Canucks add Weisbrod to Hockey Ops staff

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I've been pumped about every hire Linden has made...

This ones a head scratcher. Seems no one can come up with 1 positive about Weis. Not 1 gem, not 1 solid draft pick, not 1 later round quality player. Only bad news...

Why?

PZA*

Burke said Weisbrod is a smart guy but didn't talk/see him often after he was hired and didn't have a great relationship with him. I know a lot of people like to **** on Burke but that coming from him is a huge red flag.

arsmaster*

Weisbrod was the Bruins scout and player personnel AGM in Calgary (was behind the Jankowski selection).

He worked for the Bruins between late 2006 to 2011, and 2011 to 2013 for the Flames.

If you look at the Bruins draft between 2007-11 and Flames between 2011-2013:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005090.html

It's absolutely putrid.

2011 and 2012 drafts for the flames aren't putrid.

Baertschi, Wotherspoon, Granlund, Gaudreau and Brossoit is a helluva draft.

4 of these guys have NHL games under their belt in their draft +3 season.

That's an excellent draft. How much weisbrod and/or any assistant GM in the league has to do with that is still up in the air.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gaudreau is a weisbrod guy.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

That's an excellent draft. How much weisbrod and/or any assistant GM in the league has to do with that is still up in the air.

Weisbrod wasn't hired until after the 2011 draft.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Weird hiring.

For those saying not to worry cause he won't likely have much say - why bring in a guy if you don't plan on listening to him? Makes no sense.

Not if they use him as Boston did. Give him a late round pick in the draft, but otherwise stick to UDFA's. He seems to do well trying to find the diamond in the rough types, but as mentioned if give influence on a higher round pick he'll out-think himself most likely.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

That's all great, but 2011 was Tod Button's drafts. Baertschi, Wotherspoon, Granlund, Gaudreau and Brossoit IS an a incredible draft, which would be dandy if Weisbrod wasn't hired three days after the draft occurred. He certainly didn't have a hand in selecting any of them.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

That's all great, but those were Todd Button's drafts.

So the poster I was quoted included a year that didn't belong. Oh well.

One draft and he's a "putrid" eye for talent.

So only Jankowski is a weisbrod pick? But everyone else is button.

I'd prefer more young up and comers in the front office than "old boys" but I'm not gonna crap on this signing. None of us even know what these guys' roles and responsibilities are.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I'd prefer more young up and comers in the front office than "old boys" but I'm not gonna crap on this signing. None of us even know what these guys' roles and responsibilities are.

Sieloff was his pick too I believe.

He was part of the Flames between 2011-13.

My guess is he had the most influence in 2012 as he only arrived in 2011 and was fired in June 2013.

Trading down from a golden spot and picking two rubbish prospects with a mid-late first and a mid-early second is putrid in my eyes.

These are two selections with the highest likelihood to create impact players, and he pretty much threw them down the drain.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

The problem is you have to search high and low to and are unable to find any of his gets but you can find his warts pretty easy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think this is a great hire. I don't know why so many posters here are so concerned. Benning knows Weisbrod. He has had years evaluating Weisbrod's work. I think Benning is smart enough and experienced enough to know whether a scout has an eye for talent. Benning thinks Weisbrod is a talented evaluator who shares similar views on what it takes to build a winning hockey club. Why not trust Benning? For what it's worth, the returns Boston got from the Panthers under Weisbrod's recommendations beats the heck out of the return Eric Crawford got us from Florida. As for Weisbrod's attitude, it actually works out better if he's out scouting because that's a scout's life is often a lonely one.

The guy is obsessed with finding diamonds in the rough to prove how much smarter he is than everyone else.

He saw Jankowski play in December and decided he was going to be the player the Flames drafted. He had complete tunnel vision and because of him we passed over Tervainen, Hertl, and Maatta. Supposedly, Ken King and ownership weren't happy with the 2012 draft and he had his role significantly reduced for the 2013 draft (and Flames ended up doing well with Monahan, Poirier, and Klimchuk in the 1st round).

Let him go find those diamonds in the rough and prove he is smarter than everyone else. As for the Jankowski pick, I am not sure you can classify it as tunnel vision if he firmly believes Jankowski has the potential to be the best player that comes from that draft. As for having his role lessened, even if it's true that was a decision made by nonhockey people right after the draft? Doesn't prove anything. He's seems like a guy who has strong opinions and doesn't mind putting his reputation on the line. I rather he disappear someone only to call Benning sometime and go hey I just saw this kid play and you got to come see him play.

He's not going to be running amateur or pro scouting, so who cares? He'll be another guy in a suit sitting in the skybox with Benning and Gilman.

I hope Weisbrod is used in a scouting capacity. He will be another set of us for Benning.

Burke said Weisbrod is a smart guy but didn't talk/see him often after he was hired and didn't have a great relationship with him. I know a lot of people like to **** on Burke but that coming from him is a huge red flag.

I don't see how that is a huge red flag. Sounds to me like Weisbrod was out there doing his job and didn't get much of a chance to interact with Burke. Should Weisbrod have done a better job communicating with his new boss? Probably. But Burke got fired twice in his career now after new bosses came in too.

arsmaster*

The problem is you have to search high and low to and are unable to find any of his gets but you can find his warts pretty easy.

Todd button also watched Jank too. It's in the article posted two pages back.

I find it hard to believe weisbrod was the only flame staffer to go to bat for this kid.

-----

What's wrong with sieloff? Rubbish?

Anyways this is one move I'm completely indifferent about. It's obviously just benning hiring a buddy of his.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Todd button also watched Jank too. It's in the article posted two pages back.

I find it hard to believe weisbrod was the only flame staffer to go to bat for this kid.

-----

Anyways this is one move I'm completely indifferent about. It's obviously just benning hiring a buddy of his.
tod button prefaced Jank with "a helluva draft" so he gets cut some slack. Nonis had some hits too.

I'm just wary. Benning himself has an obscenely good drafting record, but even so "Hiring a buddy" isn't something you should be indifferent about.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Goalie the Flames picked in the third round of '12 (Jon Gillies?) is tearing up the NCAA. I think it's a bit early to judge Sieloff too, he missed all of last season with injuries and they knew Jankowski was going to be a long-term project but he's not exactly Patrick White, he's making an impact on his team.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Goalie the Flames picked in the third round of '12 (Jon Gillies?) is tearing up the NCAA. I think it's a bit early to judge Sieloff too, he missed all of last season with injuries and they knew Jankowski was going to be a long-term project but he's not exactly Patrick White, he's making an impact on his team.

Those 2nd and 3rd round picks were solid(especially Gillies in the 3rd), Jankowski is just the one pick that stands out.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning himself has an obscenely good drafting record

As Buffalo's head scout, he actually drafted some stinkers in the first round but he seem to have gotten better. His work past the first round is certainly impressive if he played a big part in it.

Last edited:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
So...does anyone know what this guy's actually going to do, or are we just in RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE mode for now?

As near as I can tell, his job is to stay away from the Canucks' table on the first day of the draft. Why he's getting paid to do that is anybody's guess.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

He's a slightly undersized defenseman who had 11 points in 45 games in the OHL after his draft year.

Damon Severson, at 6'2 and scored 37 points in 56 games in his draft year, proceeded to score 52 in 71 the following year. He's also three months younger than Sieloff. And he was picked 18 spots later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad