Recalled/Assigned: Canucks call-up Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt, assign Gordon and Kassian to Chicago

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I'm excited to see Jensen play! Not ready yet, but he still has some sick dangles and he can actually snipe. I hope Kassian's back problems go away.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It will be nice to see Jensen play if he's used in the proper role. Throwing him on a 4th line for 6mins isn't going to cut it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
well, I guess this is where Canuck Nation starts to hate Jensen cause he won't score at a point per game

TheDiver*

Is this a dig at MG not making trades?

The guy has provided trades during his tenure here...

Yeah but he knew Kesler was coming off 3 surgeries in 2 offseasons and Malhotra was a question mark....and he refused to provide a centre!

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
nothing but bad trades...

That's BS and you know it.

There may be a couple unpopular trades, but he has pulled off good trades.

Yeah but he knew Kesler was coming off 3 surgeries in 2 offseasons and Malhotra was a question mark....and he refused to provide a centre!

And Kesler was ready and playing less than a month into the season. MG can't predict a broken foot.
Listen, I'm with you that he didn't provide adequate centre depth, I hold that against him too. At the same token, aside from Kes returning mentioned above, it was also a difficult moment to make trades as nearly 28/30 teams were in the playoff hunt and most still are from February until end of March.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Questioning the Sweatt recall, dont really understand what you gain by bringing him up. Sedin-Sedin-Jensen(Against my AV knowledge, this is where i have a gut instinct he'll play)
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Burrows get a shutdown line going
Sesisto-Ebbett-Pinizotto

I cant help but think this is some way to gain more capspace by getting closer to the top of the cap to be able to go over it by more. As Sweatt makes 600k more than Gordon and Jensen, about 100 k more than Kassian.

But thats probably just wishful thinking.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Excited to see Jensen; Sweatt and Gordon are basically a wash at this level, IMO - more speed but less grit for Sweatt.

Hope Kassian gets his legs and some confidence back on his conditioning stint.

King of the ES*

It's a conditioning stint for Kass guys. Hasn't played in 8 of last 9 games.

What kind of condition must he be in if he needs a conditioning stint at the age of 22 after missing 8 - 9 games?

Call a spade a spade. This is a demotion.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Questioning the Sweatt recall, dont really understand what you gain by bringing him up. Sedin-Sedin-Jensen(Against my AV knowledge, this is where i have a gut instinct he'll play)
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Sesisto-Ebbett-Pinizotto

I cant help but think this is some way to gain more capspace by getting closer to the top of the cap to be able to go over it by more. As Sweatt makes 600k more than Gordon and Jensen, about 100 k more than Kassian.

You never know, it might just be to showcase the two. I personally wouldn't trade Jensen, but it wouldn't be the first time Gillis trades a young guy.(Grabner, Hodgson, Shirokov)

Facing San Jose too, Ryan Clowe swap before the game?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
C'mon, Sweatt over Kassian? hope that's an incentive for him to bring it every game when he gets called back up, though.

Excited to see how Jensen will do, but I can't say I'm expecting big things from him just yet.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Sesisto-Ebbett-Pinizotto

So we're putting a guy who couldn't produce at the AHL level on our first line now? If we are becoming sellers and using the rest of the season for player development sure, but people are not going to be happy with Jensen at all if they expect he'll be able to do much on the first line.

LolClarkson*

Showcasing for a potential trade maybe :(

King of the ES*

At the same token, aside from Kes returning mentioned above, it was also a difficult moment to make trades as nearly 28/30 teams were in the playoff hunt and most still are from February until end of March.

Didn't seem too difficult if your name's Ray Shero.

"Difficulty" is not an excuse for not fixing your roster. If Mike Gillis doesn't have the ability to make trades, he should not be this team's manager, and it's just that simple.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Gillis may have paid lip service to following the Detroit model of developing players when he arrived but he either does not understand how Detroit developes players or has since abandoned that strategy.

Jensen is not even close to ready for the NHL. He's mostly been a passenger in the AHL so far.

I'd really like to see Gillis pull off a move I actually agree with. Aside from Garrison it has been a barren waste land for two straight years.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
What kind of condition must he be in if he needs a conditioning stint at the age of 22 after missing 8 - 9 games?

He missed those 8 games with a back injury. It definitely is not a demotion. Kassian was playing some oh his best hockey when he went down with injury. If it were a demotion, it would have been done a week or two ago, when he was actually playing. You don't "demote" a player after they have been injured for a couple weeks. How can you demote someone when they aren't playing?:help:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
That's BS and you know it.

There may be a couple unpopular trades, but he has pulled off good trades.

And Kesler was ready and playing less than a month into the season. MG can't predict a broken foot.
Listen, I'm with you that he didn't provide adequate centre depth, I hold that against him too. At the same token, aside from Kes returning mentioned above, it was also a difficult moment to make trades as nearly 28/30 teams were in the playoff hunt and most still are from February until end of March.

what good trades? ehrhoff was good but that was a salary dump. regardless, he gets credit, it was a good move.

after that.. nothing but fail.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice

"Difficulty" is not an excuse for not fixing your roster. If Mike Gillis doesn't have the ability to make trades, he should not be this team's manager, and it's just that simple.

That nearly proves my point, the Calgary trade never would have happened when Kes originally went down. Calgary was not at the point ready to tear down their infrastructure in February.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
So we're putting a guy who couldn't produce at the AHL level on our first line now? If we are becoming sellers and using the rest of the season for player development sure, but people are not going to be happy with Jensen at all if they expect he'll be able to do much on the first line.

The Sedins arent going at all right now, any winger you put on that line isnt working. They cant get any worse, point production wise. You gain more by giving Jensen the best chance to succeed than continuing to let Hansen/Higgins/Burrows on the revolving winger spot. Secondly, if this is to happen, it isnt the end all be all, its to hold the fort until the cavalry comes.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He missed those 8 games with a back injury. It definitely is not a demotion. Kassian was playing some oh his best hockey when he went down with injury. If it were a demotion, it would have been done a week or two ago, when he was actually playing. You don't "demote" a player after they have been injured for a couple weeks. How can you demote someone when they aren't playing?:help:

Kassian hasn't scored a goal in 2 months. He has 2 points in his last 19 games (0 points in his last 11 games). He's produced like a 4th liner. I think this definitely could be a demotion, but one where he receives top line minutes in the AHL to hopefully get his game back on track.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well this solves absolutely none of our problems. Shake up just for the sake of it. Shuffling around a bunch of players that are not NHL calibre.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Well this solves absolutely none of our problems. Shake up just for the sake of it. Shuffling around a bunch of players that are not NHL calibre.

Watch jensen get a hatty in his first game

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

He was also injured with a back injury and missed time.

Well, I guess ever single GM in the league besides Shero can't get deadline players. Incapable? LOL

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The Sedins arent going at all right now, any winger you put on that line isnt working. They cant get any worse, point production wise. You gain more by giving Jensen the best chance to succeed than continuing to let Hansen/Higgins/Burrows on the revolving winger spot. Secondly, if this is to happen, it isnt the end all be all, its to hold the fort until the cavalry comes.

You mean our injury-prone 2nd line all-stars Booth and Kesler? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad