Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce John Tortorella as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Not sure if its been posted but here is the interview if anyone wants to watch regarding him mentioning edler and his feelings regarding defensemen jumping into the play, and on offense in general.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tortorella-will-ask-more-from-canucks/

On the Edler comments, he was asked about what excites you the most about the Vancouver roster?, he says its a roster thats winning, says every body needs to give more, then, I am interested in this deference-men Edler, wondering if there is more there, there is going to have to be...

I took that as he is a player that he is excited about that he thinks will be great if he takes it to the next level, sounds like a complement to me

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Good point.

In regards to Edler though, it's quite possible that Gillis brought him up in particular during the interviews. In the past he has stated numerous times how much more they expect from him, especially since Salo left. So, there's a good chance Tortorella mentioning Edler has something to do with Gillis bringing him up rather than Tortorella already going that much into detail about the players.

He claimed it was too soon when asked about the roster, nicely punted the Schneider vs Luongo debate and praised the handling of their situation last year. He then said that he had been talking to AV for days, so obviously he's been doing his homework more than he let on. I'm sure MG wants Tortorella to light a fire under Edler, but I'll bet that AV also expressed his frustration with his play.

In any case Tortorella is right to take an interest in Edler, at times he looks like a confident #1 caliber D-man, other times not so much. Maybe Torts can find a way to get him there.

On the Edler comments, he was asked about what excites you the most about the Vancouver roster?, he says its a roster thats winning, says every body needs to give more, then, I am interested in this deference-men Edler, wondering if there is more there, there is going to have to be...

I took that as he is a player that he is excited about that he thinks will be great if he takes it to the next level, sounds like a complement to me

It's a criticism disguised as a compliment. There's going to have to be (more there), which means he feels that he's playing below his potential.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He claimed it was too soon when asked about the roster, nicely punted the Schneider vs Luongo debate and praised the handling of their situation last year. He then said that he had been talking to AV for days, so obviously he's been doing his homework more than he let on. I'm sure MG wants Tortorella to light a fire under Edler, but I'll bet that AV also expressed his frustration with his play.

In any case Tortorella is right to take an interest in Edler, at times he looks like a confident #1 caliber D-man, other times not so much. Maybe Torts can find a way to get him there.

It's a criticism disguised as a compliment. There's going to have to be (more there), which means he feels that he's playing below his potential.

I would not use the term criticism myself, he was pointing out he needs to improve, as he has said about every single player on the roster, to me it was more singling him out as a player that has the biggest potential for improvement and that is what excites him,. how I take that anyways.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Torts is a great signing for the Canucks. I'm not sure what the general feel for the Nucks fans is but I think the Canucks will be much stronger next year. I'm pretty sure if the Canucks didn't grab him, Pittsburgh would have.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Like this signing.
When I first heard the rumours I was a bit thrown off, but the more I think of it, this is a good fit.
The effectiveness of a coach like him is more or less inline with this so-called 'window' of our group.

Both AV and Torts are good coaches.
Each with strengths and weaknesses.
Both teams needed change.

People forget that for the longest time the Rangers were Lundqvist, Gaborik and the gang of Super-Plugs.
He has aided the development of a number of players in his time there
(Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin, McDonagh, Dubinsky)

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I wouldn't worry about the Edler comment, Torts said something similar about Dubinsky when he was first hired as coach of the Rangers. Torts is just trying to say that he sees more potential in the player than what he's shown. Dubi ended up performing decently under Torts and even led the team in points one year, so hopefully Edler will respond positively as well.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
We're certainly about to see a big difference in accountability, from the top down. AV would sooner die than admit he was at fault for anything (even during his NY presser it was the same story) — it's no surprise he led one of the most penalized teams during his tenure here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We're certainly about to see a big difference in accountability, from the top down. AV would sooner die than admit he was at fault for anything (even during his NY presser it was the same story) — it's no surprise he led one of the most penalized teams during his tenure here.

I'll wait to judge.
The new guy always looks better than the old guy.
AV had his faults just like Torts does. Both are great coaches whose shelf life had just expired in their last job. I think AV was a great hire for the NYR and will be rooting for him to do well.
As for accountability, I think AV's belief was that the core had enough leadership to hold each other accountable. He was almost vindicated in 2011. The only criticism I have is that after 2012 he should have changed his approach. My guess is that it is probably not easy for a coach who has been there that long with the same group to change course like that. So, in essence, I agree that we will likely see a different approach.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'll wait to judge.
The new guy always looks better than the old guy.
AV had his faults just like Torts does. Both are great coaches whose shelf life had just expired in their last job. I think AV was a great hire for the NYR and will be rooting for him to do well.

I don't think this is something that really needs to be judged. Canucks are the most penalized team in the NHL during AV's tenure. Tortorella's are bottom 5 despite their style of play.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think this is something that really needs to be judged. Canucks are the most penalized team in the NHL during AV's tenure. Tortorella's are bottom 5 despite their style of play.

This is definitely an area where we need to improve but it's just one measure of accountability.
Others are defensive responsibility, work ethic etc. I think a lot of the issues with this team are in their heads as we just don't play with enough intensity when the games matter. I'll wait to see the results on the ice.
As I said, I think we needed a new approach so I'm looking forward to seeing the new coach and what he changes.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

It's funny because we could potentially see the team playing much chippier, but taking fewer penalties. I'm excited.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't worry about the Edler comment, Torts said something similar about Dubinsky when he was first hired as coach of the Rangers. Torts is just trying to say that he sees more potential in the player than what he's shown. Dubi ended up performing decently under Torts and even led the team in points one year, so hopefully Edler will respond positively as well.

Ya. He obviously didn't mean it in a bad way. There's so much there with Edler. He should be a top 10 dman in the league. We'll see if Torts can get that out of him.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

He wasn't being asked "What are you biggest concerns?" he was being asked "What excites you most about the roster?" Given the context, I took it to mean he thinks he has a lot to work with Edler but their needs to be more (and their does. And if one thing that should be obvious with Torts, their always needs to be more.

I think that's a fair assessment of the player, regardless.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I'm sure Rangers fans have been popping in and adding their .2 but regardless here's my take on Tortorella:

There was an immediate shift in accountability when Torts took the team over from Renney. Renney would never EVER bench anybody besides call-ups or young players. The team often played an uninspired brand of hockey and got pushed around often.

Tortorella came in, told the media to **** off, benched anyone who wasn't playing well, spoke his honest mind to the players and to a lesser extent the media, integrated his insane conditioning regiment and training camp, and gave the Rangers and IDENTITY. As a Ranger fan for around 20 years let me tell you, the Rangers did not have an identity since the mid 90s. This was huge, and it was done without a huge roster turnover.

About his style of hockey:

Obviously lots of shot blocking and collapsing in the defensive zone.

With the right personnel a very efficient PK with the ability to score some SHGs

Offensive zone play is heavy behind the goal line and along the boards. The D will pinch, unless the moment in the game dictates otherwise. If you have Dmen who can get quick wristers off from the point w/o getting blocked alot of offense will be generated in front of the net from deflections/rebounds.

Alot of one on one battles for 50/50 pucks. Torts always preached about battle level and expects his players to beat their man in a 1 v 1 situation (physically speaking not talking about dangling). Any player who is good along the boards with the puck (look at Hagelin for example) will get more playing time and will be invaluable to his linemates.

Alot of hitting and turnovers. Turnovers created by outworking the opposition is the definition of what the Rangers were. This is how many many scoring chances are created, in all three zones.

Players will need to have a total disregard for their physical bodies. Gaborik was blocking shots on this team....

His teams are VERY disciplined. Bad penalties = benched/scratched. He ran Sean Avery out of town (one of my favorite Rangers) even though he was still an effective player because his antics didn't jive with what he was building.

Offensive zone breakouts can be painful to watch at times. I put this more on Rangers personnel than coaching. If you have D that can consistently make an outlet pass you're good, otherwise prepare for alot deflections from the redline to enter the zone.

About his coaching methods:

Players will be accountable. If one of the Sedins aren't showing up consistently, they'll be scratched. And don't be surprised if at some point during the year Torts splits up the twins.

He juggles lines when they aren't working. Very rarely does a line play together for more than 15 or so games.

He uses a third line as a shutdown line and is not afraid to give them top minutes to maintain his match up. The Prust-Boyle-Fedetenko line played over 20min a night some nights.

His press conferences are legendary.

He is a motivator. Watch him on the bench. See how he know which buttons to push with each player. There is ALOT of backslapping when a young player makes a nice play or read. He has his fingers on the pulse of the team.

He is good with young talent. Look at Ryan McDonagh. Carl Hagelin. Derek Stepan. He give them minutes when they're hot and limits minutes to protect them when they're not. He doesn't throw young players under the bus or give them more than they can handle.

Torts and AV seem like total opposite personalities. AV is more of an intellectual and Torts is more Gung-Ho. Torts will bring immediate accountability and an improved fitness level to your club. Hes rough around the edges and doesn't take **** from refs, players, opposing coaches, the media. He's not an *******, its all calculated, and players appreciate his honesty about their game. One more note if you haven't watched the Rangers 24/7 that will give you ALOT of insight. GL I'm rooting for you guys now, unless we meet in the finals!

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He wasn't being asked "What are you biggest concerns?" he was being asked "What excites you most about the roster?" Given the context, I took it to mean he thinks he has a lot to work with Edler but their needs to be more (and their does. And if one thing that should be obvious with Torts, their always needs to be more.

I think that's a fair assessment of the player, regardless.

I would also mention that he specifically said in the press conference earlier that he was going to ask more of everyone on the team, including the Sedins. I don't know how it would be a criticism to then say that he's going to ask more of Edler.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm sure Rangers fans have been popping in and adding their .2 but regardless here's my take on Tortorella:

There was an immediate shift in accountability when Torts took the team over from Renney. Renney would never EVER bench anybody besides call-ups or young players. The team often played an uninspired brand of hockey and got pushed around often.

Tortorella came in, told the media to **** off, benched anyone who wasn't playing well, spoke his honest mind to the players and to a lesser extent the media, integrated his insane conditioning regiment and training camp, and gave the Rangers and IDENTITY. As a Ranger fan for around 20 years let me tell you, the Rangers did not have an identity since the mid 90s. This was huge, and it was done without a huge roster turnover.

This is a heck of a good post, thanks for stopping by. I'm more excited for Canuck hockey than I've been in a while.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Torts and AV seem like total opposite personalities. AV is more of an intellectual and Torts is more Gung-Ho. Torts will bring immediate accountability and an improved fitness level to your club. Hes rough around the edges and doesn't take **** from refs, players, opposing coaches, the media. He's not an *******, its all calculated, and players appreciate his honesty about their game. One more note if you haven't watched the Rangers 24/7 that will give you ALOT of insight. GL I'm rooting for you guys now, unless we meet in the finals!
This was actually never a concern. Canucks conditioning has been a cut above for years, led by the Sedins. This is reflected in third period records in the last couple years (at least, before this shortened season, which I'm hoping is just a blip).

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
Of course Edler can give more. Kudos to the coach for saying it. Any fan who's watched him the last couple of years can see that. People forget how steady and calm he was when he first broke into the league. Now he makes costly mistakes on a nightly basis.

Alflives*

With the right personnel a very efficient PK with the ability to score some SHGs

Offensive zone play is heavy behind the goal line and along the boards. The D will pinch, unless the moment in the game dictates otherwise. If you have Dmen who can get quick wristers off from the point w/o getting blocked alot of offense will be generated in front of the net from deflections/rebounds.

Alot of one on one battles for 50/50 pucks. Torts always preached about battle level and expects his players to beat their man in a 1 v 1 situation (physically speaking not talking about dangling). Any player who is good along the boards with the puck (look at Hagelin for example) will get more playing time and will be invaluable to his linemates.

Alot of hitting and turnovers. Turnovers created by outworking the opposition is the definition of what the Rangers were. This is how many many scoring chances are created, in all three zones.

Players will need to have a total disregard for their physical bodies. Gaborik was blocking shots on this team....

His teams are VERY disciplined. Bad penalties = benched/scratched. He ran Sean Avery out of town (one of my favorite Rangers) even though he was still an effective player because his antics didn't jive with what he was building.

Offensive zone breakouts can be painful to watch at times. I put this more on Rangers personnel than coaching. If you have D that can consistently make an outlet pass you're good, otherwise prepare for alot deflections from the redline to enter the zone.

Players will be accountable. If one of the Sedins aren't showing up consistently, they'll be scratched. And don't be surprised if at some point during the year Torts splits up the twins.

He juggles lines when they aren't working. Very rarely does a line play together for more than 15 or so games.

He uses a third line as a shutdown line and is not afraid to give them top minutes to maintain his match up. The Prust-Boyle-Fedetenko line played over 20min a night some nights.

He is a motivator. Watch him on the bench. See how he know which buttons to push with each player. There is ALOT of backslapping when a young player makes a nice play or read. He has his fingers on the pulse of the team.

He is good with young talent. Look at Ryan McDonagh. Carl Hagelin. Derek Stepan. He give them minutes when they're hot and limits minutes to protect them when they're not. He doesn't throw young players under the bus or give them more than they can handle.

Wow! That's an excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to add to our understanding or Tortorella's coaching style. I must say he is a motivator: After watching his press conference yesterday, I 'stiffened' up and 'the right way' put the 'heaviest' burger I could fit on the BBQ. The only misfortune was that my wife saw the same press conference, and 'blocked' said burger before I could 'bite' into it.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
This was actually never a concern. Canucks conditioning has been a cut above for years, led by the Sedins. This is reflected in third period records in the last couple years (at least, before this shortened season, which I'm hoping is just a blip).
What if even in conditioning there's room for improvement?
What if conditioning is actually a reason for the mediocre Octobers we're so used to from the Canucks?
(As I mentioned earlier, Higgins also mentioned Tortorella's intense training camps and that you better come prepared for that)

What if AV and his training staff didn't do a good enough job on conditioning? (All those injuries during training camp come to mind)

Once you're satisfied, you cannot improve anymore. Torts was stressing the point of "pushing players to levels they couldn't imagine reaching". I'm really looking forward to the first 5 - 10 games and hope, the boys actually have some more jump right off the bat.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

This is the best post regarding Torts from a Ranger fan. Thanks!

Alflives*

What if conditioning is actually a reason for the mediocre Octobers we're so used to from the Canucks?
(As I mentioned earlier, Higgins also mentioned Tortorella's intense training camps and that you better come prepared for that)

What if AV and his training staff didn't do a good enough job on conditioning? (All those injuries during training camp come to mind)

Once you're satisfied, you cannot improve anymore. Torts was stressing the point of "pushing players to levels they couldn't imagine reaching". I'm really looking forward to the first 5 - 10 games and hope, the boys actually have some more jump right off the bat.

How are Kassian and Edler (two players with fitness issues) going to react? Maybe that's why Tortorella made the Edler comment yesterday?

Dado

It's possible, but I'm dubious. AV's tenure has been generally been marked by a team that outperforms in the third period. Given we're a west coast team, that's rather impressive. Plus all we hear about is how hard our guys are working in the off season.

So I have my doubts that there will be meaningful improvements in fitness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad