Friedman: Canucks and New jersey trade up situation

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Some potential ones I'd consider as a Canucks fan:

Devils: 1st overall
Canucks: 5th overall + 33rd overall + 55th overall

Devils: 1st overall + McLeod/Quenneville
Canucks: 5th overall + Tanev (and 33rd/55th overall if need be)

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
It's a joke that you think the Devils would move down to stockpile picks. This isn't the nfl

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

It would have to be an overpayment and neither of those are overpayments.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

neither of these deals do anything for NJ but trade 2 is substantially worse with absolutely no disrespect to Tanev

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Tanev and 5th for 1st overall would be a mistake. The gap between 5th and 1st is not worth a defenseman like Tanev. We can get much better value trading Tanev on his own to a team that actually needs him right now.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Same nonsense every year and nobody ever trades the number 1 pick. People bite on it, hook, like, and sinker too. NJ is going to stay put and take Hischier or Nolan, the Flyers will take the other. Nothing to see here.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Same nonsense every year and nobody ever trades the number 1 pick. People bite on it, hook, like, and sinker too. NJ is going to stay put and take Hischier or Nolan, the Flyers will take the other. Nothing to see here.

If only the rules changed substantially for the lottery picks.
Not saying this is true for NJ, but this is the first draft where competitive teams are picking in the top 3 due to the new lottery odds (see Dallas/Philly). Comparing this draft to past years is erroneous.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
NJ has their own & Boston's picks in the 2nd round with 3 in the 3rd.
Unless totally sold on Nico or Nolan it might make sense to trade the 1st OA to Vancouver (so Benning can give the mob something to be excited about) along with a 2nd (NJs) & the lowest of the 3rds (Sharks) for Joulevi, BJs comp pick & 5th OA.
Vancouver gets excitment & move up in the 1st 3 rounds to help the rebuild while NJ gets a former 1st round D 1 year further along & a C a tad below the top 2 but drafts a bit later in the 3 rounds.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
that is beyond brutal. trading down AND giving up McLeod, talk about trashing the future

It's almost as if Tanev wasn't included in that deal. But I realize his age might not match NJ's long-term plans in rebuilding. Which also makes it perplexing as to why NJ would want to give up the 1st overall pick to begin with.

I don't know your prospect pool well enough, but I was trying to include someone in the 3rd - 5th best prospect range to make up for the difference in value (5th overall, Tanev, and potentially a second rounder is worth more than 1st overall)

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Unless totally sold on Nico or Nolan it might make sense to trade the 1st OA to Vancouver (so Benning can give the mob something to be excited about) along with a 2nd (NJs) & the lowest of the 3rds (Sharks) for Joulevi, BJs comp pick & 5th OA.
Vancouver gets excitment & move up in the 1st 3 rounds to help the rebuild while NJ gets a former 1st round D 1 year further along & a C a tad below the top 2 but drafts a bit later in the 3 rounds.

So Vancouver trades a 5th overall pick + a former 5th overall from last season + 55th overall for 1st overall in a draft that doesn't even have a unanomious first overall pick? LOL no thanks

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If only the rules changed substantially for the lottery picks.
Not saying this is true for NJ, but this is the first draft where competitive teams are picking in the top 3 due to the new lottery odds (see Dallas/Philly). Comparing this draft to past years is erroneous.

Come talk to me in about two weeks and tell me how erroneous it is.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
55th pick means nothing to NJ when they already have 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders

Yep.

If for some reason the Devils end up moving down, centerpiece of that deal would have to be a roster player.

Let's keep in mind this team traded for Hall last summer.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Pettersson and Makar could end up being the best players in this draft... this is a pretty underwhelming top end talent, like the Yaks or RNH, players that should be good but no franchise level players. Canucks shouldn't trade up this year its really not worth the loss of assets to do so, stay at 5th, if we get the 3rd overall for Tanev great if not thats fine

Exactly, well said.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Tanev seems to be a slightly above replacement level defenseman who is already at an age where he'll begin to decline. The Devils could have an all ECHL blue line, and he would bring very little value, same as he brings little value to the Canucks given that the Canucks were actually worse than the Devils last year.

And as someone else has noted, the Devils do not need more picks. Shero is looking to trade some of the picks we have as is.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It would have to be an overpayment and neither of those are overpayments.

No way I would give up 5 and 33 and 55 for Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. The guy you wait and get at 5 could turn out to be just as good or maybe even better Ina draft like this. I keep the 2 2nd rounder and increase my prospect chips.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Come talk to me in about two weeks and tell me how erroneous it is.

It is more likely than not that the top three picks aren't moved. That isn't what you said though, you based your opinion on past years, which makes for a bad analogy since the rules have changed significantly.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
No way I would give up 5 and 33 and 55 for Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier. The guy you wait and get at 5 could turn out to be just as good or maybe even better Ina draft like this. I keep the 2 2nd rounder and increase my prospect chips.

be my guest. there is no draft where id rather have 5thOA and a 2nd than first overall

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

We're absolutely not giving up Juolevi to move up 4 spots in a weak draft. Terrible idea.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

So in other words you have no interest in trading up at all. Well ok, then.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I remember when this was a 2 player draft lel
now you're gonna get a way better player at 5 than the 2 players who clearly rate much much higher than the rest.
This magical player, whomever it is, is gonna be awesome at 5... yet he's not identifiable and doesn't rate with the 2 top class players.
the mental gymnastics and Miss Cleos itt

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
I'd laugh hysterically if they passed on Patrick, Patrick becomes the superstar C they NEVER had, and they draft a lemon d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad