Canucks at the Trade Deadline - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Luongo goes for garbage then Gillis should be fired because he didn't do his job and didn't do what's best for the team. Luongo + the massive return we could get for Schneider is worth a hell of a lot more than Schneider + a garbage return for Luongo. There's really no way you can spin it. But there are those who want Luongo gone no matter what even if it's for garbage, and wouldn't trade Schneider for a king's ransom because they'd rather have garbage for Luongo. It's mindboggling and baffles me. It's beyond logic if you ask me. I really do not see any logical argument in favour of Schneider + garbage over Luongo + a star prospect or a legitimate top 6 forward.

That's a different thing that you are arguing here than in your previous post, but I can't disagree much with what is above. As much as I like CS, if he could net a substantial upgrade to our forward group (i.e. a Bobby Ryan level player, just as an example - not saying specifically that player), then he should make that trade in a heartbeat and move forward with Lu for the next 5-6 years.

arsmaster*

If it's the same team that has proven that it can't get it done, who was the goalie on that team?

So what changes if we keep Luongo now?

Luongo was the goalie.:handclap:

What changes? The team might be able to score in the post season if they move Schneider for upgrades to the forward group.

It's simple.

We didn't lose because of goaltending, we lost because we can't score.

Schneider lost 2 of 3 last year, but people put him on a pedestal because he did it with a pretty sv %....the outcome was identical to the year before. No scoring.

Dado

...the offers Gillis will receive will be significantly more than what he will fetch if he moves Luongo.

Here's the thing. The possibiliities being tossed around for Luongo are now so bad, that Schneider could bring "signficantly" more and it could still suck. In that scenario, I'm thinking we're better of trading away Luongo despite the greater return.

Personally, I don't think Schneider returns a top-6 forward.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I say three minor trade, two for bottom 6 and maybe one for top 6

upgrade third line center and another center for fourth line for defensive draws/penalty kills That is what MG should focus on.......so kesler focus on Offense only

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I say three minor trade, two for bottom 6 and maybe one for top 6

upgrade third line center and another center for fourth line for defensive draws/penalty kills That is what MG should focus on.......so kesler focus on Offense only

I would really like to make a pitch for David Clarkson if he's at all available.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I would really like to make a pitch for David Clarkson if he's at all available.

Clarkson would be a revelation in Vancouver. He'd become a cult hero bouncing between the second and third lines. Although I don't think it'll be very likely that we could pry him from New Jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Clarkson would be a revelation in Vancouver. He'd become a cult hero bouncing between the second and third lines. Although I don't think it'll be very likely that we could pry him from New Jersey.

I tend to agree - especially considering where they are in the standings right now.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. There's almost zero chance he's moved here. It's like me stating I'd love to see E Kane or Duchene here.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I want Tyler Biggs out of Toronto. There's a plethora of emerging young power forwards in the league. Biggs is potentially one of the best.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It's going to be a huge shock to everyone if Gillis deals Luongo for garbage like people have suggested would be acceptable to them, and then the Canucks get bounced in the first round again and don't have a good season next year. I will not be surprised, I'll be the guy saying "I told ya so" and people will overlook it once again. Next year we'll have huge arguments over certain players that I'll want us to acquire and I'll get the traditional "how can we get such a player when we don't have the assets to spend?" Well we could have had the assets to spend except we gave away our biggest trade chip for garbage.

I agree we will go out first round it looks like already, were just not good enough imo as it stands right now.

But i think the problem is you think a market exists for lou that simply does not. Not much we can do about it. I would love to get a good piece for him, I just think with the length of his contract and age already, and the current goalie market, we simply wont get much for him.

And with the cap going down we need to make a decision. I am somewhat hopeful a team like tampa might offer a bit more, I seen articles from tampa beat writers this year about how they learned there lesson gambling on a unproven goalie.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I like Foligno. He plays really well against us. He is big tough with some talent as well. I see him as a replacement for Raymond if we cannot resign him. However not sure how we get him. Columbus does not need a goalie.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Lots of injuries on philly's blue line. Wonder if they may want Ballard...hell he can also fill in at forward if they need him to.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can't wait until both Ballard and Booth are traded/Waived. That frees up almost $9M in cap space.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I can't wait until both Ballard and Booth are traded/Waived. That frees up almost $9M in cap space.

II feel this way about Ballard and Luongo. Booth I'm not sure on, yet.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
II feel this way about Ballard and Luongo. Booth I'm not sure on, yet.

I was a Booth supporter and defender all through the summer and into the start of the season. I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Booth is another walking medical chart A.K.A Salo 2.0. In a cap world we can't afford a guy making $4.5M whose always hurt. It is time to call a spade a spade and cut our losses. At least we didn't give up anything for him. Ballard on the other hand we threw away a 1st round pick and Grabner who turned out to be a scorer in the NHL. That Ballard deal was a terrible deal looking at it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad