Confirmed with Link: Canucks announce 10-year extension to Arena Name, TV, Radio Rights with Rogers

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Really a shame, the Sportsnet product has really withered on the vine sans competition and they have never come near the heights of peak 1040, in my opinion.

The Vancouver sports media landscape will remain ultra bland, with obligatory “national” programming, for another decade at least. Probably forever.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People understand that it's important to their business. it's just not particularly interesting to have a "major announcement" to say that everything is saying the same.

I don't know what people were expecting though. It was teased a bit last night by PJ/Dhaliwal that media stuff was the announcement and the only thing that would get announced here in regards to that is an extension with Rogers.
It was never going to be hockey ops related. You don’t give that much lead time for hockey related news as there will be leaks. Business related items such as this would be. I would say the same as to what MS suggested earlier that when to finalize the practice facility they would put out a similar press release.

People here are just hoping and praying for a shakeup at the Canucks ownership level with FA. As much as we want it, I’m not expecting it barring something terrible like Sarver of the Suns to Synder of the Commanders level of terrible that is in direct relation to the nhl team.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
In order of awesomeness

1. TEAM SOLD!!!!

2. Francesco stepping down

3. New arena

4. Sportsnet gone

5. Ticket/beer price reductions
What is the announcement was team sold....to the Estate of Michael Heisley.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It was never going to be hockey ops related. You don’t give that much lead time for hockey related news as there will be leaks. Business related items such as this would be. I would say the same as to what MS suggested earlier that when to finalize the practice facility they would put out a similar press release.

People here are just hoping and praying for a shakeup at the Canucks ownership level with FA. As much as we want it, I’m not expecting it barring something terrible like Sarver of the Suns to Synder of the Commanders level of terrible that is in direct relation to the nhl team.

Practice facility stuff obviously doesn't warrant a "major announcement" presser.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The Sportsnet production is just awful. They don't even care to improve anything and just cost cut as much as possible. Was hoping tsn would get the rights so we would see a bit of effort put into the production.

I miss the days where Sportsnet actually had half hour pre and post game interviews/scrums. When you actually felt like watching the game was a complete experience. Rogers spends all this money on this but they seem totally out of touch with what viewers want.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
For all you donkeys who are playing this down as no big deal, this is by far the biggest income generator for the team next to ticket sales. Its likely more than 90% of the teams in the league get for the same items. I would guess only Toronto, Montreal and the Rangers get more.
sweet, our child abusing owner will have the finest legal team in civil court

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yay.
yay.gif

Reactions: mossey3535

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I prefer to look at it as about half the player's salaries.
that was never gonna be an issue, but were it to be an issue it would be a good one as it would suggest ownership change if the aquilinis could no longer afford to operate the canucks competitively

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What a hilarious let down, that 95% of people don't care about.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
For all you donkeys who are playing this down as no big deal, this is by far the biggest income generator for the team next to ticket sales. Its likely more than 90% of the teams in the league get for the same items. I would guess only Toronto, Montreal and the Rangers get more.
Very cool.

Really a shame, the Sportsnet product has really withered on the vine sans competition and they have never come near the heights of peak 1040, in my opinion.

The Vancouver sports media landscape will remain ultra bland, with obligatory “national” programming, for another decade at least. Probably forever.
Sportsnet product is ass.

Reactions: TruGr1t

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

there's no way. there was only a single bidder. the canucks had to threaten to do radio and tv in house over the internet or something just to not get completely lowballed

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Pfff, watch we just go full blown corporate and have sections in white and red forming Rogers logo's all over the arena.
The new seats will project ads visible to tv viewers using innovative radioactive technologies that render organic material transparent.

• Love
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This is such great news omg! Cant believe I missed the announcement, Im so happy this got done!!!!

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don’t know… Bell is really bad!!! Telus isn’t that great either, their now charging the credit card fees to their customers 😂 it’s a 3 headed monster we have in Canada

Bell blows as well for sure. Telus is pricey but at least they have a good network.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I don’t follow the business side, but I do appreciate it. For ten years at least we won’t have a repeat of letting three major peaces go because of a fragile economic state…

And also there was people who cared enough to freak out in the summer over in house broadcasts so there is that to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad