Friedman: Canucks are trying to find a market for OEL

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m with the crowd that OEL is performing fairly for VAN given his contract.

The problem with wanting to move now OEL for a better Canucks fit is that ship has sailed for this season. The time to make that move was before the UFA market opened.

The next window if VAN wants to make that move is summer 2023.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Seems like I have been out of touch with the real world. Wasn't it just 12 months ago that OEL and Quinn Hughes would be the top pair in the canucks killing it on the pp?

4 yrs ago the oilers would kill to have OEL. Heck, the fans said dump nurse and a first for OEL. Nurse was utter garbage and the oilers need OEL. so now would the canuck fans trade oel straight up for nurse. No retention. It was just 4 yrs ago idiot oilers fans wanted to dump nurse. Now is their chance. Recent playoffs also brought out those same idiots wanting nurse gone.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Seems like I have been out of touch with the real world. Wasn't it just 12 months ago that OEL and Quinn Hughes would be the top pair in the canucks killing it on the pp?

4 yrs ago the oilers would kill to have OEL. Heck, the fans said dump nurse and a first for OEL. Nurse was utter garbage and the oilers need OEL. so now would the canuck fans trade oel straight up for nurse. No retention. It was just 4 yrs ago idiot oilers fans wanted to dump nurse. Now is their chance. Recent playoffs also brought out those same idiots wanting nurse gone.
The idea behind moving OEL would be to free up cap by moving a redundant player, not to find a longer, higher cap hit.

Guys been playing as well as we could hope for with little PP1 time, while dragging Myers almost to the point of earning his cap hit, while playing as our top shut down D. Unfortunately, both he and Hughes are LHD that specialize in offense, and neither has been tried at right side. If one of them could, or learned to play right handed, we'd probably be keeping OEL, but as it is, we've maxed out talent on our left side and need someone to play ahead of Myers and Schenn on the right side. preferably a shut down D, on a shorter, cheaper contract.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I’m with the crowd that OEL is performing fairly for VAN given his contract.

The problem with wanting to move now OEL for a better Canucks fit is that ship has sailed for this season. The time to make that move was before the UFA market opened.

The next window if VAN wants to make that move is summer 2023.

You mean when this rumour was started?

Not your fault, but someone bumped this a few days ago, and now people are acting as if this is breaking news. I think the Canucks checked to see if there was a market for obvious reasons, and then saw there wasn't and decided to keep him.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You mean when this rumour was started?

Not your fault, but someone bumped this a few days ago, and now people are acting as if this is breaking news. I think the Canucks checked to see if there was a market for obvious reasons, and then saw there wasn't and decided to keep him.

Not only did that person randomly bump it, but they also acted antagonistically towards Canucks fans in the posts since.

Anyways, it's not worth it to move OEL. If you have to retain and then find a replacement player you don't actually end up saving any cap space.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Vancouver is pretty much a dumping ground for players that just want to enjoy nice weather in Canada and go to the mountains. Canucks are stuck with him, only way is to buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad