Post-Game Talk: Canucks at Washington Capitals | 11am PST | Capital One Arena

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yes
It’s really quiet complex and commend you on being able to somewhat follow my complicated algorithm but yes paying a
4th liner 4th line money is my unique management style

Haha easy, easy. I agree with you. Some of the contracts Benning handed out to bottom 6ths were completely moronic, especially when you can get decent guys for less than a 3rd of the price.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Boeser’s QO is a huge problem.

If he doesn’t have a big 2nd half it is a legitimate possibility that our only reasonable option will be to not qualify him and lose him for nothing. I’m not sure how many people grasp this.

QO is high but they can get the cap hit down by front loading, which apparently is allowed under the rules. If they can get it down to around 6m x 5yrs that’ll do nicely.

also, I think Boeser was good against the Caps, just didn’t score. That whole line drove play well, just didn’t get the finish. Im a bit skeptical of Naturalstattrick’s xG but he had the highest xGF for good reason and it matched the eye test. I don’t understand why you are being so hard on him.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
QO is high but they can get the cap hit down by front loading, which apparently is allowed under the rules. If they can get it down to around 6m x 5yrs that’ll do nicely.

also, I think Boeser was good against the Caps, just didn’t score. That whole line drove play well, just didn’t get the finish. Im a bit skeptical of Naturalstattrick’s xG but he had the highest xGF for good reason and it matched the eye test. I don’t understand why you are being so hard on him.

What motivation does Boeser have to sign that deal? He would get more as an UFA.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The point is that his QO doesn’t need to be an obstacle to getting a long term deal done, whichever number winds up being appropriate. I suggested that deal as I think that reflects what he’s worth at the moment. Boeser might get a bit more dollar and term as a FA but if he was playing well enough to easily rationalise him getting 7+ per year in a long term deal we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

If Boeser signed for 6x6 or even 6.5x6 I wouldn’t grumble too much tho it isn’t quite as efficient for the team and at this point I think we kind of know what ye is. When he’s on he’s a bonafide top line scorer who drives play well, but he can be really inconsistent.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Boeser’s QO is a huge problem.

If he doesn’t have a big 2nd half it is a legitimate possibility that our only reasonable option will be to not qualify him and lose him for nothing. I’m not sure how many people grasp this.
It should be common sense but fans get too attached to players

Reactions: Indiana and Hyzer

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Ovechkin looked like he was sleep walking through this game and still potted a goal. It's just a measly regular season game for him.

Meanwhile, I'm glad we only play Washington Capitals 2x a year because of Hathaway. As I'm watching the replay, I think he's dished out punishment almost a dozen times in this single game.

I just have a hard time believing consistent success until we play with more bite and anger than the Oilers who suck, but don't have an elite goalie. Even the 2011 team was soft at the top, but the rest of the team initiated battles because of their intensity.

Players are content letting opponents get easy shots on Demko rather than playing hard defence. And Boudreau isn't a hard-ass, yelling type coach like Crawford or Torts. So he's probably just going to advice Rutherford on who's not a warrior and that's how they'll deal with passengers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Yes
It’s really quiet complex and commend you on being able to somewhat follow my complicated algorithm but yes paying a
4th liner 4th line money is my unique management style
I don't know. You hotshot posters with your fancy stats and crazy ideas. I just don't see it working. You absolutely need high priced veteran players on the fourth line to carry teams to cups, there's ample proof of this using the eye test and that's what real hockey fans can get behind.

Reactions: Indiana

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
There was zero chance when it was Benning. I don’t have a good enough read on Rutherford yet to say that about him.

Fans would be happier and the optics would be better if we traded him for a 2nd and a bad contract but it would actually be better to let him go for nothing.

I’m very interested to see how Boeser’s situation will unfold over the next 6 months. And I will be somewhat surprised to see him on the 22-23 Canucks.

Do you think there's any chance Boeser foregos his QO and signs a multi year deal that commensurate to his value? I think he'd really, really want to play here to do so.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Could you cite a comparable, in the NHL, where this has happened before? I’m struggling to come up with one. Specifically with a fairly high performing RFA on a big contract. It’s normal in the MLB, NBA, and NFL but not here. Rutherford has never really been a trend setter.

I’d also he surprised if he’s on the team but it won’t be by a declined QO. I also disagree that his value would be so low, even with that crazy high cap number, that the Canucks still couldn’t get positive value back. NHL teams sign terrible UFA deals every season, giving up an asset to sign a young scorer like Boeser will appeal to someone.

Let's not forget that the Canucks can take Boeser to arbitration. The Canucks actually have options on Boeser. Clagary, meanwhile, are in a Mark Stone situation with Tkachuk.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Pretty cool to see how pumped Podkolzin was to meet Ovechkin.

Must’ve been a great moment for Podz, meeting your childhood hero

And damn do I feel old seeing Ovi as a grizzled vet…. I still remember when he first broke into the league with those flying Capitals jerseys and the shiny visor lol

Reactions: mathonwy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I can't believe the first game I miss in 20 games, Petey scores 2 goals. WTF. I've been sitting around as a fan twiddling my thumbs patiently waiting for him to wake up, and he pots two the moment I blink.

This kid is torturing me. Pure torture.
Life is suffering.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Must’ve been a great moment for Podz, meeting your childhood hero

And damn do I feel old seeing Ovi as a grizzled vet…. I still remember when he first broke into the league with those flying Capitals jerseys and the shiny visor lol
Hopefully for us a historical moment?

Hopefully the first work thing Pod does today is to drink a protein shake and pump iron to start his transformation into actual Podzilla?

That would be awesome.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Do you think there's any chance Boeser foregos his QO and signs a multi year deal that commensurate to his value? I think he'd really, really want to play here to do so.
Depends on Petey tbh.

Petey is the giver and taker of hope.

For all stakeholders.

Management on whether to rebuild or not.

Fans on whether to scratch him or not.

Teammates on whether to look out for #1 or not.

Reactions: quat and Indiana

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hopefully for us a historical moment?

Hopefully the first work thing Pod does today is to drink a protein shake and pump iron to start his transformation into actual Podzilla?

That would be awesome.

I would like to point out Hoglander also met Ovechkin and perhaps he too throws the BCAAs in his temple

Reactions: mathonwy

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Can he do that? Would the NHLPA even let it happen? Or is it only another team? This team HAS to make the qualifying offer because he is part of the contract already.

Let's not forget that the Canucks can take Boeser to arbitration. The Canucks actually have options on Boeser. Clagary, meanwhile, are in a Mark Stone situation with Tkachuk.
Is Boeser worth the QO? Especially if a Colorado type rebuild is going to happen, is he worth more to stay and age while waiting for a supporting cast (due to cap issues) or as an asset to be dealt for hopefully better future players all the same age?

I can't believe the first game I miss in 20 games, Petey scores 2 goals. WTF. I've been sitting around as a fan twiddling my thumbs patiently waiting for him to wake up, and he pots two the moment I blink.

This kid is torturing me. Pure torture.
He has lots of good chances that didn't go in and then these. A goal is a goal but Garret made it seem like he looked on the deflection off the back in, I PVRed it and have looked several times, he never looked, I think all he was doing was trying to get it to the front of the net. Still hopefully this is a start.

The GAME;

Essentially two tired teams that played the night before.
Demko stole the game, again.
But Demko will get tired if he plays all the games
Remember he has had surgery on his hips(s)? One for sure.
Thank Benning for the cap conundrum that all but guarantee's Demko playing over 70 games or BAM cap problem. Who do they waive to get under? Who doe they lose if they waive?

If they win the next then what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Can he do that? Would the NHLPA even let it happen? Or is it only another team? This team HAS to make the qualifying offer because he is part of the contract already.

Is Boeser worth the QO? Especially if a Colorado type rebuild is going to happen, is he worth more to stay and age while waiting for a supporting cast (due to cap issues) or as an asset to be dealt for hopefully better future players all the same age?

the qualifying offer is just that, it’s a one year contract offer that is good enough (qualifies) to retain exclusive negotiating rights with the player. There is no reason they couldn’t sign him to a multi year contract extension before it ever gets to that point. I would think this is what the team was hoping/planning would happen. If things had gone reasonably well, you would have never gotten to the QO stage since you’d lock him up well before then.

Now, things have not gone reasonably well. And whether or not the Canucks want to commit long term to Boeser is a real question, unfortunately.

Reactions: theguardianII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
what do you think he gets as UFA?

I think he gets something like 7x7. Maybe higher. I know it seems high, but it so rarely happens for a 25 year old 1st line player to become available for free like he would in this scenario.

And just to add - I wouldn't pay him that and I think he should be traded. I also think there's zero chance he doesn't get qualified and it's probably not even worth a discussion.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is Boeser worth the QO?

You missed my point. My point is that the team can elect to take Boeser to salary arbitration and possibly reduce Boeser's contract next year. If the Canucks have a strong case that Boeser isn't worth $7.5M they can get it down to as low as $6.375M. Obviously it's all but a guarantee that the hearing won't happen but it's an card that the Canucks can play.

My gut feeling is that Boeser will sign a 3 year deal which matches the 6 year deal he was discussing with the Canucks previously.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
And just to add - I wouldn't pay him that and I think he should be traded. I also think there's zero chance he doesn't get qualified and it's probably not even worth a discussion.
If they are going to trade him and get the best result it almost HAS to be around the TDL when they can retain salary and increase trade value.
JR is not DimJ, he won't let assets go for free, no GM in the NHL would except....
You missed my point. My point is that the team can elect to take Boeser to salary arbitration and possibly reduce Boeser's contract next year.
Pretty sure if they go to arbitration all they are doing is delaying his going, alienating the player and diminishing trade value as other teams would know the team would have to deal to get something back.

This thread got off topic eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad