Confirmed with Link: Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
Whenever I hear Dorsett's name, I still always think of this:

edlerbreakdown3.jpg

edlerbreakdown5.jpg

:laugh: the red writing, the overexaggeration, and then Dorsett's expression is just gold.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
those bashing this trade need to go ask the Rangers in about 8 months if they'd still accept a 3rd for Dorsett, with Glass @ 1.45 being his replacement. Im going to say its a resounding NO.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
those bashing this trade need to go ask the Rangers in about 8 months if they'd still accept a 3rd for Dorsett, with Glass @ 1.45 being his replacement. Im going to say its a resounding NO.

You make a good point.
All the more reason it would've been a great move if he cost a 4th

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm not betting that it is... Benning is. I don't even pretend to know them very well as players, never mind what kind of people they are. I'm cautiously optimistic because I think you can also make a "possession" argument for all of Linben's moves. I'm not scared of them talking about things like "character" because I still believe in those things. So I'm left hoping that maybe the "scout" actually has an eye for talent and knows how to put a team together.

I hope so as well...like I said, I don't dislike Dorsett I just dislike the cost to acquire him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

1. LOL Glass, should have gotten Winnik. 65-70 pick and Winnik = win.

2. NYR have aspirations of competing for the cup, so losing a player is more a hit to them than us.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
We still made 7 picks over all, including 3 in the first 36, so it's not like Benning was "pissing" picks away. Part of the problem is that people over emphasise the boom potential for mid round picks, but the pick is much more likely to bust.

Benning traded potential unlikely to be achieved for a low ceiling guarantee that fits Benning/Linden's ideal of a team, while still having a full contingent of draft picks. Even if it is a slight over payment, sometimes it's worth "over paying [according to Internets value]" to get the guy you want, rather than being satisfied with whatever scraps are left over.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
One thing why i like Dorse, is his ability usually to draw more penalties than he takes. Last season Dorsett's Pens Drawn/60 was 1.4 and his Pens Taken/60 was 1.3. There was a small difference, but in playoffs his numbers were Drawn/60 2.3, Taken/60 0.8.

Let's see bigger picture:

2012-13: Pens Drawn/60 1.7, Pens Taken/60 1.1,
2011-12: Pens Drawn/60 1.2, Pens Taken/60 1.6,
2010-11: Pens Drawn/60 1.5, Pens Taken/60 1.1.

Compare them to Sestito's last season numbers:

2013-14: Pens Drawn/60 0.1, Pens Taken/60 2.2

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
One thing why i like Dorse, is his ability usually to draw more penalties than he takes. Last season Dorsett's Pens Drawn/60 was 1.4 and his Pens Taken/60 was 1.3. There was a small difference, but in playoffs his numbers were Drawn/60 2.3, Taken/60 0.8.

Let's see bigger picture:

2012-13: Pens Drawn/60 1.7, Pens Taken/60 1.1,
2011-12: Pens Drawn/60 1.2, Pens Taken/60 1.6,
2010-11: Pens Drawn/60 1.5, Pens Taken/60 1.1.

Compare them to Sestito's last season numbers:

2013-14: Pens Drawn/60 0.1, Pens Taken/60 2.2
That doesn't take account of the "uniform factor".;)

(see the crap the Sedin's take where pukes like Sutherland just look the other way).

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Looking at Dorsett's earlier career in Columbus, he's got some 3rd line numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if he peaks as a 3rd line guy if used properly. He may have a Torres-like effect for the team.

And he's only 27.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Looking at Dorsett's earlier career in Columbus, he's got some 3rd line numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if he peaks as a 3rd line guy if used properly. He may have a Torres-like effect for the team.

And he's only 27.
Dorsett is the kind of player you hope a late third-round pick develops into.
Not sure why folks are thinking Rangers were going to fork him over for a 4th pick?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Not sure why folks are thinking Rangers were going to fork him over for a 4th pick?

This makes sense to me, though I won't be judging the trade till after I've seen Dorsett play with the Canucks.

In defending trading a pick for a player, the argument is often made that, roughly, the player picked is already a proven NHLer, whereas the pick given up (second, third, fourth, whatever) is statistically unlikely to reach that level. It's a sound argument. But the player acquired is very unlikely to become more than what he is. Dorsett isn't going to blossom suddenly into an effective second line winger. A third round draft pick has a slim chance of becoming that, and the more mid-round picks a team keeps, the greater the chances that they'll get lucky with one of them.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
This makes sense to me, though I won't be judging the trade till after I've seen Dorsett play with the Canucks.

In defending trading a pick for a player, the argument is often made that, roughly, the player picked is already a proven NHLer, whereas the pick given up (second, third, fourth, whatever) is statistically unlikely to reach that level. It's a sound argument. But the player acquired is very unlikely to become more than what he is. Dorsett isn't going to blossom suddenly into an effective second line winger. A third round draft pick has a slim chance of becoming that, and the more mid-round picks a team keeps, the greater the chances that they'll get lucky with one of them.

I don't think anyone expects him to be a top 6 forward, but a regular 3rd line RW isn't out of the question.

For reference, Hansen's best year was in 2011/12 where he registered 16 goals.
That same year for Dorsett? 12 goals.

Where it really seperates is Hansen has a crapload more assists with 15, but let's not discount the fact Hansen also played on the deepest Canuck team in history, where Dorsett was stuck on a bottom 5 team in Columbus.

So the goal output is what's fascinating because he has shown he can put the puck in the net and he isn't far from the Torres/Hansen goal output. I wouldn't be surprised if during the season we see:

Higgins - Vey - Dorsett

just to shuffle things

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Because the Rangers were looking to dump salary and Dorsett is a 4th liner...a 3rd rounder is FAR too pricey for a 4th liner you can find via free agency, especially for one his former team is looking to off-load.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Because the Rangers were looking to dump salary and Dorsett is a 4th liner...a 3rd rounder is FAR too pricey for a 4th liner you can find via free agency, especially for one his former team is looking to off-load.

Why do you say that? They replaced Dorsett with a far inferior player in Glass for almost the same money. I don't think Sather wanted to trade Dorsett at all, which is why they had to overpay to get him.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Why do you say that? They replaced Dorsett with a far inferior player in Glass for almost the same money. I don't think Sather wanted to trade Dorsett at all, which is why they had to overpay to get him.

Sather isn't exactly known for signing free agents at a reasonable salary. He's far better in trades as far as GM'ing goes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

That's pretty damning for both GMs if true.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

They saved almost $200k on another 4th liner who serves the same purpose. I think Sather was pretty smart and Benning pretty dumb in this instance...Sather got a 3rd rounder, Glass and about $200k in cap space...I'd prefer if we had just signed Glass ourselves and kept the 3rd rounder.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sather isn't exactly known for signing free agents at a reasonable salary. He's far better in trades as far as GM'ing goes.

So he "won" the trade... but he made his team worse. 10 minutes of even strength ice-time is significant. Lets say we sign Dorsett… isn't it worth a 3rd round pick and 200k per season to have a much better player playing those 10 minutes a game for 3 seasons? I think it is. Glass sucks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Or we could have kept our pick and signed Winnik or Santorelli instead. No guarantee that we would have been able to sign Winnik but I think it's pretty safe to say that we could have kept Santorelli.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
They saved almost $200k on another 4th liner who serves the same purpose. I think Sather was pretty smart and Benning pretty dumb in this instance...Sather got a 3rd rounder, Glass and about $200k in cap space...I'd prefer if we had just signed Glass ourselves and kept the 3rd rounder.

Many were impressed about Dorsett during the playoffs. He skates well, hits, forechecks, and fights. Overall he is a very feisty guy. I think Dorsett is a pro-typical 4th line player. Glass isn't close to as effective. I think overpaid a little, I would be completely okay with a 4th. Would not be surprised if Dorsett becomes a fan favourite.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Or we could have kept our pick and signed Winnik or Santorelli instead. No guarantee that we would have been able to sign Winnik but I think it's pretty safe to say that we could have kept Santorelli.

Yes but we wanted to get Santorelli on 1yr. He didn't want it. The other problem is that we have a bunch of young players that we want to play in the role Santorelli would have played. The more I think about it if we signed Santorelli long term it would hurt the development of players like Horvat, Vey, Gaunce, and Fox. All these guys need top 9 ice time within the next 1-3 years, I don't see that working well unless Santorelli became a legitimate top 6 forward. This is why we didn't want to sign him long term, because we don't want him in bottom 6.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
So he "won" the trade... but he made his team worse. 10 minutes of even strength ice-time is significant. Lets say we sign Dorsett… isn't it worth a 3rd round pick and 200k per season to have a much better player playing those 10 minutes a game for 3 seasons? I think it is. Glass sucks.
A team isn't going to win or loss games (I'm talking the season in general) on the basis of a 4th line winger.

As for Glass, I have no idea how he is now (haven't really followed his career since he was a Canuck).

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Is it out of the realm of possibility Dorsett plays a good first half for the Canucks and then is traded at the deadline to a contending team looking to overpay for more reliable depth?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad