Confirmed with Link: Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Many were impressed about Dorsett during the playoffs. He skates well, hits, forechecks, and fights. Overall he is a very feisty guy. I think Dorsett is a pro-typical 4th line player. Glass isn't close to as effective. I think overpaid a little, I would be completely okay with a 4th. Would not be surprised if Dorsett becomes a fan favourite.

Sure, he was decent in the playoffs as an energy guy but I think you are overstating how "good" he might be over a guy like Glass...they are both plugs...the difference between one and the other is negligible.

Is it out of the realm of possibility Dorsett plays a good first half for the Canucks and then is traded at the deadline to a contending team looking to overpay for more reliable depth?

Sure, if we're lucky we could get a 4th or 5th rounder back.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
So he "won" the trade... but he made his team worse. 10 minutes of even strength ice-time is significant. Lets say we sign Dorsett… isn't it worth a 3rd round pick and 200k per season to have a much better player playing those 10 minutes a game for 3 seasons? I think it is. Glass sucks.
Yeah, Glass had the worst Corsi Rel (how his Corsi ranks compared to his teammates) in the entire NHL last season.

John Bender*

Yeah was never a glass fan. I think vancouver fans will love double d.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Is it out of the realm of possibility Dorsett plays a good first half for the Canucks and then is traded at the deadline to a contending team looking to overpay for more reliable depth?
I think the best case scenario for that overpayment at the deadline would be a third rounder, though :laugh:

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
I think the best case scenario for that overpayment at the deadline would be a third rounder, though :laugh:

Yea I was thinking that would likely be the best return for Dorsett alone as well.

What are the chances at a 2nd rounder if he was part of a small package?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
A team isn't going to win or loss games (I'm talking the season in general) on the basis of a 4th line winger.

That's way off base imo. QoT is important to success for every player on that line and the depth is important to the players playing above.

Teams don't win or lose games based on the 20% chance a 3rd rounder makes it to the league. That's truth.

Glass is a beauty.

He is a beauty… he's just not a great hockey player.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On a competing year, I would love the move, but on a year where we expect to miss the playoffs/not go far in the playoffs, trading a 3rd for a guy who merely fills out/improves your 4th line is a total waste, IMO, because guys like that help you most in the playoffs.

Unless he's a part of our long term plans, then I'm okay with it, but it's kind of weird to pick him up so early

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah was never a glass fan. I think vancouver fans will love double d.

There is no comparable between Derek and Tanner. Derek is a much better fighter and hockey player than Tanner...at least IMO. I liked Tanner, but Derek is an upgrade in that category. I don't like your goon vs. our goon fights but if Derek can fill Sestito's role and play better hockey than him, I'll be pleased.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
D.D will definitely be a shot of adrenaline from the 4th line. I have no doubts he'll do a better job on the 4th line than Glass, Sestito, and even Weise. Barring injury ofc.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
The team needs a feisty player. An uptempo crap-disturber. If Dorsett can do this while pushing Sestito to the bench, we are a better team. The speed of the 4th line will be greatly enhanced. He can PK too? Even better.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looking at Dorsett's earlier career in Columbus, he's got some 3rd line numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if he peaks as a 3rd line guy if used properly. He may have a Torres-like effect for the team.

And he's only 27.

Dorsett is a guy who you don't really want in your top-9, but if he has to play a few games there on the 3rd line it's not going to be a disaster. He's also exactly the sort of player you do want on your 4th line. Physical "character guy" role player, "team first" guy who will drop the gloves if needed...who can actually skate and play some hockey.

Dorsett as a 3rd line fixture would be a bit like Higgins as a 2nd line fixture. It probably means your team lacks depth and it's going to be a "weakness" for your team, but it's plenty "serviceable" for a stint here and there.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
There is no comparable between Derek and Tanner. Derek is a much better fighter and hockey player than Tanner...at least IMO. I liked Tanner, but Derek is an upgrade in that category. I don't like your goon vs. our goon fights but if Derek can fill Sestito's role and play better hockey than him, I'll be pleased.
Whoa whoa whoa, why doesn't Tom get first-name treatment like the other guys?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
That's way off base imo. QoT is important to success for every player on that line and the depth is important to the players playing above.
I don't think so. We had some bad 4th lines during our seasons when we were winning a ton of games in the regular season (more as a result of then decent 4th liners like Glass being asked to play further up the lineup).

Yes, having a solid 4th line helps; but there are bigger problems on this club right now that needed to be addressed first.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, Glass had the worst Corsi Rel (how his Corsi ranks compared to his teammates) in the entire NHL last season.

This is what happens when most of your teammates play large chunks of the season with Crosby and Malkin and you don't. Completely useless/pointless stat.

Dorsett is basically a better-fighting, more agitate-y Tanner Glass. And that's not the worst thing in the world - the criticism that Glass took here was absolutely ridiculous as he was a fine 4th line player for us.

I don't love this trade and don't think it represents good value either from an asset or salary perspective, but understand the need for a new GM/coach to get players they like to build the sort of team they want. Fair enough.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't think so. We had some bad 4th lines during our seasons when we were winning a ton of games in the regular season (more as a result of then decent 4th liners like Glass being asked to play further up the lineup).

We were lucky that Henrik Sedin went on an incredible run of play and health. That luck looks like it has run out.

The 2011 playoff team had Higgins and Lappierre added to the 4th line at the deadline. Good thing.

Yes, having a solid 4th line helps; but there are bigger problems on this club right now that needed to be addressed first.

How does this in any way prevent the team from addressing those problems? Could any of them have been solved with a 3rd round pick?

Daniel and Henrik are likely to play 14-15 minutes a game at even strength this season. I can't understand why investing a 3rd round pick and some cap space in a guy they want to play 10 minutes at even strength is too much for people. We're going to get good "value" if he plays well.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The 2011 playoff team had Higgins and Lappierre added to the 4th line at the deadline. Good thing.

Lappy is a center not a winger. Higgins? He was a 3rd line winger that year with the Canucks (and near as I can remember, was generally always a 2nd/3rd line winger in his career up to that point).

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Lappy is a center not a winger. Higgins? He was a 3rd line winger that year with the Canucks (and near as I can remember, was generally always a 2nd/3rd line winger in his career up to that point).

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Raymond/Kesler/Samuelsson
Torres/Malhotra/Hansen

That puts one of those guys on the 4th line then.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Daniel and Henrik are likely to play 14-15 minutes a game at even strength this season. I can't understand why investing a 3rd round pick and some cap space in a guy they want to play 10 minutes at even strength is too much for people. We're going to get good "value" if he plays well.

If they play well (back to PPG players), I don't think it matter too much (regular season anyway) who we have on the 4th line (as winger). If they regress; I'll feel the same.

As I've said before, I don't like the trade but I'm not going to get too worked up over it.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
If they play well (back to PPG players), I don't think it matter too much (regular season anyway) who we have on the 4th line (as winger). If they regress; I'll feel the same.

Having a line or two that can't score or defend makes it a lot tougher on the twins. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't think those minutes are important. Agree to disagree.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Having a line or two that can't score or defend makes it a lot tougher on the twins. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't think those minutes are important. Agree to disagree.
Good thing Benning addressed that problem by getting a proven NHL center that can handle those "tough minutes".:naughty:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't love this trade and don't think it represents good value either from an asset or salary perspective, but understand the need for a new GM/coach to get players they like to build the sort of team they want. Fair enough.

That's my issues with a handful of Benning moves thus far. I understand the need for an incoming GM to bring in "his" guys even if we don't feel they are tangibly better than the old guys. It's something every GM does. But I'm not sure I see the value asset wise or salary wise and not sure I understand the rush decision and lack of value received in moving bodies out.

In the end I do not believe the team is better on paper than what it ended the year at, which isn't comforting when I evaluate the new regime. I also don't believe tanking is a wise thing to do. Then again I'm also one of the misguided that believes the teams for the last 30-40 games massively underperformed and that won't happen again. We wait and see the results....does the coaching change, bounce back overcompensate for what I believe is the loss in quality on the roster.

Quite honestly, the play of Miller will either make Benning a genius or idiot. If Miller supplies his last 8 year average to below average starter quality of work it's going to be a long long year. Dorsett doesn't make or break the team any which way. Neither does Sestito or any other 4th line player in the league. Unless that 4th line player is someone like Kuznetsov or some other high potential youngster.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
On a competing year, I would love the move, but on a year where we expect to miss the playoffs/not go far in the playoffs, trading a 3rd for a guy who merely fills out/improves your 4th line is a total waste, IMO, because guys like that help you most in the playoffs.

Unless he's a part of our long term plans, then I'm okay with it, but it's kind of weird to pick him up so early

Meh, if we're going to be a bubble team this year, i like the idea of having an agitator/fighter who can play good 4th line minutes.

Im surprised people are complaining about this considering we basically haven't had a 4th line in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: