Friedman: Canucks are trying to find a market for OEL

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
From Elliotte Friedman's interview on the Donnie and Dhali show today. I will edit this post with the full interview when it is available.

The tweet from Rick Dhaliwal that summarizes what Friedman said:

I have a few different thoughts about this—I've speculated before that the Canucks see moving OEL as their primary way to free cap space and fix the age alignment of their core players.

(1) Vancouver's new management does not want OEL—or more specifically, they don't want his contract.
Jim Rutherford has made particular mention of how complicated the Canucks salary cap is, and how they need to align the age of their team around their core players like Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.

(2) OEL has stated before he does not want to play where he is not wanted—and Vancouver apparently does not want him.
There was a quote from OEL earlier this year about why he finally waived his NMC to leave Arizona and he said something like “you don’t want to be where you are not wanted”. The Athletic: ‘You don’t want to be somewhere they don’t want you’: Oliver Ekman-Larsson on leaving Arizona, transition with Canucks

(3) OEL's agent Kevin Epp has not said good things about Vancouver.
And his agent Kevin Epp has been on Donnie and Dhali since complaining about the Vancouver Twitterverse and media and how no players wants to be here because of how critical they can be towards players.

(4) If the Canucks do trade OEL—they would be wise to retain as much salary as they can
OEL at his current 5y x 7.26m contract is an albatross around any GM. But if the Canucks were to retain the maximum amount $3.14 AAV that they can on his contract... then 5y x $4.13m becomes a very reasonable contract for a defenseman of OEL's age and caliber. Especially when you compare it to what Hampus Lindholm signed for in Boston (8y x $6.5m) or what John Klingberg will sign for as a UFA this off-season. If the Canucks were to go down this salary retention path—they could yet transform OEL into a very nice trade package. And even if they were to retain that much salary for 5y—it is still a lot less onerous to their cap than if they were to buy-out OEL at any point and have to extend his cap-hit into the future.

(5) OEL holds all of the cards because of his NMC... but I think there are teams who would kick the tires
But if there were teams that I think could make sense... two stand-out to me. Anaheim has a glaring need on their LD and strikes me as a very similar market to what OEL had enjoyed in Phoenix. Detroit who could use a mentor like OEL to help bring in Edvinsson teach the right habits to their young d-corps.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Can you retain on a player that has already been retained? For some reason I didn't think you could but I may be wrong.
You can. It used to be a maximum of 50%, now 2 teams in a row can retain 50%.

I'll be flabbergasted if they can move him. Maybe for another bad contract that might turn it around ala Lucic for Neal gamble.

Reactions: hn777

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I'll be flabbergasted if they can move him. Maybe for another bad contract that might turn it around ala Lucic for Neal gamble.
And just for clarification, because we've seen this confused around here in the past, the 2nd retention is on what is left after the first retention--in other words, there is no circumstance under which a player can be traded at 0% salary and cap hit. The maximum retention is 75% if two teams each retain the maximum allowed amount.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
And just for clarification, because we've seen this confused around here in the past, the 2nd retention is on what is left after the first retention--in other words, there is no circumstance under which a player can be traded at 0% salary and cap hit. The maximum retention is 75% if two teams each retain the maximum allowed amount.
Yes Ty for clarifying that I should've mentioned that.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I thought he was doing well there, at least defensively? And they're looking to move Garland too?

OEL doesn't really have any positive value at this point because of that contract. They can get something decent for Garland, but at the end of the day the Canucks will have traded a top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder (that got flipped for Jack Mcbain) for whatever they end up getting for Garland.

I would say its easier to just hold onto OEL, but we saw in AZ that when he knows he isn't wanted, his effort level deteriorates and it had a very negative effect on the locker room in his last season here..

Reactions: bh53

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I thought he was doing well there, at least defensively? And they're looking to move Garland too?
He actually was quite good - certainly better than I expected. If he were fed top PP time I think the outlook on him would be a bit different, but he's never going to pass Hughes.

I also don't think he has any positive value, but there might be a team out there that will take him for nothing. He's clearly still got some game left, and GMS love reliable top 4 vets.

Should interesting, but it won't be easy given OEL's control. Benning really screwed the Nucks on his way out of town.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wasn't his only other option last time Boston? I wonder how much he's willing to expand to get something done. I'd be interested to see what Vancouver is looking to do with him even though the Sharks probably aren't well setup to acquire him or use him that well since they have no defensive rhd's to cover some for OEL.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

If they retain another $3m there will be people lining up around the block for someone like OEL who at that point would be making less than Tanev.

People act like OEL is signed until he is 40, but he's only signed until he is 36 and he clearly a good all-around defenseman. Compare with Vlasic who is already 35 and has four more years @ $7m...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Islanders would be highly interested, not sure if OEL would be interested in the Islanders however.
It's nearly an impossible contract to move, but Lou might be one of the few GMs that wouldn't balk at a huge contract for an aging player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they retain another $3m there will be people lining up around the block for someone like OEL who at that point would be making less than Tanev.

People act like OEL is signed until he is 40, but he's only signed until he is 36 and he clearly a good all-around defenseman. Compare with Vlasic who is already 35 and has four more years @ $7m...
Yeah but there's a reason why nobody retains that much for that long.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

They could definitely trade him at that price point, but it's still really not ideal because the Canucks would be stuck in a $3+ million cap deficit for the entirety of their core players' careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad