Post-Game Talk: Canucks at Washington Capitals | 11am PST | Capital One Arena

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Whatever the reason is, it's financial in nature.

The game is the product.
The before-the-game and after-the-game stuff are product accessories.

Both cost money.
ya, everything costs $. Only 1 reason that there is no Pre-game and Post-game show: (1) SNP don't care or (2) Don't have enough viewership

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Boeser’s QO is a huge problem.

If he doesn’t have a big 2nd half it is a legitimate possibility that our only reasonable option will be to not qualify him and lose him for nothing. I’m not sure how many people grasp this.
It is 7.5 million. I think you resign him even if he has mediocre 2nd half. He was Canucks leading scorer just last year and he is a known producer. He is tradeable right now as well. If in doubt you do not let him get to off season. If a trade is worked out you would need to be able to resign Miller.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

If he doesn’t have a big 2nd half it is a legitimate possibility that our only reasonable option will be to not qualify him and lose him for nothing. I’m not sure how many people grasp this.

He was our most consistent forward last year and has been good since Bruce. I don't see how that is an option.

Reactions: Indiana

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

No source I just think that there are a lot of things not working in his favor
-He isnt a play driver or a speedster
-His shot hasnt been anywhere near as consistent at hitting the net as it should be for a pure goal scorer
-He is about to go into his 3rd contract so he is going to see a lot of money probably in the 6 mill range
-I think he still has value around the league and could help fix our problems on defense which are more pressing
-Mcdonough and Klimovich are both right shot snipers who have excellent shots and would be a fraction of the cost. I think at least Klimovich is going to be a player, he has too much skill to not at least be given a couple of seasons in the NHL.
-I dont see him being so good that Rutherford who said he wants to get faster to see him as a part of the core. I dont think Rutherford see Petey as untradable either.
-We will need cap space to improve the D and Boeser plus Dickinson/Pearson would open up close to 9 mill in capspace

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is 7.5 million. I think you resign him even if he has mediocre 2nd half. He was Canucks leading scorer just last year and he is a known producer. He is tradeable right now as well. If in doubt you do not let him get to off season. If a trade is worked out you would need to be able to resign Miller.

Boeser has been awful this season and if he doesn't show huge improvement in the 2nd half it would be absolutely asinine to lock ourselves to him long-term at that AAV. He's slow, he's soft, and his production hasn't matched the hype since the first 30 games of his career.

His market value right now is probably zero but if anyone is willing t0 give us anything of note we should probably be jumping on it ... and then re-investing his cap hit in a Forsberg/Hertl/Lindholm/Burakovsky-type asset who brings more to the table.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

First of all, what is the REAL issue? Canucks' cap issue or QO issue? If it is QO issue, Canucks will not get many assets back. So, maybe try to sign him lower value with terms.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
His QO greatly exceeds his performance and his on-ice value. It has to be an option if he doesn't right the ship.

If you're talking about the first 20 games under Green, yeah he and a whole bunch of others sucked. There's no doubt you qualify him even if you plan to eventually move him. Personally I think he's been great under Boudreau and just had that rhythm lost when he went out for covid. He'll be fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First of all, what is the REAL issue? Canucks' cap issue or QO issue? If it is QO issue, Canucks will not get many assets back. So, maybe try to sign him lower value with terms.

Except Boeser has the team over a barrel.

Either we give him the QO or he hits UFA and some stupid team will give him very close to that.

And the issue is both - he isn't worth his QO, and this team is not in a position to be taking risks by paying guys more than they're worth and hoping it works out.

Also Boeser is a winger on a team loaded on the wings with nothing at C or D. He really isn't that important to this roster.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Here is the biggest most important factor with Lammy

Beagle 3 million
Roussel 3 million
Lammy 850,000

*not accurate salary numbers * not gonna google

but if we didn’t have beagle, roussel, and eriksson, how do would we ever have been able to score a $64 million dman like OEL?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

I don’t see him taking lower value. His last contract his sick dad had to tell him to sign for less than he can get or he would have missed preseason too like EP. Or did he miss a few games? I know it was close. The reason he signed that contract and insisted on that QO was because it was a “ okay you don’t have to pay me what I am worth now but you have to my next contract type of thing.”

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The Canucks NEEDED the experience of Stanley Cup winner Jay Beagle who the Canucks signed for $3 mm per season, leaving no room for Dowd and the $750K he took for his first season with the Caps.

Ugh.

It really is amazing how badly that move ended up. We had Dowd in our hands, and he’s been a vastly superior player ever since for a fraction of what we paid Beagle. Oh well.

Figures the one game of the road trip I miss they actually win. :laugh:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
petey alive? scoring two goals? no way... didnt realize the game was an early start.. the 4th line was effective again. top 6 responded. one more and back to 500. hopefully travis hamonic is back. hunt/burroughs cant cut it.. rathbone just came back from injury and still playing in abby to get up to speed.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Except Boeser has the team over a barrel.

Either we give him the QO or he hits UFA and some stupid team will give him very close to that.

And the issue is both - he isn't worth his QO, and this team is not in a position to be taking risks by paying guys more than they're worth and hoping it works out.

Also Boeser is a winger on a team loaded on the wings with nothing at C or D. He really isn't that important to this roster.
Sad but true

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Wait…. Are you saying that it’s sensible to pay 4th liners a salary befitting of a 4th liner? Huh…
Yes
It’s really quiet complex and commend you on being able to somewhat follow my complicated algorithm but yes paying a
4th liner 4th line money is my unique management style

Reactions: Peen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don’t think there’s any chance Boeser has his QO declined. If it came down to it, he’ll be traded for a far lesser return than everyone here wants (B prospect and a salary dump for matching purposes).

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018

He could still resign here. t's not impossible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think there’s any chance Boeser has his QO declined. If it came down to it, he’ll be traded for a far lesser return than everyone here wants (B prospect and a salary dump for matching purposes).

There was zero chance when it was Benning. I don’t have a good enough read on Rutherford yet to say that about him.

Fans would be happier and the optics would be better if we traded him for a 2nd and a bad contract but it would actually be better to let him go for nothing.

I’m very interested to see how Boeser’s situation will unfold over the next 6 months. And I will be somewhat surprised to see him on the 22-23 Canucks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There was zero chance when it was Benning. I don’t have a good enough read on Rutherford yet to say that about him.

Fans would be happier and the optics would be better if we traded him for a 2nd and a bad contract but it would actually be better to let him go for nothing.

I’m very interested to see how Boeser’s situation will unfold over the next 6 months. And I will be somewhat surprised to see him on the 22-23 Canucks.

Could you cite a comparable, in the NHL, where this has happened before? I’m struggling to come up with one. Specifically with a fairly high performing RFA on a big contract. It’s normal in the MLB, NBA, and NFL but not here. Rutherford has never really been a trend setter.

I’d also he surprised if he’s on the team but it won’t be by a declined QO. I also disagree that his value would be so low, even with that crazy high cap number, that the Canucks still couldn’t get positive value back. NHL teams sign terrible UFA deals every season, giving up an asset to sign a young scorer like Boeser will appeal to someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad