Canucks at the Trade Deadline - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

Pierre Lebrun just said the Canucks have kicked the tires on J.Jokinen as a backup plan for the Center hole (Or Plan D/Plan F as Lebrun said) if Carolina would retain salary or take a player back.

If that's the big back up plan, they should instead just sell and hope for a better scenario next year. That's not good enough.

John Bender*

If Dan Boyle is available, the Canucks should be all over that. Would be a huge boost for the PP and the guy is an incredibly smart player, good leader and would be huge for the blue line.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There's nothing wrong with Jokinen if you can dump Ballard in the process and maybe find a way to get McBain back too.
While there's nothing wrong with him, there's also nothing right with him either.

And he has another year on his contract. I personally dont want paper soft players like that.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I like Burmistrov a lot more than the rental options.

What interests me is this kid was a high draft pick, has shown skill in his limited use with the Jets and is still ridiculously young. If the Jets are selling low on him, I can't imagine the 'Nucks not being in on that. He's the perfect player for this team right now aside from the Russian factor.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
While there's nothing wrong with him, there's also nothing right with him either.

And he has another year on his contract. I personally dont want paper soft players like that.

It's a cheaper buyout than Ballard and is more of an immediate help given his face-off ability. I think sometimes people on here get a little too wrapped up in perfect scenarios.

Wizeman*

There's nothing wrong with Jokinen if you can dump Ballard in the process and maybe find a way to get McBain back too.

There is definitely something wrong with Jokinen. He makes Kyle Wellwood look like Mr Intensity. This is why he cleared waivers.

I would rather have Ballard floating around for defensive depth than get a guy AV will have little patience with and bench within 3 games.

John Bender*

Precisely. It's a poor move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Jussi Jokinen was just put on waivers a couple days ago?

Yeah, but as has already been reported, Canucks have no interest without being able to send some salary back.

Jokinen hasn't even been bad for the Hurricanes. He's a positive possession player while playing tough minutes. You put him into easier situation and his offense suddenly comes back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yuck. and I totally see this as what the Canucks really get at the deadline.

I didn't think Gillis would target players like Jokinen for style, and Roy for acquisition cost, but the keys here could be Raymond and Ballard. Just to match up salaries and to save on the futures given up.

Gillis couldn't get Ott for Raymond. Ott is on a multi- year deal. But perhaps he can swing Raymond for a pure rental in Roy, or Ballard + 2nd I they need Dmen. Same applies to Jokinen. Where sending a salary dump back might make him the Raymond replacement here.

For teams on the bubble, a hockey trade might make more sense. And that's where the Canucks might have an edge in talks.

John Bender*

Jussi Jokinen was just put on waivers a couple days ago?

Jussi Jokinen ****ing blows..........if that's their big acquisition for a playoff push, we are royally ****ed and Gilly has finally cemented his rep as a cement head.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Rumors are floating around about Alex Burmistrov potentially being available. Could be the perfect center for our third line and could be a great player we could develop for the next few years.

Yeah that would be great, although it comes at a price.

Re-iterating what he said in his column this morning; Jokinen may be a better addition than "nothing", but I hope the Canucks can do better.

Yeah its kinda like, the backup plan that is far far far far down on the list of backup plans. And one that only happens under certain circumstance (if Carolina eats salary)

Yuck. and I totally see this as what the Canucks really get at the deadline.

If that's the big back up plan, they should instead just sell and hope for a better scenario next year. That's not good enough.

Guys.

This is like Plan Z. This not something we are highly interested in or a top priority.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
What interests me is this kid was a high draft pick, has shown skill in his limited use with the Jets and is still ridiculously young. If the Jets are selling low on him, I can't imagine the 'Nucks not being in on that. He's the perfect player for this team right now aside from the Russian factor.
I don't think Russian factor is an issue with a guy like Burmistrov. He could have gone back to the KHL during the lockout but stayed and played in St. John's instead.

Wizeman*

Yeah, but as has already been reported, Canucks have no interest without being able to send some salary back.

They have no interest period. I have no idea why Gillis would even entertain the notion.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
‏@RenLavoieRDS (retweeted by Bob Mackenzie)
#sabres Jason Pominville should give tonight or Tuesday morning a list of 8 teams were he does NOT want to play. #RDS

I don't know if we are the right fit, I'm just throwing it out there

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
They have no interest period. I have no idea why Gillis would even entertain the notion.

Because Jokinen is still an upgrade on Schroeder for this season and if you can dump a bad contract in the process, you're coming out ahead. This is pretty much worst-case scenario type of move and as such I really don't get the huge outrage over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad