Friedman: Canucks are trying to find a market for OEL

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Weird, just yesterday a Canucks fan made a thread about the most goals coming from their centers this coming season and I swear one was selling that OEL was still an elite D forced to carry around that RD core.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I just find it hard to believe there was anyone interested in him, that was willing to take on his contract, besides us.

My bad, his full salary would make him 13th highest paid, but with the retention from the Coyotes he's the 25th highest.

Regardless, still think the contract as another user already said is toxic.
Boston was heavily involved. It came right down to the wire.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

dman34

May 6, 2011
Gudbranson, a bottom pairing guy who’s a similar age to OEL just got a 4Mx4y deal as a UFA. Yes, I realize OEL’s cap hit is 7.25M and he’s signed for one year longer but there’s no doubt in my mind who the better defenceman is. It’s not that far fetched that there’s a market for him, even more so if the Canucks retain a mill. He was pretty damn solid last year defensively. Would’ve been nice to see a bit more offence but Hughes got the ice for the majority of those situations.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Question for anyone, but don't look up his stats before you answer, and don't look at his cap hit.

If OEL was a free agent this offseason, what kind of contract do you think he would get?

Well no D pulled more than 4 years and the top cap hit was 4.75m on a term deal if you ignore Klingberg at 7 x 1.

I'd say reasonable 4 yr x 5m

That's essentially have the remaining dollars owed on his 5 year deal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A good portion do, yes. It's called a sophomore slump for a reason. Opposition teams adjust.

Dunn was given a lot more opportunities to blossom compared to Hoglander who had to go through two coaches in his sophomore slump and was pushed behind due to forward depth.

Every player has different development rates. It is asinine to assume a player who is only 21 years old won't improve and that his second season is his going rate of development moving forward. Quit the underselling.
Then don’t trade him. But this assumption you have that he’s a good and valuable young player is invalid. He’s at best a question mark as a viable nhl player. He won’t have a long career if he plays like he did last season in this upcoming one. He’ll be sent back to the AHL.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I feel bad for OEL and the crap he gets for his contract. With Arizonas retention he is still overpaid, but definitely not by the crazy amount some suggest.

At his current quality, I firmly believe he is more than good enough to be an anchor on a 2nd pairing for a cup contending team.

Unfortunately he is on a very weak shallow d-core in Vancouver where he is needed to do too much.

In another situation if he was on a team with a very deep D like the 2011 Canucks he is capable of being the best defender on a cup contending team with a bunch of quality 2/3/4 level D playing behind him with well defined roles.

I think he gets an overly bad rap from his situation last year, but he is still a good quality Dman.

Assign whatever dollar amount you want to that sort of player, sure it's not his current 7mil tag, but its not a crazy amount lower in my opinion...

Last edited:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Jones is a much better player than OEL.

He's also a #2 defenceman who has a 9.5 million x 8 years remaining (contract just kicked in this summer) with a NMC. Seth Jones is the 2nd worst contract in the league behind Seguin's. Seth Jones isn't worth that contract today - imagine how much worse it is in a couple of years, and the contract is essentially buy-out proof. OEL's contract is bad, yes. He'd be a good defenceman to have signed for say, 6 million over 3 years. For the Canucks, he's about 1.26 million overpaid with 2 years longer than ideal term, but I would much rather deal with that than Seth Jones' albatross of a contract.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
news flash, all canucks players are overpaid and not worth trading for...enjoy the summer people, hockey is still a ways away

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I feel bad for OEL and the crap he gets for his contract. With Arizonas retention he is still overpaid, but definitely not by the crazy amount some suggest.

At his current quality, I firmly believe he is more than good enough to be an anchor on a 2nd pairing for a cup contending team.

Unfortunately he is on a very weak shallow d-core in Vancouver where he is needed to do too much.

In another situation if he was on a team with a very deep D like the 2011 Canucks he is capable of being the best defender on a cup contending team with a bunch of quality 2/3/4 level D playing behind him with well defined roles.

I think he gets an overly bad rap from his situation last year, but he is still a good quality Dman.

Assign whatever dollar amount you want to that sort of player, sure it's not his current 7mil tag, but its not a crazy amount lower in my opinion...
Good player, bad contract (more in term than in cap hit).

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
With the salary cap, free agency (and hype of players), no-movement clauses, GM's overpaying, and players not living up to contracts it's like watching a modern hockey version of The 3 Stooges lolol

Reactions: paulhiggins

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
With the salary cap, free agency (and hype of players), no-movement clauses, GM's overpaying, and players not living up to contracts it's like watching a modern hockey version of The 3 Stooges lolol
No its like watching the modern version of slave-trade. This slave cost this and this much, yet does not deliver the work load he was expected to do bla bla. Except theese modern slaves/gladiators are wealthy and "free".

Or one could compare to one self, An employer hire you, gives you a contract, pay you , a crowd on a messageboard says you are not worth it. Do you give a shit about that crowd or not (?), that is the question.. lol

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Bloated salary combined with player controlling his landing spot makes it unlikely he moves . Of course a team could be incentivised

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Boston was heavily involved. It came right down to the wire.

The year the Canucks traded for him? Or the year before?

I already said I was only talking about the year we traded for him, I don't remember Boston being involved, I could be wrong though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The year the Canucks traded for him? Or the year before?

I already said I was only talking about the year we traded for him, I don't remember Boston being involved, I could be wrong though.
Both. I was sure that instead of 9th overall, we’d end up with Swayman and that Rask would go back to Boston on a cheap deal like Bergy and Krecji just did.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The trade never made sense from the get-go. OEL was already on a quite steep decline beforehand and he hasn't exactly put up great numbers.

What the hell happened to him? IIRC his mom died. Didn't his overall play go down from there?

Nov 1, 2011
The trade never made sense from the get-go. OEL was already on a quite steep decline beforehand and he hasn't exactly put up great numbers.

What the hell happened to him? IIRC his mom died. Didn't his overall play go down from there?

OEL was actually really good last year.

Didn't get PP minutes because of Hughes but put up very good offensive numbers when Hughes was out and also played great defensively.

Only reason to trade OEL is because he doesn't fit what a lot of fans see as the Canucks competitive window and his contract is long enough to potentially negatively affect a retool.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
OEL was actually really good last year.

Didn't get PP minutes because of Hughes but put up very good offensive numbers when Hughes was out and also played great defensively.

Only reason to trade OEL is because he doesn't fit what a lot of fans see as the Canucks competitive window and his contract is long enough to potentially negatively affect a retool.
29 points in 79 games played at that caphit is very bad. Maybe he was good defensively but he is still overpaid by a lot these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad