Canucks add Weisbrod to Hockey Ops staff

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Weisbrod didn't pick Shinkaruk so in a way he's already been working for us.

IIRC Weisbrod's role in the 2013 draft was diminished after the cluster**** of 2012 so that was probably more Tod Button's doing.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
I don't think it's that people don't like the negativity, it's just a hilarious amount of panic based on conjecture about his role in another organization.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
care to post a link?

hes part of the team that offer sheeted ryan o'reilly with the 6th OA when the only two possible outcomes of the offer sheet were A: o'reilly goes on waivers and B: nothing happens

All the while being happy that Gilman is still here.

gilman didn't ignore the rules to do a thing that could have had a massively damaging impact for zero gain, and instead, read them

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
It's rumoured that he was the one that made the call on the Jankowski pick.

Rumoured? He literally said in a 2012 draft video on calgaryflames.com that if Jankowski didn't pan out, it's on him.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I don't think it's that people don't like the negativity, it's just a hilarious amount of panic based on conjecture about his role in another organization.

its not panic, its criticism. do you not understand the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
hes part of the team that offer sheeted ryan o'reilly with the 6th OA when the only two possible outcomes of the offer sheet were A: o'reilly goes on waivers and B: nothing happens

Jay Feaster was the captain of that ship though, so he has the final say on anything. do you think Benning is as dumb as Feaster?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I just don't really see the point in hiring him. He doesn't have the sort of resume that screams we need to hire this guy.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Jay Feaster was the captain of that ship though, so he has the final say on anything. do you think Benning is as dumb as Feaster?

after this hire im more inclined to believe that he is. it's not really even relevant - your ability doesnt excuse surrounding yourself with incompetents

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I just don't really see the point in hiring him. He doesn't have the sort of resume that screams we need to hire this guy.
Director of Collegiate Scouting for the Bruins when Benning worked there, so clearly the two have a good working relationship.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Last edited by a moderator:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Weisbrod didn't pick Shinkaruk so in a way he's already been working for us.

Imagine if Benning asked Weisbrod about Shinkaruk and said we should probably trade him for a pick or something. I would be so pissed off. I knew this guy was bad news cause I heard of his past.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
meh, don't care either way. Not my money (Aquaman's). Let Linden hire all the VP's he thinks he needs.

(hey, one does need a "reverse barometer" right?)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I just don't really understand what the point is in hiring this guy. What is the intended purpose of this hire?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Rumoured? He literally said in a 2012 draft video on calgaryflames.com that if Jankowski didn't pan out, it's on him.

Just to put it out there, but it'll still be a few years until we can judge whether Jankowski has panned out. He was a project at the time, and he's progressing. Silly pick, but he could still develop into a very good player.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
For direct context: Weisbrod was the Bruins' scout for the NE collegiate pool '08-'11. The B's drafted 5 players during that span, none higher than the 5th round. Most successful pick: Justin Florek from Northern Michigan University, 4GP, 1G, 1A, 2P last year along with a 38pt (69GP) campaign in the AHL.

Sounds like a guy who knows his way around boardroom politics. Benning sees him as a good sounding board, but won't trust him with a high pick?

bo2shink*

Just to put it out there, but it'll still be a few years until we can judge whether Jankowski has panned out. He was a project at the time, and he's progressing. Silly pick, but he could still develop into a very good player.

Certainly seemed like time to trade down a bit and still get your guy.

But on the bright side, if Jank works out Weisbrad may prove something and if he totally busts we can thanks our VP for keeping the Flames down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad