Post-Game Talk: Canucks Beat Sens 6-3. Undefeated on the year babyyyyy!!! Cole, Suter x2, Pettersson X2, Miller

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I acknowledge the inherent discomfort of the seemingly unavoidable, white-knuckle defence approach that McDrai demands when they are at top form. I also believe that the Canucks are built and coached to dismantle a top-heavy roster. The Oilers are a great matchup for the Nucks IMO.

The Oilers are a much better matchup for us than Vegas.

Still waiting to see how we matchup against LA - will be interesting

Reactions: Indiana

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I acknowledge the inherent discomfort of the seemingly unavoidable, white-knuckle defence approach that McDrai demands when they are at top form. I also believe that the Canucks are built and coached to dismantle a top-heavy roster. The Oilers are a great matchup for the Nucks IMO.
Like its not unimaginable that Joshua would have more points then mc david

Reactions: Indiana

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Atta boy JT.

If the team listens to sport talk, Drance must be getting on their nerves by now. This is a historic season and he has to piss in the city's cheerios every morning with his negative nancy advanced nonsense.

I really doubt the players listen or care about what Drance says. JT was just having some fun - nothing more

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I'm just watching the highlights now and I noticed the end-boards running an advertisement saying "Carbon recapture and storage is one path to lower emissions" and I wanted to let everyone here, particularly the more impressionable ones that this is a blatant and bloody lie by oil companies to continue with their business. Carbon recapture cannot be done at the scale it needs to be done at the cost that people would be willing to pay.

This sort of '1% true, 99% lies' advertisement really should be outlawed. My blood is boiling seeing that ad. What a load of f***ing shit.

The best carbon capture is keeping the damn hydrocarbons in the ground.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Nucks really didn't let off as much as many are making it seem. It wasn't going to be a 10-0 game There's an inevitable push back from every team in the NHL.

Had like 3 breakaways and a bunch of other high danger chances after the 1st that just didn't go in.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm just watching the highlights now and I noticed the end-boards running an advertisement saying "Carbon recapture and storage is one path to lower emissions" and I wanted to let everyone here, particularly the more impressionable ones that this is a blatant and bloody lie by oil companies to continue with their business. Carbon recapture cannot be done at the scale it needs to be done at the cost that people would be willing to pay.

This sort of '1% true, 99% lies' advertisement really should be outlawed. My blood is boiling seeing that ad. What a load of f***ing shit.

As someone who will soon be defending a doctorate in that field (specifically carbon conversion using renewable power sources but I have lots of friends in capture), I have to disagree.

Dow Chemicals just committed to putting $9B into a zero emissions ethylene (plastics) plant in Fort Saskatchewan.

If I could wave a magic wand and put us all in electric cars, fuel cell planes, and biomass derived plastics I definitely would. But expecting businesses to just lay down and die because of that ideology isn't realistic. I'm not even addressing the job loss that will happen to people employed in those industries and how we will have to spend to retrain them in more sustainable fields.

They're free to put tons of money into the problem because we have a democratic capitalist system, and the kind of money they can put in just to make sure their business keeps going will probably end up with the right scaling to get to net zero by some measures.

Basically saying it will never happen at scale is ignoring that every car for the past five decades has a catalytic converter and emissions control. Or that every polluting factory smoke stack has needed a NOx/SOx/CO scrubber since like the 70s. Or that we effectively banned CFC's in the 90s. Now we're looking at doing for CO2 what we did with those emissions.

Is it "one path"? Absolutely? Is it a sustainable, or efficient path? Probably not, and I hope that declining renewable energy costs will just wipe them off the map eventually. But in the meantime (and TBH after) how are we going to reduce our dependence on plastics or aviation fuel? Those are two very intractable problems even with tons of solar/wave/wind power at cheap prices.

Right now despite a lot of hand wringing from all sides we aren't really sure how this energy transition will go or what technologies will or won't work in which segments and specific use cases. All we know is that it's upon us.

Mods feel free to delete if this gets out of hand.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
As someone who will soon be defending a doctorate in that field (specifically carbon conversion using renewable power sources but I have lots of friends in capture), I have to disagree.

Dow Chemicals just committed to putting $9B into a zero emissions ethylene (plastics) plant in Fort Saskatchewan.

If I could wave a magic wand and put us all in electric cars, fuel cell planes, and biomass derived plastics I definitely would. But expecting businesses to just lay down and die because of that ideology isn't realistic. I'm not even addressing the job loss that will happen to people employed in those industries and how we will have to spend to retrain them in more sustainable fields.

They're free to put tons of money into the problem because we have a democratic capitalist system, and the kind of money they can put in just to make sure their business keeps going will probably end up with the right scaling to get to net zero by some measures.

Basically saying it will never happen at scale is ignoring that every car for the past five decades has a catalytic converter and emissions control. Or that every polluting factory smoke stack has needed a NOx/SOx/CO scrubber since like the 70s. Or that we effectively banned CFC's in the 90s. Now we're looking at doing for CO2 what we did with those emissions.

Is it "one path"? Absolutely? Is it a sustainable, or efficient path? Probably not, and I hope that declining renewable energy costs will just wipe them off the map eventually. But in the meantime (and TBH after) how are we going to reduce our dependence on plastics or aviation fuel? Those are two very intractable problems even with tons of solar/wave/wind power at cheap prices.

Right now despite a lot of hand wringing from all sides we aren't really sure how this energy transition will go or what technologies will or won't work in which segments and specific use cases. All we know is that it's upon us.

Not my field (at all). But what are your thoughts on solar geoengineering as a way to ease the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

So....you're saying the Oilers suck?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

Hilarious. I don't see anything malicious in his response; it was just a good dig. Everyone laughed. He cracks a slight smile.

Despite the first period blitz (and the Sens contributed mightly to this) the Canucks are still not back to being the team on the December win streak. Maybe Xmas rust or whatever, but they need to get a lot sloppiness out of their play.

Good

Pettersson - lot more alert in jumping on chances and staying central in the play. Linemates not playing up to his level and you have to give credit to Pettersson for covering in a lot of areas for those linemates

Suter - postional play is excellent and making the most of chances. Better at center where he can faciliate plays. Good game of cutting off passes especially in offenisve end and playing deep at both ends of the ice.

Joshua -few hiccups but again created constant pressure on the Sens defense and good job on the pk. Thought he was the best of the third liners

Not So Good

Hronek or Hughes - had real problems around the front of their net and, surprisingly, getting the puck up from the back. Hughes also was shooting everything when better options seemed avialable. Neither seemed to have very good wheels in this game compared to their usual efforts..

Boeser - so seldom in the play. Remeber one decent pass in the first but little besides that. You wonder if he has drifted away from his diet routine over Xmas since he has been poor over the last couple of games. Guy likes the good life and maybe a little hard to keep him away from the table.

Others

Juulsen - another solid game. Could make a case for him staying in the lineup when Soucy returns. Keeps it simple which in this game, after the first, was likely the best way to play it.

Demko - made some nice saves but needed better rebound control in this one.

Miller - has kind of cruised through Xmas but this team needs more out of him. He drives the bus and the Canucks need him to play like a star if they are to succeed. Could say the same for Hughes.

Team is now on their most crucial segment of the season. We've all seen the January swoon before and they can't let that happen. They come off this trip with more wins than losses and they are very well set up for the last part of the season.

Disagree on Miller. Thought he played a strong, impactful game. Boeser was always ready in the front of the net but didn't get an opportunity for a tip or a rebound, but both goalies had to always pay attention to him, especially as their defense had to ignore him. Everything else I agree with.

--

Canucks played correctly in the 2nd and 3rd but just didn't execute it very well leaving Demko high and dry. Ottawa got it in their head they could tie it up and pressed. Giroux went into beast mode, almost like they weren't losing very badly and Tkuchuk tackled EP with no response. They decided not to stick up for him so as not to motivate the Sens when they were clearly already motivated.

The fact that the Sens ended up outshooting the Canucks is not an indicator of how badly the Canucks played but that they were pressing from a losing position. When the Canucks were losing the last few seasons they were always outshooting the team because you turtle with a lead - that's what coaches want. There's the consequence to playing this way though and it causes the players to take their foot off the gas, gives the opposition momentum, and the defenders to panic. Coaches never see this though - players love to score. We didn't try to win 10-0 afer the first we tried to win 5-0.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
He can take his gambling ads and shove them up his pipeline.
Was going to say, he is probably up there after doing commentary on the Seattle/LV game because he owes Toch money.

Wayne lives in Idaho now. Can we expect to see him in Van more often and join the organization?

Loved the interview with Naslund because of all the dumb people behind him. Old man with the beer didn't want to bother him but was too stunned/drunk to sit down. Moron with mustache in Johnny Canuck sweater finally realizes at the end, "Is that Naslund? Is that Naslund?"

Makka is such a gentlemen. He internalizes everything he forgets how good he was. The replay of the fans cheering him got him so choked up I thought he'd explode. We can hope he comes home more often with his daughter's move.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
People do know Drance and Miller have a pretty good relationship right?

Drance was at a time known as the Miller whisperer on the Athletic. Getting good interviews with him etc.

On the game. Somehow I thought the game was tomorrow (or I guess today for you folk in North Americanistan).

Good to see the team start the year with a win.

Atta boy JT.

If the team listens to sport talk, Drance must be getting on their nerves by now. This is a historic season and he has to piss in the city's cheerios every morning with his negative nancy advanced nonsense.
If they cant handle a talking head talking about their PDO forget having any success under any real pressure.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

My guy. I am not saying it will never work eventually - it will never work in time. In order to possibly limit warming to 1.5c, carbon emissions must be zero by 2030. Yeah, in less than 6 years. It is disingenuous to continue with carbon combustion-business at usual when we have a ticking ecological and environmental time bomb on a VERY FINITE scale.

I really could go on for a long time about this, but the Canada wildfires this year? As someone who used to work as a firefighter, I've been talking to a bunch of my higher up colleagues - this kind of fire season was not expected for another 15-30 years. Fire season tends not to even start until the first week of July and Canada broke its all time record for area burned in the first week of July 2023. Ending up at 2.5x its prior all time record for area burned.

We. do. not. have. time. to put our eggs in the basket of technologies that are not ripe to be deployed at a global scale in an economic sense.

And it seems that 6 years was an overcount - Europe is expected to hit the 1.5 threshold in 2 or 3.

We are in huge trouble and this carbon recapture is another oil propaganda piece.

All due respect to your work and as someone also working towards my doctorate, the grad life sucks and I think your work is great.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Not my field (at all). But what are your thoughts on solar geoengineering as a way to ease the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy?

It is a very dangerous game because we won't understand how the system will truly react until it is done. This is a last ditch attempt - though we are kind of inadvertently geo-engineering by creating the climate and politics to burn the Amazon and the ongoing widespread boreal and Australian wildfire, every year. With that much smoke being emitted, it does have a cooling affect - sort of*.

But those high airborne particulates tend to wind up at the polar regions through atmospheric circulation - Hadley, Ferrel and Polar cells tend to drop the soot onto polar regions, where it decreases the albedo and therefore decreases the amount of sunlight being reflected by snow and ice, letting it warm faster.

*There is a technique in wildfire fighting where you burn an area ahead of heat-of-the-day, in conjunction with prevailing winds where you can shade an unburned area with heavy smoke and therefore reduce the temperature of the fuels by not allowing them to be heated by the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad