Post-Game Talk: Canucks Beat Sens 6-3. Undefeated on the year babyyyyy!!! Cole, Suter x2, Pettersson X2, Miller

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Starting to build a nice little lead on the Pacific. Oilers are red hot. Would be nothing better than finishing 1st and avoiding playing Edmonton, LA, Vegas in the first round.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Domination in the 1st led to a pretty boring game after

Certainly some things to nit pick after but you could tell they just completely backed off and started to make one too many passes and/or passive plays

Hopefully the team is well rested as this road trip is a doozy

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Despite the first period blitz (and the Sens contributed mightly to this) the Canucks are still not back to being the team on the December win streak. Maybe Xmas rust or whatever, but they need to get a lot sloppiness out of their play.

Good

Pettersson - lot more alert in jumping on chances and staying central in the play. Linemates not playing up to his level and you have to give credit to Pettersson for covering in a lot of areas for those linemates

Suter - postional play is excellent and making the most of chances. Better at center where he can faciliate plays. Good game of cutting off passes especially in offenisve end and playing deep at both ends of the ice.

Joshua -few hiccups but again created constant pressure on the Sens defense and good job on the pk. Thought he was the best of the third liners

Not So Good

Hronek or Hughes - had real problems around the front of their net and, surprisingly, getting the puck up from the back. Hughes also was shooting everything when better options seemed avialable. Neither seemed to have very good wheels in this game compared to their usual efforts..

Boeser - so seldom in the play. Remeber one decent pass in the first but little besides that. You wonder if he has drifted away from his diet routine over Xmas since he has been poor over the last couple of games. Guy likes the good life and maybe a little hard to keep him away from the table.

Others

Juulsen - another solid game. Could make a case for him staying in the lineup when Soucy returns. Keeps it simple which in this game, after the first, was likely the best way to play it.

Demko - made some nice saves but needed better rebound control in this one.

Miller - has kind of cruised through Xmas but this team needs more out of him. He drives the bus and the Canucks need him to play like a star if they are to succeed. Could say the same for Hughes.

Team is now on their most crucial segment of the season. We've all seen the January swoon before and they can't let that happen. They come off this trip with more wins than losses and they are very well set up for the last part of the season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
A lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckhold maybe?

OK, but who am I that I don't know I am? I think my brain broke, thanks a-hole :laugh:

Domination in the 1st led to a pretty boring game after

Certainly some things to nit pick after but you could tell they just completely backed off and started to make one too many passes and/or passive plays

Hopefully the team is well rested as this road trip is a doozy

Up 5-0 I'd imagine there were some players on the bench with 0 points getting anxious about having 0. Which I can relate to, but it's professional hockey. You do your job no matter the circumstance.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Starting to build a nice little lead on the Pacific. Oilers are red hot. Would be nothing better than finishing 1st and avoiding playing Edmonton, LA, Vegas in the first round.

On the one hand, yeah I don't really want any part of the Oilers when they're hot. On the other, goddamn would it be satisfying to oust them in the first round. Especially if we beat them 4-1 or a sweep. Imagine us sweeping the season series and then the playoff series in one season.

It won't happen but I wanna live in that world. :laugh:

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
On the one hand, yeah I don't really want any part of the Oilers when they're hot. On the other, goddamn would it be satisfying to oust them in the first round. Especially if we beat them 4-1 or a sweep. Imagine us sweeping the season series and then the playoff series in one season.

It won't happen but I wanna live in that world. :laugh:

FWIW, I think we match up very well against the Oilers but I don't wanna tempt fate. Everytime McDrai has the puck would be like final exam time in school.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
OK, but who am I that I don't know I am? I think my brain broke, thanks a-hole :laugh:

Up 5-0 I'd imagine there were some players on the bench with 0 points getting anxious about having 0. Which I can relate to, but it's professional hockey. You do your job no matter the circumstance.
Rarely do you blitz a team early and still maintain that pace throughout. There's a reason you don't see the equivalent of 70-20 like Miami vs Denver in the NFL or what LV did to Chargers 2 TNF games ago of like 63 to 14 or whatever it was.

You are basically trying to run out of the clock.

With the Xmas break, it just feels like another short homestand. Off to STL, then NJ, before B2B vs the NY teams but them and LA/Ana is the best B2B situation to have on the road. Will be back at the hotel by like 11pm. Then off to Pitt then Buff, then CBS.

Once they get to NJ, they can be at the next hotel by like 1am. Compared to traveling through the western teams where they'd be lucky to get to the hotel by 2am.

Reactions: Indiana

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Rarely do you blitz a team early and still maintain that pace throughout. There's a reason you don't see the equivalent of 70-20 like Miami vs Denver in the NFL or what LV did to Chargers 2 TNF games ago of like 63 to 14 or whatever it was.

You are basically trying to run out of the clock.

With the Xmas break, it just feels like another short homestand. Off to STL, then NJ, before B2B vs the NY teams but them and LA/Ana is the best B2B situation to have on the road. Will be back at the hotel by like 11pm. Then a bit of to Pitt then Buff, then CBS.

Once they get to NJ, they can be at the next hotel by like 1am. Compared to traveling through the western teams where they'd be lucky to get to the hotel by 2am.

Yeah, it's just a natural thing that doesn't super concern me. It'd concern me if they made it to OT.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No other way to describe the second and third periods, but 'ugly'. It's been awhile now since the Canucks put a 60-minute effort together. In fact you have to go back to the game in Nashville.

Canucks facing their toughest 7-game road-trip of the season. Simply put, they'll have to be better. And the players know it, based on their post-game interviews on Sportsnet.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
FWIW, I think we match up very well against the Oilers but I don't wanna tempt fate. Everytime McDrai has the puck would be like final exam time in school.
I acknowledge the inherent discomfort of the seemingly unavoidable, white-knuckle defence approach that McDrai demands when they are at top form. I also believe that the Canucks are built and coached to dismantle a top-heavy roster. The Oilers are a great matchup for the Nucks IMO.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad