Post-Game Talk: Canucks Beat Sens 6-3. Undefeated on the year babyyyyy!!! Cole, Suter x2, Pettersson X2, Miller

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Dries’ ceiling is a AHL+ tweener. He could plug in as an okay guy, I guess… but I’d rather see some guy with a potential upside.

If they're looking for a guy to ride the pine, practice, and play spot minutes, I could see it being Dries getting the call.

If it's someone who's going to play regularly and get good looks, maybe they go with Karlsson/Bains/Raty. But they may want them continuing to get top minutes in Abby.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If they're looking for a guy to ride the pine, practice, and play spot minutes, I could see it being Dries getting the call.

If it's someone who's going to play regularly and get good looks, maybe they go with Karlsson/Bains/Raty. But they may want them continuing to get top minutes in Abby.
I’d like to give Nielsen a try

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Dries’ ceiling is a AHL+ tweener. He could plug in as an okay guy, I guess… but I’d rather see some guy with a potential upside.
I know that. I just was surprised by how well he was doing down there,

Aqua getting third wheeled by the official Sportsnet account, too. :laugh:

Alternate caption: "The Great One flanked by human trash."

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don’t have issues playing the oilers or the kings in round 1 though.
If we play the way we did last night we last 5 games tops. A dreadful game where 3 of our first period goals went in off Sens players. Garbagio effort by a team playing the 29th best team in the league who are recovering from a huge front office shakeup playing on the road by a well rested team playing their #1 goalie (who was average at best and was coming off a week or so off) and who had been practicing industriously. Naturally Petey shone in this games as he often does in these walkovers but this was no tempering by fire kind of game in any way and if I were Tocchet they would get a bag skate for their efforts.

Reactions: CherryToke

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
If we play the way we did last night we last 5 games tops. A dreadful game where 3 of our first period goals went in off Sens players. Garbagio effort by a team playing the 29th best team in the league
Meh, hard to draw those conclusions from this game. Score effects are a real thing, it's hard to come out and put the blocks to the other team and try to run the score up when you're already up 5-0 (unless you hate them and want to humiliate them). I liked the low-key celebrations on the 4-0 and 5-0 goals.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I acknowledge the inherent discomfort of the seemingly unavoidable, white-knuckle defence approach that McDrai demands when they are at top form. I also believe that the Canucks are built and coached to dismantle a top-heavy roster. The Oilers are a great matchup for the Nucks IMO.
I have to ask the question here, as you alluded to the way the Canucks are built and coached. Obviously , I am a Sens fan, and I see basically the same squad as last year, and many pieces that have been together for years. No doubt you had seen some games under Green and Boudreau on the other side of last night's game.

Just wondering , is it really all about Tocchet? If it is, it gives me hope...

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I have to ask the question here, as you alluded to the way the Canucks are built and coached. Obviously , I am a Sens fan, and I see basically the same squad as last year, and many pieces that have been together for years. No doubt you had seen some games under Green and Boudreau on the other side of last night's game.

I'd love to give you hope, but it's not just about Tocchet. It's about 5 or 6 different things -- all of them important. He's certainly one of the short list of things, though.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Tocchet has been real good at getting disciplined play from the looser/scatter-brained skaters and instilling structure. But he's only part of the puzzle. Allvin has also been huge at making value-added roster moves. And we've had players like Miller and Hughes reach their next level.

From what I saw from the Sens this game, it seemed like the vets were trying to drag the youngsters across the finish line and that's not something you want to see on a regular basis.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

A bunch of people here have observed that the Sens are in the same position as the Canucks were two years ago - good young players (Canucks top end is better but Sens have an edge on depth) but the organization itself was directionless and with no team cohesion. You can't put a bunch of good players together and expect them to beat a team where everybody plays for each other.

Jacques Martin cannot remain as head coach, and you hope that Staios comes up with a plan to align the players styles with the right coach. Berube would probably be great there.

Reactions: coladin

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Meh, hard to draw those conclusions from this game. Score effects are a real thing, it's hard to come out and put the blocks to the other team and try to run the score up when you're already up 5-0 (unless you hate them and want to humiliate them). I liked the low-key celebrations on the 4-0 and 5-0 goals.
We gave up almost 40 shots to a team playing on the road that is in disarray. Also the hockey gods were smiling on us throughout the whole first period. We sucked.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

Tocchet and Boudreau had nearly identical results turning around bad teams.
The lynch pin for Bruce (there it was) was Demko. Demko playing injured then not at all exposed the Canucks overdependence on him for defense.
A healthy Demko at the start of the season has redeemed Tocchet, but moreso Allvin's trades to get guys like Hronek, Zadarov, and Desmith have proven to be inspired much to the surprise of cynical BC Canuck fans.
Interesting note, last night's game shows the team can still lay an egg while backchecking. Whenever this happens Tocchet gets angry and starts drills in their own zone in practice again!
Also of note are Quinn's willingness to shoot a lot more, Hronek discovering himself on offense, the inspired combination of Joshua and Garland on the same line, and belief in Miller in spite of or because of how crazy he is. The loss of Boeser causing Petterson, Miller, and especially Hughes to step up to fill the leadership void make for a big change in identity.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
A good start to 2024 !

Had to watch the game from under the covers, drifting in and out, but seems like Petey had a really good game - we need him.
Feeling better this afternoon so I'll watch the game again. And it's on to St. Luuuuu.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I haven't heard much about Kuzmenko this game bit it seemed d like he got less ice time as the team tried to hold off the Sens rally after the first period. Did he get benched again?

He's doesn't seem to be figuring it out and refuses to make a safe play. He is still holding up at the offensive blueline to try and make east west plays under pressure.

Since Pettersson mentioned that playing with Suter frees him up more offensively I wonder if he's soured on playing with Kuz.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

I really good coach I feel like that steer the ship right for Ottawa would've been Alain Vigneault.
It's a shame he retired though but Boudreau can give the Sens a good bump, just be weary on which coach will do the defense as he is horrible at that.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It is a very dangerous game because we won't understand how the system will truly react until it is done. This is a last ditch attempt - though we are kind of inadvertently geo-engineering by creating the climate and politics to burn the Amazon and the ongoing widespread boreal and Australian wildfire, every year. With that much smoke being emitted, it does have a cooling affect - sort of*.

But those high airborne particulates tend to wind up at the polar regions through atmospheric circulation - Hadley, Ferrel and Polar cells tend to drop the soot onto polar regions, where it decreases the albedo and therefore decreases the amount of sunlight being reflected by snow and ice, letting it warm faster.

*There is a technique in wildfire fighting where you burn an area ahead of heat-of-the-day, in conjunction with prevailing winds where you can shade an unburned area with heavy smoke and therefore reduce the temperature of the fuels by not allowing them to be heated by the sun.
I agree that it's incredibly dangerous. But I also see it as inevitable given our inability as a society to get our collective shit together. And when climate refugees start mass migration across borders due to drought or fallow farmland or flooding, we're going to look at that $2-8B/year magic pill and it's going to look awfully tempting...

FWIW, the Whitehouse officially commissioned a study on feasibility in October. Seems to me that the writing is on the wall.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Tocchet brought in a system that works. There are many systems that work and many good coaches. The trick of it is to bring in the right system for the players you have, replace the ones that don't fit and (the big one) have the players buy in completely. We made many changes to our roster over the past 2 years, brought in a coach who coached defensive structure while still allowing for offense and the years of sustained losing drove our core players to buy into what Tocchet was selling.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I agree that it's incredibly dangerous. But I also see it as inevitable given our inability as a society to get our collective shit together. And when climate refugees start mass migration across borders due to drought or fallow farmland or flooding, we're going to look at that $2-8B/year magic pill and it's going to look awfully tempting...

FWIW, the Whitehouse officially commissioned a study on feasibility in October. Seems to me that the writing is on the wall.

Yeah, I saw that. It is exactly like every other time humans try something widescale and new and are blind / ignorant of the risks involved.

I see the same thing coming as you do, but much worse. It's not just that areas will become unfarmable, they will become straight up unlivable. And when the 1 - 1.5 billion people currently living in marginal areas - Sahel, Middle East, Bangladesh, parts of SE Asia are forced to get up and move due to an unlivable home, climate change will no longer be about rising sea levels. I can't fathom that people see rising sea levels as the biggest threat with this.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the responses .

What I have noticed, in the games I have watched, is more unified play by the Canucks. Granted, in Ottawa, I think VCR had 5 goals on 16 shots or something stupid like that...but I have seen Tocchet not think twice about benching/scratching guys , especially Kuzmenko, because he has the backing of the oganization to do it.

You still have guys like Myers back there who now is part of a top team. I have to think it has to be coaching. Of course , Demko can cover up stuff that will concern Canuck fans in a playoff series, not so much now, but it is a great problem to have considering how bleak it has been for the Canucks.

You guys are a bit hard on your team. Score effect is a very real thing, and it is almost impossible to play with a 5-0 lead after 1. There have been comebacks this year from these types of games.

So, from last year, Hronek is the big addition. I don't really putmuch into DeSmith because, ultimately, you have a Vezina calibre starter. I just see a team where there is accountability in the room thanks to Tocchet , and everyone has bought in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad