Friedman: Canucks and New jersey trade up situation

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
be my guest. there is no draft where id rather have 5thOA and a 2nd than first overall

The suggested trade was 1st overall for 5th overall and 2 second round picks, one of which is only 2 picks out of the first round. Patrick and Hirschier could be very good players but they are not franchise players. This feels an awful lot like the drafts where Edmonton took Yakupov and RNH first overall. You could walk away with Makar at 5 and if he turns out to be a Karlsson type defenceman you are actually better off. Rather keep two 2nds in a draft like this.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It is more likely than not that the top three picks aren't moved. That isn't what you said though, you based your opinion on past years, which makes for a bad analogy since the rules have changed significantly.
The rules changes are completely irrelevant. Every year "reporters" talk about this rumor or that rumor about top 3 picks being in play and they never get moved. Every year numerous fans believe the hype and think something big is going to happen and it never does. The fact is, good team, bad team, middle of the road team there is typically better value in keeping high picks which is why they don't get moved.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
No way I would give up 5 and 33 and 55 for Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. The guy you wait and get at 5 could turn out to be just as good or maybe even better Ina draft like this. I keep the 2 2nd rounder and increase my prospect chips.

I respectfully disagree. I'd pull the trigger on that trade instantly. Better than 5th + Tanev.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I just don't see it happening.

From a Devils perspective, I'd want Juolevi to do this. Then you'd take whoever is left of Glass/Mittlestadt/Vilardi at #5.

My offer would be #1 + #38 for #5 + Juolevi + Virtanen. I would consider that from a Devils point of view, but even then I'm still skeptical. Without Juolevi (or a similar defensive prospect) coming to NJ, I would just keep the pick, pick between Hischier/Patrick, and call it a day.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The suggested trade was 1st overall for 5th overall and 2 second round picks, one of which is only 2 picks out of the first round. Patrick and Hirschier could be very good players but they are not franchise players. This feels an awful lot like the drafts where Edmonton took Yakupov and RNH first overall. You could walk away with Makar at 5 and if he turns out to be a Karlsson type defenceman you are actually better off. Rather keep two 2nds in a draft like this.

If you're so sure that Nico and Nolan aren't that good and that number 5 might turn into a better player, then why the hell are you so interested in trading up in the first place?

Seriously, for Canucks fans' sake, I hope Benning is a slightly better negotiator.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The rules changes are completely irrelevant. Every year "reporters" talk about this rumor or that rumor about top 3 picks being in play and they never get moved. Every year numerous fans believe the hype and think something big is going to happen and it never does. The fact is, good team, bad team, middle of the road team there is typically better value in keeping high picks which is why they don't get moved.

There's definitely a lot more weight this year.

Usually teams that are top 3 need the pick more than anything a team will trade, like if Colorado, Vancouver, and Vegas were 1-2-3, respectively.

But a team like Dallas? They're in more of a win now mode; flipping the pick for a top-four defender could make a lot of sense. Philly is in a similar boat, but they likely just pick Hischier/Patrick and hope they can be the cornerstone center for the incoming defenders.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I respectfully disagree. I'd pull the trigger on that trade instantly. Better than 5th + Tanev.

And I respect your opinion.

Given the choice of Nolan Patrick or Cale Makar/ Casey Middlestadt + Jaret Anderson-Nolan +Markus Phillips ...I personally take the latter.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If you're so sure that Nico and Nolan aren't that good and that number 5 might turn into a better player, then why the hell are you so interested in trading up in the first place?

Seriously, for Canucks fans' sake, I hope Benning is a slightly better negotiator.

Actually he doesn't want us to trade up, I also don't want to trade up.... like I said the 5th and CBJ 2nd is the best I'd be ok with, outside that I'd much rather have Makar or Pettersson at 5th plus whoever we take with those two second rounders

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I have no interest in trading up in this draft. Rather keep more draft picks in a very average draft where no player doesn't come with question marks.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Don't worry, all you fans bickering about picks will be happy / disappointed, when there's no movement between the top 5 picks.

I know it's FUN AF to imagine you getting the #1 pick, so have fun with it. Hell boot up NHL 17 and trade for it! Make a dynasty!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
And I respect your opinion.

Given the choice of Nolan Patrick or Cale Makar/ Casey Middlestadt + Jaret Anderson-Nolan +Markus Phillips ...I personally take the latter.

I agree with you here I like Patrick I really think will be good but the difference between him and the options at 5 is big but not big enough to gut the rest of our picks this year when we need so so so so so SO much help in our prospects cupboard. If it was Matthews or Mcdavid obviously YES i would do it but then the asking would be a lot higher

If anything we should be trading down to get a couple a more picks if possible. But even with that id rather just stay at 5 and trade other assets to get more picks and prospects

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Nolan Patrick is the most underrated prospect in years.

Nolan Patrick may not even be the 1st overall pick,he's certainly no slam dunk over Hischier...I don't believe anybody in this draft is 'projected' to be a 'franchise' player...Like 2014,the best players will more than likely be picked after the top 5.

As to the rumour of NJ trading the 1st...not gonna happen..Its just the usual media fed 'pre-draft' posturing.

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
Reading comprehension on this board is really poor.

Friedman doesn't say there are rumblings between the two clubs at all. He's purely speculating and he makes it painfully clear he is in that paragraph by using the words "for example". If he had any substance to his speculation, he would have said something more obvious.

My favorite two parts there though:
1) Growing suspicion NJ needs blue-liners. No. ****ing. ****. Did he have to work extra hard to figure that one out?
2) Lol at Benning thinking the 55th overall pick is enticing to move up within the top 5.
you do realise the Canucks are already5nat so they wouldn;t be trying to move into the top 5. You and like 5 other people keep referring to Van as outside the top 5 or were picking 6th. Well were at 5 and will proly stay there You should check your reading comprehension.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Sure they are lol :laugh:
You're ignoring team motives completely. Some teams want to compete this season and are in the middle of their window to do so (Dallas). It's unlikely that 3rd overall, in that case, would contribute as much as a player like Tanev.
And you use the word 'typically'... this draft is anything but typical. Analysts believe there is no generational talent, and that 3-10 or so are all fairly comparable. Couple that with the fact that two out of the three teams are ready to compete and lucked out on getting a high pick, and it's a very different situation.

Not to mention the fact that, in some drafts, a top 3 pick won't turn out to be the player Tanev is. At least the team is getting the proven player over the mystery box prospect (I'm looking at Yakupov, Gudbranson, Murray, RNH, etc. as players that I'd value less than Tanev. Arguably Landeskog and Larsson as well. Funnily enough, two of the players that I just mentioned are from the last weak draft...Yakupov and Murray).

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
As a Canucks fan, in this years draft where there isn't a lot separating #1 from #5, I wouldn't give up anymore than the Blue Jackets pick.
I feel like the only advantage to getting the #1 pick in this draft is that there is a much higher likelihood the #1 makes it as an NHL'er this season (which helps sell tickets, but probably doesn't help you win many games).
But 3-5 years from now, the guy taken at #5 seems to have every bit the opportunity to be as good or close to it, as whomever is selected #1 this year.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
As a Canucks fan, in this years draft where there isn't a lot separating #1 from #5, I wouldn't give up anymore than the Blue Jackets pick.
I feel like the only advantage to getting the #1 pick in this draft is that there is a much higher likelihood the #1 makes it as an NHL'er this season (which helps sell tickets, but probably doesn't help you win many games).
But 3-5 years from now, the guy taken at #5 seems to have every bit the opportunity to be as good or close to it, as whomever is selected #1 this year.
Ah yes, which is why the guy at #5 (whoever that is) is in the mix with the 2 players that rate way better.

The guy at #5 is so good and is so can't miss, people don't even want to attach a name to him.

There's not a lot separating #3 from #10. The separation between #1-#2 is negligible and it is as close as there has been in a modern draft, but there is most def quite a bit of separation between the top 2 and the rest.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
you do realise the Canucks are already5nat so they wouldn;t be trying to move into the top 5. You and like 5 other people keep referring to Van as outside the top 5 or were picking 6th. Well were at 5 and will proly stay there You should check your reading comprehension.

Go look up the meaning of the word "within".. for christ's sake. There's a reason I didn't say "into".

After you brush up on the reading comprehension, spending time reviewing basic english definitions may help too.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No way I would give up 5 and 33 and 55 for Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. The guy you wait and get at 5 could turn out to be just as good or maybe even better Ina draft like this. I keep the 2 2nd rounder and increase my prospect chips.

keep your picks then, we don't care.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I agree with you here I like Patrick I really think will be good but the difference between him and the options at 5 is big but not big enough to gut the rest of our picks this year when we need so so so so so SO much help in our prospects cupboard. If it was Matthews or Mcdavid obviously YES i would do it but then the asking would be a lot higher

If anything we should be trading down to get a couple a more picks if possible. But even with that id rather just stay at 5 and trade other assets to get more picks and prospects

Exactly right. Not the right move for the Canucks rebuild. I would try to get 3 overall for a package around Tanev though.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Ah yes, which is why the guy at #5 (whoever that is) is in the mix with the 2 players that rate way better.

The guy at #5 is so good and is so can't miss, people don't even want to attach a name to him.

There's not a lot separating #3 from #10. The separation between #1-#2 is negligible and it is as close as there has been in a modern draft, but there is most def quite a bit of separation between the top 2 and the rest.

Makar and Pettersson aren't far behind... Button has said Makar has star written all over him... Glass as well had a huge season. Both Patrick and Hischier have their weaknesses too, Patrick has a lot of questions around him about his health.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Makar and Pettersson aren't far behind... Button has said Makar has star written all over him... Glass as well had a huge season. Both Patrick and Hischier have their weaknesses too, Patrick has a lot of questions around him about his health.
HF in a nut shell. Take another person's word and act like it's your own view.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Is it wrong? Stop trying to be a jerk please :facepalm:
Don't really care who said what and if it turns out to be true or complete hogwash. It is what it is. You're taking someone's word like it's law without having your own opinion. It's pretty sad.

Sorry if that makes me a jerk, but I like when people formulate their own thoughts and opinions, not regurgitate other peoples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad