Friedman: Canucks and New jersey trade up situation

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Don't really care who said what and if it turns out to be true or complete hogwash. It is what it is. You're taking someone's word like it's law without having your own opinion. It's pretty sad.

Sorry if that makes me a jerk, but I like when people formulate their own thoughts and opinions, not regurgitate other peoples.

Its just a sports forum. People read other more informed hockey opinions and post them. Surely thats not such a terrible thing on a hockey discussion forum lol. Or do you really hate it that much lol? I could understand politics or religion but hockey??? Didnt think could reach such hate lol...

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Sorry Vancouver fans not gonna bother reading the proposals just here to burst your bubble. This simply won't happen. Shero would be a lunatic to trade the first overall pick managing s team that desperately needs to build

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't view Hischier or Patrick as infinitely better then other choices on the list.

They are better, just not worth our major trading chip along with our highest draft pick (tied) since the Sedins were drafted. Glass and Vilardi aren't that far off in terms how I view their careers panning out. Makar and Heiskanen are fine choices too.

Patrick and Hischier are 1 and 2, but Dallas and Colorado probably go one C and one D.

One of the four I listed plus a small add would be the most I'd want to go, even for a shot at taking P or H. If not, we will take who we take, if it was up to me anyway. Any of the next four plus a 2nd plus Tanev plus plus plus just doesn't make sense to me.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
This might be OT but how accurate is Friedman when it comes to his reporting on rumors or his own speculations? In fact, how accurate is Dreger, McKenzie, and Kypreos? I would be interested to see if anyone has a track record of the reports they've mentioned and see what their conversion percentage is and benchmark that. I'm it would spike up during the deadline and free agenzy.

Anyway, I don't see the Devils moving down.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Sorry Vancouver fans not gonna bother reading the proposals just here to burst your bubble. This simply won't happen. Shero would be a lunatic to trade the first overall pick managing s team that desperately needs to build

I don't see it being a beneficial move for either team so no bubbles bursted. On another note, is the last trade the 2 teams made Schneider for Horvat? Cause that definitely shook up draft day

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Every single year...

They practically never move yet every year there's at least 2-3 teams 'in discussions to move up' to the top ~5 picks.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
T

But a team like Dallas? They're in more of a win now mode; flipping the pick for a top-four defender could make a lot of sense. Philly is in a similar boat, but they likely just pick Hischier/Patrick and hope they can be the cornerstone center for the incoming defenders.
Dallas maybe, but I'm a Flyers fan and with all due respect that is incorrect. The Flyers got EXACTLY what they needed when they moved up which is a potential top 6 center who is young and can mesh with the glut of young talented D they have in their organization. I can't see Jersey trading the pick either for the record which means the very likely scenario is neither of the top 2 picks are moved and my points are validated.

I love when you point out facts to people (not talking about you specifically) though and they find silly ways to try and discredit them. The fact is we hear this nonsense every year and the first couple of picks barely ever get traded.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I believe we may start seeing trades in the first round of the draft this year, starting with the THIRD pick.

In the end, the consensus is there are two top talents in this draft. The top two teams will listen, but ultimately decide it is best that they keep the picks and draft a potential franchise center for each. I said POTENTIAL, not a sure thing. But the very best of a fairly mediocre draft class.

Once the top two picks are made, teams may start to jockey based on their own needs and their own draft boards.

Also keep in mind, teams might be looking for NHL talent at the NHL draft because they might have lost a player in the expansion draft that they need to replace.

I think things may get quite wacky this year, in the coming 30 days or so.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Of all the drafts to trade up in, I don't think this is the one.

The drop off isn't huge after the top 2... and someone is probably going to get a real gem with a later pick.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
The Devils can't move the pick.

Not even based on the players available. Just purely from a fanbase/marketing standpoint.

It's the usual BS that is spewed every year by the team with the #1 pick. They always say they are open to trades, but never trade it.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
It's the usual BS that is spewed every year by the team with the #1 pick. They always say they are open to trades, but never trade it.

It's almost certainly the media who does it every year to drive up discussion and web hits. There's little to gain by the team picking #1 to drive up trade talks if they don't actually intend to trade it..

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
It's almost certainly the media who does it every year to drive up discussion and web hits. There's little to gain by the team picking #1 to drive up trade talks if they don't actually intend to trade it..

They always do it though.....I think it's part of the GM playbook. Pretend you are interested to see if you can get an idiot to come out of the woodwork with some insane offer.

(Benning, Snow, Chiarrelli etc....there are some morons out there).

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
They always do it though.....I think it's part of the GM playbook. Pretend you are interested to see if you can get an idiot to come out of the woodwork with some insane offer.

(Benning, Snow, Chiarrelli etc....there are some morons out there).

Not once has Shero indicated the pick is available for trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad