, but I never understood the idea that you have to accept someone's challenge just because you get asked to. That's such an antiquated notion now... a throwback to an era where you would just have an enforcer on your team to fight the other team's enforcer in a little sideshow display.

I kinda hope that AV just tells him to play the game and stick up for your teammates and himself.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
McGrattan is still employed in the league? Holy...

Either way, short of him gooning one of our guys I don't know that Tostito *has* to fight him tonight.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if Sestito just declines McGrattan's requests to square off. Just throw the body around and draw McGrattan to an instigator penalty.
This would be the best outcome - drawing a penalty and making the other team pay.

Sucks to be a goon, you know you're gonna have to fight some giant mouth breather pretty much every night you're on the ice. Mcgrattan is big and scary, and Stitty is almost certainly going to have to drop them with him. Hard to see him avoiding it, to be honest.

Can't remember where I read it before but some enforcers have experienced depression due to the stress of knowing you're likely to go up against some giant meathead every night.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I'm actually nervous for Sestito tonight, McGrattan is a top 3 heavyweight fighter in the league and rarely loses. Although, Sestito is fearless, he has to make sure he utilizes his reach rather than going in close on him.

mcgrattan also has 3 goals and 13 assists in his NHL career. At age 31. I don't think anyone except john scott should be wasting his time fighting with mcgrattan.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
McGrattan is still employed in the league? Holy...

Either way, short of him gooning one of our guys I don't know that Tostito *has* to fight him tonight.

This would be the best outcome - drawing a penalty and making the other team pay.

Can't remember where I read it before but some enforcers have experienced depression due to the stress of knowing you're likely to go up against some giant meathead every night.

I read the same thing. I seem to recall it was an article on Todd Fedoruk who would get drunk a lot to not think about it. I think this happens a lot so your source could come from anywhere.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
He should not fight Mcgrattan and I bet the coaching staff will tell him not to. Why give the Flames and their fans a reason to get pumped up.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah but what about if he lays McGrattan out? Nothing is a given in a hockey fight. I've seen hundreds of fights where a guy was expected to get his lights punched out only to be the one turning out the lights. Sestito throws bombs and McGrattan isn't Probert. If Sestito lands one it will be felt.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah but what about if he lays McGrattan out? Nothing is a given in a hockey fight. I've seen hundreds of fights where a guy was expected to get his lights punched out only to be the one turning out the lights. Sestito throws bombs and McGrattan isn't Probert. If Sestito lands one it will be felt.

Mcgrattan will concuss him if they fight. Sestito has awful balance and even fell down last night. If that happens against Mcgrattan it's all over for him.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Mcgrattan will concuss him if they fight. Sestito has awful balance and even fell down last night. If that happens against Mcgrattan it's all over for him.

This is absolutely BS. Being a person who has been in enough fights myself I can say without question that you're out to lunch. Saying a fight is over before it begins is a bigger laugh then the Sedin's Swedish bachelor commercial. Nothing is ever over before it even begins. Have you ever seen a hockey fight?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is absolutely BS. Being a person who has been in enough fights myself I can say without question that you're out to lunch. Saying a fight is over before it begins is a bigger laugh then the Sedin's Swedish bachelor commercial. Nothing is ever over before it even begins. Have you ever seen a hockey fight?

Anything could happen in a fight, but the safe bet is to play the odds and realize that Sestito isn't the favorite going into a fight with a guy who's stuck around the league for precisely one reason. Sestito could floor him with one punch, but the most likely outcome is Sestito landing a couple hard shots and then getting dropped by McGrattan. In that sort of a case Sestito has no reason to go looking for that fight unless he has no other choice.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Yeah, a fight can go either way. That's true. However, I've seen Sestito get his bell rung quite a few times. Enough times that I'd be worried about how much hockey he has left in him if he gets another concussion or two. He's only 25 years old, I think. No point in fighting a guy like him unless absolutely necessary given the odds.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
another consideration and I'd say, a good reason for him not to fight, is because he had a fight just yesterday and his hand is still probably a little sore from hitting the visor and helmet (and face) of Nolan.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

All you have to do is look at their career fight cards and records and you realize one guy is on a whole different level than the other.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Welp, Sestito wasn't brought in to just look good. He has to do what his job demands. I'm old school in a lot of my thinking. I have been a round enough to know that no fight, even hockey fights, are over before they begin. Sestito is 6'5 230+. They guy can put anybody down if he lands a punch. The only man I have ever seen take an blow that most men would crumble over and shook it off like a mosquito bite was Probert. McGrattan isn't even close. Is he tough? You betchya. But probert he is not. If Sestito were to go I give him just as good a chance as anyone. All it takes is one good punch and most men will buckle like a falling building. I've seen it, done it and most certainly felt it.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Welp, Sestito wasn't brought in to just look good. He has to do what his job demands. I'm old school in a lot of my thinking. I have been a round enough to know that no fight, even hockey fights, are over before they begin. Sestito is 6'5 230+. They guy can put anybody down if he lands a punch. The only man I have ever seen take an blow that most men would crumble over and shook it off like a mosquito bite was Probert. McGrattan isn't even close. Is he tough? You betchya. But probert he is not. If Sestito were to go I give him just as good a chance as anyone. All it takes is one good punch and most men will buckle like a falling building. I've seen it, done it and most certainly felt it.

Any punch landed to the jaw is going to knock virtually anybody down, you're right.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

How many guys have knocked down Mcgrattan? He's fought every big enforcer in the league the last 7-8 years.

The only one I can remember is Boogaard. Sestito on the other hand falls down in basically every fight.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Any punch landed to the jaw is going to knock virtually anybody down, you're right.

Right on! :yo: That's all I'm saying. Every man has a chance in a fair fight. Especially those who are 6'5, 230lbs. Those who don't understand this are those you have never been in a fight and would probably roll up into a ball on the ground begging for mercy until it's over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad