2nd Period
05:59NJDJohn MacLean (3)Brendan Shanahan, Patrik Sundstrom
12:56VANRich Sutter (3)Tony Tanti
3rd Period
12:31VANRich Sutter (4)Tony Tanti, Brian Bradley
19:44NJDAaron Broten (2)David Maley, Brendan Shanahan
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils Box Score — October 20, 1989 | Hockey-Reference.com

sadly no video from that game on youtube, but i did find this beauty

praise internets

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

I’d asked @Mr. Canucklehead if I could do today’s GDT, but I thought I should put this out to the group in case another Member or Moderator like @Zombotron has Wednesday’s Game in mind.

I want to be respectful as opposed to blocking others from getting the opportunity.
9D162A3A-18F6-409B-B418-24C18BEF9287.gif

So if it’s better to rotate them, no worries, I’ll pick up another one down the line. But if it’s open, I’ll be happy to do it again.
4A02D575-7D83-4AFE-A1F0-CA6F48A85CAC.gif

Thank you in advance.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
You can't make this up

7-1 win
Pettersson -1
Miller -1
Boeser -1

the only minus players.
How the hell does that happen.
and yes they still look terrible and the numbers show it.

Time to break up this line.

Miller-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Pettersson-Hoglander

2nd line is playing really well, but we need to get Pettersson going. Petey play’s better with a more structured slower pace, where he’s not skating at full speed and has time to analyze and break down defences with elite passing and stick handling (he lit it up with Goldobin and Eriksson as his wingers).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Give the team credit for taking advantage of terrible goal-tending. It's not their fault that Murray was a complete sieve. How in the world did he back stop the Pens to Stanley Cups??? Nice that the team could get laughter and maybe this can jump start something.

Good

Sutter - even before the goals started going in, he was showing well. Crucial on the PK and in carrying his line mates. The shot on the his second goal was just outstanding. Green must keep him as the third line center and forget the Gaudette experiment. The problem, of course, is how long can Sutter remain healthy. Really that is the key point with Sutter. As long as he's not hurt Sutter is a legit NHL player but, if the past is any indication, his groin and such can't stand up to the punishment he takes.

Motte - when the game was on the line Motte was excellent. Right now is starting to build on the great play of late last season. 5 0n 5 and on the PK he was very good.

Hoglander - the more you see the more you like. One of the most surprising elements of his game is his ability to maintain possession under pressure. You want to pinch yourself but right now looks like he will be a dynamic NHL player. Totally outplayed Stutzle who was frankly awful in this game and does not appear to be at all NHL ready. Just stupid giving Joulevi the 3rd star over Hoglander

Beagle - when he is skating like he was in this game can be an effective player. Zero offense but good on forecheck and on PK

Hughes - thought it was his best game so far. Got some space to use his speed and pushed the play through the neutral zone. Not perfect in his own end but more effective than of late. Did better when he got a little less ice time. Like how he was kibitzing with Thachuk.

Demko - still not looking that comfortable and stick handling was poor at times but made some great side to side stays and prevented Ottawa from getting back in the game. Would say, in this game ,our goalie did a better job of bailing out the defense

Bad

Virtanen - contributed nothing. Again baggage.

Miller - can see he is fighting to keep in the flow. Missing time b/c of the covid situation has put him behind and playing scrambly hockey. Got by in first game but then conditioning caught up to him. Needs to get up to game speed. Taking bad penalties and puck movement is not good - one of the problems on the PP.

Pettersson - very little accomplished. Getting caught standing still too much and also starting to cheat and guess to get offensive chances (such as trying to cut behind the opponents net to pick off d to d passes and taking himself out of the play). Amazing the team could do so well with Pettersson playing like he is.

Others

Myers - mix of good and bad plays. Likely getting more responsibility than he can handle but probably an over all positive in this game

Benn - not bad. took players off the rush much better than many of our d-men have done this year. Firmly in the top 6 on this team.

Joulevi - nice that he could score but honestly the goal was a bit of a whiff by Murray. Also, he was getting a little more pressure on the puck in his end. However, he's still not giving himself space to make plays as illustrated by how he was just throwing the puck up the boards when pressured or trying to shuffle the puck around to his defensive partner.. Also still backing way too much off on rushes against. Must improve his ability to handle and break up plays at his blueline. The question will be - how much seasoning can the Canucks give him at the NHL level and still live with his faults??? He needs more time but with a need to win now you wonder how much game time they can give him. You could see how young he is after scoring his goal when he almost looked embarrassed.

Edler - got a better in the third but he was often too slow in making the plays. Can no longer effectively join the rush and often pushed into mistake in his end. At one point I think you could say Edler was upper tier NHL d-man. Now he is certainly not much more than a middling journeyman who, you hope, can be decent in his end.

Horvat - thought it was one of his weaker game. Way Hoglander was buzzing, Horvat could have done better to take advantage of openings created. One of the those games where Horvat was lugging in his skating. In the end though, Horvat is tied for the lead in League scoring so any criticism has to be very much muted..

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
It's bitter sweet because of a poor showing from the 1st line. I don't understand Virtanen at all... you have like a 10% chance that he will have a decent game.

2 points at the end of the day though and thats what matters.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Glad AG96 is out of the lineup. Probably no more useless 3rd line player. Doesn’t hit and is a nightmare defensively. Don’t mike ZackMac in that spot instead.

Reactions: Dab and Zippgunn

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
A tad off topic but the stadium with no fans looks horrible. I think they should tarp off the entire bottom row.

I mean if Kanye west can get a hologram of Kim Kardashians deceased father talking, can’t they do something with virtual fans or something?

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The ice at Rogers Arena is absolutely atrocious. The puck can barely stay flat and was jumping on everyone. The excuse of a heavily used multi-purpose venue isn't valid right now. Is the building and ice sheet technology just really out-dated? Makes it tough for skilled hockey. Not really an excuse though for the top line as Boeser looks like the only one playing with confidence, just makes for much less entertaining hockey, which is something the Canucks should be concerned about from a business point of view.

Sutter looks good when he's healthy, and the difference in having a reliable 3c is quite big. I think it is indeed approaching time for Gaudette to be put on the wing.

Matt Murray was really bad and the difference in the game.

WeAreSoPucked

Jan 15, 2021
Hawknut in peace ...
Holtby throwing his cap on the ice after Sutter's hatty was hockey greatness.

Hawks' rook got one last game & not seeing it rain hats after was just ... un-hockey-ian.
1st star to Holtby for play of the game.

PS - Fun read this post game thread whole bunch of LOLs not lols either. And t/y for 'em.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Give the team credit for taking advantage of terrible goal-tending. It's not their fault that Murray was a complete sieve. How in the world did he back stop the Pens to Stanley Cups??? Nice that the team could get laughter and maybe this can jump start something.

Good

Sutter - even before the goals started going in, he was showing well. Crucial on the PK and in carrying his line mates. The shot on the his second goal was just outstanding. Green must keep him as the third line center and forget the Gaudette experiment. The problem, of course, is how long can Sutter remain healthy. Really that is the key point with Sutter. As long as he's not hurt Sutter is a legit NHL player but, if the past is any indication, his groin and such can't stand up to the punishment he takes.

Motte - when the game was on the line Motte was excellent. Right now is starting to build on the great play of late last season. 5 0n 5 and on the PK he was very good.

Hoglander - the more you see the more you like. One of the most surprising elements of his game is his ability to maintain possession under pressure. You want to pinch yourself but right now looks like he will be a dynamic NHL player. Totally outplayed Stutzle who was frankly awful in this game and does not appear to be at all NHL ready. Just stupid giving Joulevi the 3rd star over Hoglander

Beagle - when he is skating like he was in this game can be an effective player. Zero offense but good on forecheck and on PK

Hughes - thought it was his best game so far. Got some space to use his speed and pushed the play through the neutral zone. Not perfect in his own end but more effective than of late. Did better when he got a little less ice time. Like how he was kibitzing with Thachuk.

Demko - still not looking that comfortable and stick handling was poor at times but made some great side to side stays and prevented Ottawa from getting back in the game. Would say, in this game ,our goalie did a better job of bailing out the defense

Bad

Virtanen - contributed nothing. Again baggage.

Miller - can see he is fighting to keep in the flow. Missing time b/c of the covid situation has put him behind and playing scrambly hockey. Got by in first game but then conditioning caught up to him. Needs to get up to game speed. Taking bad penalties and puck movement is not good - one of the problems on the PP.

Pettersson - very little accomplished. Getting caught standing still too much and also starting to cheat and guess to get offensive chances (such as trying to cut behind the opponents net to pick off d to d passes and taking himself out of the play). Amazing the team could do so well with Pettersson playing like he is.

Others

Myers - mix of good and bad plays. Likely getting more responsibility than he can handle but probably an over all positive in this game

Benn - not bad. took players off the rush much better than many of our d-men have done this year. Firmly in the top 6 on this team.

Joulevi - nice that he could score but honestly the goal was a bit of a whiff by Murray. Also, he was getting a little more pressure on the puck in his end. However, he's still not giving himself space to make plays as illustrated by how he was just throwing the puck up the boards when pressured or trying to shuffle the puck around to his defensive partner.. Also still backing way too much off on rushes against. Must improve his ability to handle and break up plays at his blueline. The question will be - how much seasoning can the Canucks give him at the NHL level and still live with his faults??? He needs more time but with a need to win now you wonder how much game time they can give him. You could see how young he is after scoring his goal when he almost looked embarrassed.

Edler - got a better in the third but he was often too slow in making the plays. Can no longer effectively join the rush and often pushed into mistake in his end. At one point I think you could say Edler was upper tier NHL d-man. Now he is certainly not much more than a middling journeyman who, you hope, can be decent in his end.

Horvat - thought it was one of his weaker game. Way Hoglander was buzzing, Horvat could have done better to take advantage of openings created. One of the those games where Horvat was lugging in his skating. In the end though, Horvat is tied for the lead in League scoring so any criticism has to be very much muted..
Agree that Hog was more deserving than Juolevi.

Disagree that Meyers was other. He was bad.

That give away and following sequence was especially egregious.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sutter with a hattrick who would have known.. jake was invisible playing liek he doesnt care. 3rd and 4th liners chipped in. benn and hughes okay pairing. benn plays better on the right side keep it that way. entire top line quiet minuses to everyone. that roussel/watson fight i think watson popped roussel in the shoulder he was favouring doubled over heading to the bench. put adam in for jake.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Horvat is tied for the lead in League scoring

And Quinn Hughes is tied for the lead in league scoring for D-men. And that's with him playing like ASS for 5 of the 8 games we've played. What a player. Even when he's not at the top of his game, he's at the top of the league, and only in his second season.

Reactions: Byfield

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
No idea why is looking off shot opportunities on the PP. QH43 keeps feeding it back to him for the 1T and he’s passing it back. So weird.
Are we watching the same player? After 2 seasons and a playoff run, teams are literally taking him away on the power play. Most times the 1t has gone to him there’s a defender right in the lane.
I count one instance where we could of left go of a wrister but deferred back to Hughes. It’s his play without the puck that is alarming and of course the uncharacteristic turnovers.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Hi folks,

I’d asked @Mr. Canucklehead if I could do today’s GDT, but I thought I should put this out to the group in case another Member or Moderator like @Zombotron has Wednesday’s Game in mind.

I want to be respectful as opposed to blocking others from getting the opportunity.
View attachment 388385

So if it’s better to rotate them, no worries, I’ll pick up another one down the line. But if it’s open, I’ll be happy to do it again.
View attachment 388384

Thank you in advance.
Go for it, GP

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I love that Juolevi is cementing himself as a NHL regular...
Being brought along nicely, building his responsibility, and he's getting solid.. Rewarded with a nice snipe tonight....
Keep it rolling Ollie!
Cheering so hard for him....

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sutter and Beagle and Motte just willing this team into the fight and to work...

Just like the playoffs.

Team will follow.

So happy for Sutter... Showing off his top end speed on his last couple goals.. HATTRICK! Good on him.. well earned..

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Also good for OJ. Again I think he has a lot of work to do but you have to give him tons of credit for playing within his game and physical abilities. He's been a lot better than I thought he would be (although to be fair I expected him to be an absolute tire fire) and has definitely put in the effort. That deserves some reward if you ask me.

PS No, he isn't actually good yet. But he's a developing player.

It's no coincidence Juolevi has looked noticeably better in his last two games (despite us getting shelled by the Habs) and his partner is now Benn instead of Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad