Canucks add Weisbrod to Hockey Ops staff

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Burke said he fired him because he said he couldn't figure out what he did there? Ouch.

As always, I am not going to be so bold as to pretend I know these guys and what they're all about. We'll see. We have no choice anyway.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
The guy is obsessed with finding diamonds in the rough to prove how much smarter he is than everyone else. Right after he got fired along with Feaster, media in Calgary started murmuring about how he wasn't very highly thought of around the league and other managers disliked the duo's arrogance.

He saw Jankowski play in December and decided he was going to be the player the Flames drafted. He had complete tunnel vision and because of him we passed over Tervainen, Hertl, and Maatta. Supposedly, Ken King and ownership weren't happy with the 2012 draft and he had his role significantly reduced for the 2013 draft (and Flames ended up doing well with Monahan, Poirier, and Klimchuk in the 1st round).

I read Calgary Puck a lot and this pretty much covers it. He was supposedly the guy responsible for their 2012 picks but a lot less is known about how much input he had in 2013. Many think it matters because the consensus is that they drafted poorly in 2012 (mostly reaching for Jankowski) but did much better in 2013 (conventional 1st round picks). Other than Janko, which deserves all the criticism it gets, I'm not sure there is much difference in pick quality past the 1st round. Way, way too early to call anything.

What I don't get is if he's such a "reach for the stars" kind of guy, how is he supposed to mesh with Benning who is pretty conservative with his picks. I guess they're both "eyeball" before stats, advanced or otherwise. But I question Weisbrod's respect for certain fundamentals e.g., Tryamkin can skate, Kanzig can not.:shakehead

Best thing to hope for is that they keep it simple in rounds 1-3 and only then go nuts if they feel they must, but, in any case, Weisbrod should not be let out without supervision.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
This is disturbing.

At the end of the day it was Feaster, being the incompetent GM that he is, took his word and made the pick. I'm hoping Benning is going to be smarter than that. Not that the last few moves he made is giving that indication, but again... hope.

Ventana*

Why are people freaking out about this? He's likely not getting near making picks or making decisions. MAYBE they'll let him take who he wants in round 5-7ish just as a reward for the work he's done. I have no problem with that. That's the part of the draft where you'd like someone like him, who makes the bold pick or takes the most skilled guy.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Another tough day at the office for Weisbrod

tumblr_ml08bqGdaH1s99m4bo1_250.gif

:sarcasm:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
One of the complaints about Weisbrod is that is out of town and not with the team most of the time. I think Burke said that he didn't know where the guy was when he tried to fire him.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's not going to be running amateur or pro scouting, so who cares? He'll be another guy in a suit sitting in the skybox with Benning and Gilman.

I'm more inclined to believe in this

This is bad....very very bad

down with the ship as they say

Rather than this

he's got some job I didn't even know existed until right now. Honestly not too worried about that. If he moves up in the ranks, look out though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not overly stoked. Nothing I've heard about him has been terribly positive, and the whole Jankowski thing reflects very poorly on him.

Would prefer we were bringing new, younger blood and ideas into our management team rather than recycling Calgary's junk.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
LOL, people on this board are too much. No one even knows what this guy is going to do. I don't know how the organization is run in Calgary but VP of Player Personnel has nothing to do with drafting in most cases. It should really read VP of Player Relations.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The Jankowski pick is entirely on Weisbrod, he decided in December we were taking him. Other than that his drafting with the Flames was pretty good. This isn't a disaster for Vancouver.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
red flags all over the place with this guy

not going to make a big deal about it until we get clarity around what his role in the organization actually is, and whether it has any effect on gilman's continued employment

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The Jankowski pick is entirely on Weisbrod, he decided in December we were taking him. Other than that his drafting with the Flames was pretty good. This isn't a disaster for Vancouver.

What other good picks did he make? Or was he on staff for? I liked that he found a couple of decent UDFA's for Boston. I hope Benning doesn't trust him with any higher round selections, clearly Weisbrod seems to try a look for unknown prospects with upside. Best case is to give him a late round pick or just stick with UDFA's from college.

bo2shink*

i assume Jank hasn't already been written off.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

Here's a video of Weisbrod scouting the diamond in the rough, Jankowski:

He's a gold miner. He's looking for gold in them hills, using dowsing rods. His bread-and-butter and interest is in player personnel (using his intuition to bring in a golden personnel). If this isn't his job, it's not in his main interest area.

Won't be a disaster if Weisbrod's not making the final decisions on player personnel (based on the polarity in his body) and if his creative ideas and off-the-board recommendations are strongly debated by Gilman and Benning. Maybe that's how it was in Boston? Feester seems to have been sold the kool-aid snake oil (do you have any ideas or thoughts on how involved Weisbrod was in the O'Reilly offersheet? seems like could have been a creative interpretation of the rules by Weisbrod, to me). Did Weisbrod not stop to think that the league should be consulted with, to make sure that the interpretation was correct? Even if it was Feester's idea, as an advisor, Weisbrod should have thought lets investigate scientifically if this creative idea is actually doable... Just because we think it is, doesn't mean it is... And that's my main problem with Weisbrod. He relies on his dowsing rods and believes that his intuitive recommendation and word is the right thing to the point that no further scientific investigation is necessary. Pseudoscience. One viewing. One palm reading. Jankowski WILL be the best player in the draft, in 10 years. Sure there is still time for Jankowski... but time is ticking... and this is what charleton's do. The prophecy is 10 years. Can't judge him and if he was right or wrong, for 10 years. And then, even if it didn't work out... it was player development, or injury, or both... not because he was wrong.

I guess might not be bad to have a creative idea guy in the mix... Throw away 98% of the ideas, and keep him around for those 2% that can perhaps help generate more than incremental gains, if they succeed. But I'd hope that Gilman, Benning, Linden, Aquilini would see which gold nuggets in personnel and strategy to investigate further, and which to throw away. I'd hope that there are skeptics in the group who believe half of what they see, none of what they hear. I keep hearing how smart Weisbrod is, but what exactly extraordinary has he done? To me, he's just as smart as every other hockey decision-maker I see, and not as smart as others. Where are the extra-special smart results, that it is appropriate to consistently label Weisbrod "smart"?

Not sure what Weisbrod's job title means. But there's enough words in there (VP, player personnel), that make me pause.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
People are riding Weisbrod, other then managing the cap Gilman isn't much better. He crashed and burned in Phoenix and didn't do great with Gillis aside from managing the cap. Also Todd Button sent Weisbrod to watch Jankowski play so I'm pretty sure Button had a lot of say in the matter as well. The Buttons are an interesting bunch Craig ranked Virtanen in the 40s in this draft and Fucale in the top 10 last draft. :shakehead:

I'll judge Weisbrod based on what he does here not what he's done in the past same thing I did with Gilman when he was hired.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
? Flames drafts look fine.

He joined the Flames after the 2011 draft, the 2013 draft shouldn't count as he apparently had little say. Basically only 2012. Jankowski picks looks bad so far, but the Sieloff and Gillies picks look just fine. As mentioned in this thread, he found Bartowski for Boston as a UDFA.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Sieloff is a terrible pick. He's an undersized (6'0) defender who put up 6 points in 60 games in the USHL prior to being drafted. His draft year +1 was played in the OHL, where he put up 11 points in 45 games played.

Those are awful junior numbers, and considering he's picked way ahead of other available defenders like Severson, who put up 52 points as a defender in his draft year, has 2 inches on Sieloff and is a few months younger, it's a **** pick.

Jankowski I don't even need to talk about. Just a brutal decision that really set the Flames franchise back.

Any one of Girgensons, Hertl, Teravainen, Maatta or even Laughton would shortened their rebuild significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad