Friedman: Canucks and New jersey trade up situation

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
6. Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

Pretty interesting/big news :handclap: (If there was any year a 1st overall would be moved, it would be this one)

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see Vancouver trading up to 1st overall, but the issue is that New Jersey needs defensive help and the top defensemen in this draft will likely be gone by 6th overall (almost definitely will be taken by Dallas and Colorado). I could see Juolevi being the centerpiece rather than the 6th overall if that kind of trade would happen.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I could see Vancouver trading up to 1st overall, but the issue is that New Jersey needs defensive help and the top defensemen in this draft will likely be gone by 6th overall (almost definitely will be taken by Dallas and Colorado). I could see Juolevi being the centerpiece rather than the 6th overall if that kind of trade would happen.

Devils can take Lilijegren, who is projected at 8th or 9th.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa

Doubt it be juolevi. We do have tanev...

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
That would be pretty bad to trade down from 1st overall to 6th overall just to take a guy that is ranked anywhere between 8th and 22nd in the final rankings.

Well, Heiskanen and Makar will surely be gone by then, so I was providing the best scenario at the Devils' position.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Sharks would give them Paul Martin for our third back as a stop-gap. Not gonna win you the cup, but he'll stabilize your rebuild.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't really get the idea of Jersey trading down for a defenseman when their forward core isn't good either. Just take the BPA and surest bet. But I guess Shero loves his defensemen

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I don't really get the idea of Jersey trading down for a defenseman when their forward core isn't good either. Just take the BPA and surest bet. But I guess Shero loves his defensemen

Maybe, they are thinking of keeping Kovalchuk and bolstering their defense through the entry draft.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I would not get my hopes up if I were a Canucks fan. While it's true the Devils need defensemen, they also need a number 1 center, as do a lot of teams. Patrick fits that bill so long as he's healthy. He's actually having another set of medical tests done for the Flyers and Devils. It also doesn't help that Makar or Heskanen are not can't miss prospects.

Basically, Shero will have to sell any deal to the owner and the fans as a giant fleece job, and it'll really have to look like that. I imagine Canucks fans don't want to be on the other end of that.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Reading comprehension on this board is really poor.

Friedman doesn't say there are rumblings between the two clubs at all. He's purely speculating and he makes it painfully clear he is in that paragraph by using the words "for example". If he had any substance to his speculation, he would have said something more obvious.

My favorite two parts there though:
1) Growing suspicion NJ needs blue-liners. No. ****ing. ****. Did he have to work extra hard to figure that one out?
2) Lol at Benning thinking the 55th overall pick is enticing to move up within the top 5.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Reading comprehension on this board is really poor.

Friedman doesn't say there are rumblings at all. He's purely speculating and he makes it painfully clear he is in that paragraph by using the words "for example". If he had any substance to his speculation, he would have said something more obvious.

My favorite two parts there though:
1) Growing suspicion NJ needs blue-liners. No. ****ing. ****. Did he have to work extra hard to figure that one out?
2) Lol at Benning thinking the 55th overall pick is enticing to move up within the top 5.

The last time a first overall was moved it was from the Panthers to the Pens in the 2003 draft.

Panthers gave up 1st and 73rd for 3rd, 55th and Mikael Samuelsson, who scored a whopping 3 goals for the Panthers. I have a really hard time getting excited for a deal like that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This makes zero sense for the Oilers. They've been needing a 1st line center since forever so they have no motivation to trade that pick unless it's in a package for a #1 center.
I'd imagine that Devils fans are fed up with these stupid rumors. As an Oiler fan, I can feel their pain.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Pretty sure Vancouver has not talked to New Jersey about trading up for the pick. This doesn't even suggest that New Jersey is looking at trading the pick, but rather Elliott thinking out loud. Vancouver has looked at trading up within the top-5 using CBJ's 2nd round pick but to no avail thus far (I'd rather keep the pick, as I see 3-5 being a separate tier from the first and third tier with Vilardi, Heiskanen and Makar)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Really hard to place any credibility in this rumor.....Jersey trading back in the draft makes no sense unless they're convinced there's a pick at 5-6 who's just as good as the either Patrick or Hischier...at some point you have to keep the faith with the fan-base.....if they're pumped for the first overall pick, it would be a big letdown.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No he is not

I'm convinced.

The only thing you ever hear about are his negatives (injury troubles). It's laughable. And the fact that he isn't a McDavid super prospect people are acting like his ceiling is RNH. That's also laughable. He has Anze Kopitar type potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad