Post-Game Talk: Canucks 7, Senators 1: It's a Flat Stanley hat-trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
That's how you earn the over!

Great job by the Vancouver Sutter's tonight.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
:laugh:

Man, any time the Canucks have to lose the battle to win the war, you can always be sure they dig deep and find the fortitude to TOTALLY f***ING CRUSH that battle. "Are the press and casual fans finally souring on Benning? Is he finally going to face serious internal pressure from Aqualini if they lose again? HAHA, NO! Big win against Ottawa! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Benning's gonna run this team until he flops down dead from old age, isn't he. FML.

Anyway, the game itself.

--Mostly what I take away from it is Ottawa is terribad. Like, are you guys even using a puck or a tennis ball spray-bombed black? Looked like a bunch of teenagers trying to figure out how to make and receive passes most of the time. Murray is awful. At the beginning of the 2nd, I heard that Gudbranson was their TOI leader in the first period. It's like someone doing business with Trump and being amazed when he stiffs them on the bill. There's a huge sample size going back forever...and somehow people keep on thinking something different is going to happen. How many times do you have to see a movie before the ending stops being a surprise?

--Sutter with the hatty. You couldn't make this up if you tried. Watch, Granlund will come back from the KHL tomorrow and notch a five-point game on the Pettersson line.

--Juolevi with his first goal, yay for the kid. Looking better, but still hopeless in his own end a lot of the time. Still, he's improving, and he might not be a complete write-off. Money on the ground at this point.

--Better night from the bottom six. Can't say I miss Gaudette. I take McEwen in the lineup over him 10 times out of 10 and don't look back.

--Virtanen's useless.

--Rough night for the top line again. Frustration's really starting to mount.

--Bad team beat really, really bad team. If the Canucks were flopped down in the gutter, they could still look down and see the Sens gazing up at them in doe-eyed admiration. How the hell do the Sens win *any* games this season?

Reactions: Indiana

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
And Quinn Hughes is tied for the lead in league scoring for D-men. And that's with him playing like ASS for 5 of the 8 games we've played. What a player. Even when he's not at the top of his game, he's at the top of the league, and only in his second season.

Don’t let the points fool you, Pettersson passed it to Hughes who passed it to Boeser/Miller who fed it to Horvat for the one timer. Swap Petey and Hughes and that’s 4 secondary assists going the other way. Hughes is a minus away from being league worst, he’s been abysmal 5 on 5.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don’t let the points fool you, Pettersson passed it to Hughes who passed it to Boeser/Miller who fed it to Horvat for the one timer. Swap Petey and Hughes and that’s 4 secondary assists going the other way. Hughes is a minus away from being league worst, he’s been abysmal 5 on 5.
The fact is Hughes is a point producing phenom, and is the best at it in the league, and he’s ours. Even playing his absolute worst, he’s the best point producing d man in the league. Thank God we have this player. We really only have Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Bo. The rest should all be tradable. (I’d not trade Bone, Hogs, or Pods).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This Sutter start is kind of hilarious but unfortunately with a compressed schedule you just know it is going to flame out dramatically with some sort of soft-tissue injury.

Much needed game for Demko. Would be nice if he could string some good performances together here and maybe grab a bit higher % of the net going forward.

Loved the Hoglander hustle on the assist.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
2 things seem to be clear from that game:

1- we are better than a rebuilding Ottawa team

2- Matt Murray is terrible - like god awful terrible

And something debatable:
My opinion on Juloevi is pretty clear but the fact that he hasn’t looked like trash and even ok away from myers raises the question is Myers our worst dman? Our new 6 million guds

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I fell asleep at 2-1....woke up to see a 7-1 victory and a Sutter hat trick. Nice win but there was still plenty to be concenred about moving forward. They gave the Sens some damn good chances in the 30 or so minutes I watched.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The scene after the victory in the dressing room.

Green - Great game, everyone, and great game, Sutsy!

Everyone - (cheers)

Miller - Who was running the pool on the first one to get a hattie this year?

Pettersson - I was. Just one second...

Muffled sounds from outside the dressing room - it sounds like feet crashing down a staircase.

Pettersson - Just looking through the list...I think...

More noise from outside the dressing room - huffing and puffing as someone runs down the hall as fast as they can.

Boeser - Can the suspense, Petey, who had Sutsy in the pool?

Benning (from outside the room) - WAIT!

The door crashes open and Benning comes running into the room, holding a piece of paper in his hand high above his head.

Benning - (out of breath) I...had...Sutter...scoring first hat trick...pool...

Green - ...did you just run here from the manager's box?

Pettersson walks over and plucks the piece of paper out of Benning's hand, scans it, and nods.

Pettersson - He's right. He picked Sutsy for the first hattie.

Everyone - cheers.

Pettersson - Wait a minute...hold the phone.

Benning looks uncomfortable. The tension mounts. Everyone is watching Pettersson.

Pettersson - Jim, the date on this note is October 6, 2015?

Benning - So?

Horvat - I mean...it's six years later, boss...

Benning - I held on to that note for 6 years! Since before Sutter played his first game! Surely that's worth...something? That's a good...what's the word...foundational argument, isn't it?

Everyone - groans.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
-Mostly what I take away from it is Ottawa is terribad. Like, are you guys even using a puck or a tennis ball spray-bombed black? Looked like a bunch of teenagers trying to figure out how to make and receive passes most of the time. Murray is awful. At the beginning of the 2nd, I heard that Gudbranson was their TOI leader in the first period. It's like someone doing business with Trump and being amazed when he stiffs them on the bill. There's a huge sample size going back forever...and somehow people keep on thinking something different is going to happen. How many times do you have to see a movie before the ending stops being a surprise?

I don't take last night as some great sign for the Canucks - it was two points against a team they should beat. But you aren't giving Ottawa enough credit - they've been in pretty much every game this season until last night. Last night was honestly about Murray - he was a total sieve.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
I don't get some of these comments about Juolevi... Yes he looks young, and slightly nervous but I think he is far from a train wreck in his own end in my opinion.. he reads the play in the d-zone fairly well and breaks up plays... he does want to chip it out right now fairly quickly instead of taking time to make a play but that will come with confidence... I think he is progressing decently in the pretty small sample size..

Reactions: ChilliBilly

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't get some of these comments about Juolevi... Yes he looks young, and slightly nervous but I think he is far from a train wreck in his own end in my opinion.. he reads the play in the d-zone fairly well and breaks up plays... he does want to chip it out right now fairly quickly instead of taking time to make a play but that will come with confidence... I think he is progressing decently in the pretty small sample size..

I mean he’s still making a bunch of mistakes but I’ve raised him from never playing in the nhl to 5/6/7 dman

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The scene after the victory in the dressing room.

Green - Great game, everyone, and great game, Sutsy!

Everyone - (cheers)

Miller - Who was running the pool on the first one to get a hattie this year?

Pettersson - I was. Just one second...

Muffled sounds from outside the dressing room - it sounds like feet crashing down a staircase.

Pettersson - Just looking through the list...I think...

More noise from outside the dressing room - huffing and puffing as someone runs down the hall as fast as they can.

Boeser - Can the suspense, Petey, who had Sutsy in the pool?

Benning (from outside the room) - WAIT!

The door crashes open and Benning comes running into the room, holding a piece of paper in his hand high above his head.

Benning - (out of breath) I...had...Sutter...scoring first hat trick...pool...

Green - ...did you just run here from the manager's box?

Pettersson walks over and plucks the piece of paper out of Benning's hand, scans it, and nods.

Pettersson - He's right. He picked Sutsy for the first hattie.

Everyone - cheers.

Pettersson - Wait a minute...hold the phone.

Benning looks uncomfortable. The tension mounts. Everyone is watching Pettersson.

Pettersson - Jim, the date on this note is October 6, 2015?

Benning - So?

Horvat - I mean...it's six years later, boss...

Benning - I held on to that note for 6 years! Since before Sutter played his first game! Surely that's worth...something? That's a good...what's the word...foundational argument, isn't it?

Everyone - groans.
Nice work Mr C

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

He hasn't been a trainwreck by any stretch. But I think he has had moments where he's been burned and he looks green. In a nutshell - like a lot of rookies that enter the league. I think he's shown some promise in addition to the warts. As xtra says, it looks like he could be an NHL regular at some point, which was something that seemed dubious not too long ago.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I think we should consider a big lines shakeup to try and get Petey going. That top line was awful. Give him a few motors to see if we can jump start something.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Motte
Pearson - Horvat - Boeser
Miller - Sutter - Virtanen
Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He hasn't been a trainwreck by any stretch. But I think he has had moments where he's been burned and he looks green. In a nutshell - like a lot of rookies that enter the league. I think he's shown some promise in addition to the warts. As xtra says, it looks like he could be an NHL regular at some point, which was something that seemed dubious not too long ago.

tenor.gif

Reactions: supercanuck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
And something debatable:
My opinion on Juloevi is pretty clear but the fact that he hasn’t looked like trash and even ok away from myers raises the question is Myers our worst dman? Our new 6 million guds

Myers is like all of Benning's other free agent signings. They would be ok if they played much farther down the lineup (in some cases the AHL), paid much less, and for far fewer years.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Obviously a lot early but the Canuck finish the season with 4 consecutive games with a Ottawa then ends with one against Toronto.

Those games could be massive.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You always like to see scoring throughout your lineup..Last night, all but one goal were scored by the bottom 6 and the D, this is great to see, but at the end of the day, the top 6 (our best players) have to pull through.

It looked like the Canucks were playing with a bit more structure, and cut down on the giveaways (or in the Montreal series..outright gifts)

Demko was looking good last night (positionally sound), and had a calming presence..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
so far i have not noticed juolevi defensively as much as i expected. that's a compliment.

He (or he and Myers together) had a couple HUGE breakdowns in the first 40 minutes leading to breakaways and wide-open chances.

I did think he played a very good 3rd period and that that was the best he's looked in the NHL so far.

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Damn Juolevi riding the pine. Suprised Green isn't going back to the same lineup

not that Joulevi was all world, but he plays okay and scores a goal and STILL sits?

if anyone tells me Green plays rookies/young players fairly go f*** them selves.

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Damn Juolevi riding the pine. Suprised Green isn't going back to the same lineup

Probably see Juolevi and Chatfield alternating...I liked what Chatfield brought to the team, even though it was a small sample size...Would be cool to see Rathbone get a game in as well...Good on the Canucks for developing their own.

The more the merrier, when the inevitable injuries on D do hit..There will be guys ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad