Confirmed with Link: Canucks claim F Tom Sestito from Philadelphia

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I read the same thing. I seem to recall it was an article on Todd Fedoruk who would get drunk a lot to not think about it. I think this happens a lot so your source could come from anywhere.

I thought it was an interview with Boogaard that gained a lot of attention after he passed away, but I could be wrong. It sounds familiar though.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I thought the fight would turn out a lot worse and it looks like he even gave him a shot on the lip. I don't think a lot of McGrattan's shots actually connected but Sestito has horrible balance so he fell and that's where he probably got damaged the most. He did his job and pretty much negated McGrattan.

If he works on his balance, he should be fine. I really hope the trainers help him out with that.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I thought the fight would turn out a lot worse and it looks like he even gave him a shot on the lip. I don't think a lot of McGrattan's shots actually connected but Sestito has horrible balance so he fell and that's where he probably got damaged the most. He did his job and pretty much negated McGrattan.

If he works on his balance, he should be fine. I really hope the trainers help him out with that.

Yeah, I thought he showed surprisingly well in that scrap. McGrattan - while he ticked me off royally with his late, high, uncalled hits on both Hank and Hamhuis - is a tough hombre.

Wizeman*

Yeah, I thought he showed surprisingly well in that scrap. McGrattan - while he ticked me off royally with his late, high, uncalled hits on both Hank and Hamhuis - is a tough hombre.

I thought Sestito has done really well so far.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I liked Volpatti a lot but it is nice having a bigger enforcer. Size does matter. It is harder to hit Sestito then Volpatti. Also Sestito is a bit crazier and has more skill as well. Good addition. Our bottom 2 lines has 5 big guys who can play a bit. Sestito is about equal to Kassian in fighting ability and Setitio does not need to protect himself he is disposable so plays like it. He knows his role. The team is the toughest it has been in quite a few years.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Tom Sestito on being claimed off waivers by the #Canucks: "I was ecstatic. I was surprised because I had heard rumours about Edmonton."

I like him already:laugh:

:laugh: :handclap:

Screw

Jul 6, 2012
Peachland
This guy is a punching bag. Big guy who can't fight.

It will be hard to watch him get beat down every other night.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This guy is a punching bag. Big guy who can't fight.

It will be hard to watch him get beat down every other night.

He made his first fight guy bleed, and beat him pretty fairly.

soo.....

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't think he's a great fighter for his size, so outside of him being 6'5, 230 lbs I don't know that he's a true 'goon' in the traditional sense. Certainly a tough and willing customer though.

But hockey-wise he seems to have more potential than Volpatti. And that I like.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
^ Tom is not a legit heavyweight than?

Not really. I think he said in an interview upon joining the team something along the lines of "I'll fight if I have to," and that pretty well sums it up.

Look at his fight cards over on hockey-fights, you can draw a pretty clear distinction between middleweight goons (Barch, Stortini) and actual hockey players (Brandon Dubinsky, Robyn Regehr) who he actually beats and the legit heavies (Lucic, McGrattan, Bickell) who beat him.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Not really. I think he said in an interview upon joining the team something along the lines of "I'll fight if I have to," and that pretty well sums it up.

Look at his fight cards over on hockey-fights, you can draw a pretty clear distinction between middleweight goons (Barch, Stortini) and actual hockey players (Brandon Dubinsky, Robyn Regehr) who he actually beats and the legit heavies (Lucic, McGrattan, Bickell) who beat him.

Huggy Bear is a goon?:sarcasm:

He's 1-1, and lost (barely) to one of the best goons in Mcgrattan (no pun).
Let Kassian take on Lucic while Sestito takes on Thornton. Chara is too big tough for anybody to take on....

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I dunno ... I went and checked out these fights out of interest after reading this post, and Sestito seemed to do just fine. He didn't win, but most of them were closer to a draw than a loss. Bickell jumped him coming right out of a hit so had the upper hand most of the fight, and both the Lucic and McGrattan fights were sort of wrestling matches. A lot better than anyone the Canucks have had recently would have done against guys in that weight class.

One thing Sestito seems good at generally is avoiding punches (could be because he is enormous). I noticed it in the McGrattan fight the other night, but it carries over into the Bickell and Lucic encounters. He has questionable balance though, and that ended up costing him against Tootoo (though that spear looked pretty cheap to me).

He even had the upper hand in the Kassian fight before Zack hit him with one good punch. That seems to be Kassian's M.O. though, he doesn't care if he takes a few shots as long as he gets in that one bomb that drops the guy. I figure that's why his helmet pops off basically every fight.

So far Sestito looks like a better fighter than I gave him credit for coming over.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
To be honest I haven't had time yet to go through and watch each one, just going by the votes (which of course has its pitfalls).

And yeah even with that I'd say Sestito is a better heavy than anyone the Canucks have had since......? Even Hordichuk had similar results, he beat Parros a couple of times (once getting the jump on him) and was willing to go with Boogaard but otherwise I thought was underwhelming for an enforcer.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Huggy Bear is a goon?:sarcasm:

Let Kassian take on Lucic while Sestito takes on Thornton. Chara is too big tough for anybody to take on....

Kassian vs Lucic
Sestito vs Thornton
Burrows vs Marchand
Bieksa vs Seidenberg
Alberts vs McQuaid
Kesler vs Bergeron
Schroeder vs Seguin
Weise vs Horton
Schneider vs Rask

I got it all setup.

Can't wait for the Bruins vs Canucks next year.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Kassian vs Lucic
Sestito vs Thornton
Burrows vs Marchand
Bieksa vs Seidenberg
Alberts vs McQuaid
Kesler vs Bergeron
Schroeder vs Seguin
Weise vs Horton
Schneider vs Rask

I got it all setup.

Everyone else on Chara!

Stanley-Cup-Bruins-Canucks-Hockey-JPEG-5.jpg

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Kassian vs Lucic
Sestito vs Thornton
Burrows vs Marchand
Bieksa vs Seidenberg
Alberts vs McQuaid
Kesler vs Bergeron
Schroeder vs Seguin
Weise vs Horton
Schneider vs Rask

I got it all setup.

I think Schroeder would get killed. I would at least put Booth to take on Seguin

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Kassian vs Lucic
Sestito vs Thornton
Burrows vs Marchand
Bieksa vs Seidenberg
Alberts vs McQuaid
Kesler vs Bergeron
Schroeder vs Seguin
Weise vs Horton
Schneider vs Rask

I got it all setup.

This obsession over the Bruins has have to stop... can't keep building on line up to play against a team we might never ever again play in the playoffs and play once every year. They didn't even get passed the soft Caps last year.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I watched all of his fights on youtube, I couldn't find any where he doesn't end up on the ice either by falling or being punched or wrestled down. Worst balance I have ever seen from a fighter but he's done well in both his fights with us so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad