Post-Game Talk: Canucks 6, Sabres 5 (OT) on 80s Afternoon

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Have to wonder what happened to JT Miller last year in Tampa.
I know they were having a record breaking year but they are struggling this time around.

What happened?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Haven’t I been saying this for the last 2 years and getting pooped on for saying it?
Yes you have Johnny and I've been giving him a bit of a break entering the league and getting his feet wet so to speak but enough is enough. He's getting to play with a very good young two way center in Pettersson and he should take note with the effort his linemates put in.
We all know he doesn't have a good first step to get up to speed so standing around is just killing him on the defensive side of things.
I know he's putting up the points and he's one of my favorite Canucks but I can't stand lazy players no matter how good they are.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Disagree IMHO they are never called...

Neither is half the crap Buffalo got PPs for all game.

But honestly, all of that pales in comparison to the refs missing another headshot. They keep talking about wanting to get that out of the game, but it keeps not being called. Frustrating.

This team is certainly entertaining on offense, but man, our ability to lock it down defensively is not very good. We played an early 90s defensive game to go along with those early 90s jerseys (which are stunningly beautiful, by the way).

Nice to see Myers get on the scoresheet. Roussel making some big contributions in his first games back, and nice to see Leivo going on a bit of a tear. He was doing the little things well prior to burying some of his recent chances, IMO.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have absolutely no idea what the Canucks and Benning thought they saw in Beagle....he's been out with lingering hip issues apparently, which isn't a good omen for player well on the other side of 30.

Supposedly he was brought in and dramatically overpaid for faceoffs and defensive zone work...but he's been absolutely awful most of the season....and on his usual pace for three goals a year. And as other posters have pointed out....when you add in Schaller and Ferland, that's $8.5m a season for a line that can't get out of its own zone.

I realize it's only the Aquilini's money, but if Benning doesn't feel a little sick about it, he should.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I have absolutely no idea what the Canucks and Benning thought they saw in Beagle....he's been out with lingering hip issues apparently, which isn't a good omen for player well on the other side of 30.

Supposedly he was brought in and dramatically overpaid for faceoffs and defensive zone work...but he's been absolutely awful most of the season....and on his usual pace for three goals a year. And as other posters have pointed out....when you add in Schaller and Ferland, that's $8.5m a season for a line that can't get out of its own zone.

I realize it's only the Aquilini's money, but if Benning doesn't feel a little sick about it, he should.
Yeah and he and Schaller were brutal today...well, not just today. But just the worst players on the ice.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
To my eyes Demko is a lot like Markstrom was a couple of years ago. Big, athletic guy who makes plenty of excellent saves; still has some work to do on technique and positioning to reduce the number of softies. Very capable backup on a cheap contract at this point and should improve.

Didn't have a good game today but on the whole I'm not complaining.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
JT Miller - 31 points

Nikita Kucherov - 31 points
Steven Stamkos - 22 points
Brayden Point - 22 points
I mean, Kucherov has played 25 games, Stamkos 22, and Point 23.

Miller's been great yes and Tampa should've let Killorn or Johnson go in retrospect.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I mean, Kucherov has played 25 games, Stamkos 22, and Point 23.

Miller's been great yes and Tampa should've let Killorn or Johnson go in retrospect.

Killorn and Johnson both have no trade clauses. If Tampa made a mistake, it was trading Miller instead of Yanni Gourde.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Just got home and watched the highlights. Can someone please explain to me what in the holy hell Ferland was doing on Buffalo's 4th goal? He's the closest man to the Sabre with the puck, and he skates AWAY from him, giving him a clear lane to the net? IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. I've watched the replay 3 times. I can't fathom what he was thinking.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I've seen a push lately from TG telling the team to get that first goal and win the first.

They've been bagging themselves leaving no energy to defend and no energy to skate the other way as the game goes on.

But also Canucks try to win games on the PP and lately have tried to bottle up the 5on5 (which has killed their +/-). It works when the refs call what they should or the other team doesn't get goaded or turtles. Keep out of the box.

Is there going to be discipline on the refs for missing the Horvat hit and Toronto has to send him to protocol?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Taking my 6 yr old to his first Canuck game.

Just win baby!

Don't care how ugly, lucky, embarrassing...
Just score one more that the other team today.
That is all.

That was one of the BEST live games I've ever been too!

Special game... emotional rollercoaster.... 4 rotation wave... spectacular finish.. club seats...Cheered hard for 6 goals... High 5'ing strangers, stranger feeding my kid popcorn.. ice cream for a treat...

What a game!​

Attachments

• IMG_20191207_183156.jpg
    IMG_20191207_183156.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It was between Miller and Gourde and yes Tampa did f*** up by giving away JT Miller

I’ve loved miller so far but it’s really easy to tell Tampa they messed up BEFORE they receive the main piece in the trade. I’m usually not a wait and see guy but in this case we literally don’t know what we’ve given them yet in return for Miller.

Reactions: CanuckCity

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Haven’t I been saying this for the last 2 years and getting pooped on for saying it?
Well, pooped on may be an exaggeration, but you were debated and crushed a few times. But I have to agree about today. He looked slow and confused at times and continually made bad passing decisions today.

So, mark your calendar, Johnny, Dec 7, 2019.

The day we agreed.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They got rid of the wrong cap dump
Only one they could move.

Killorn, Palat, and Johnson all had full NTC in place. Gourde's full NTC activated on July 1. And they did move out Callahan when they got to put him on LTIR.

Could have moved Gourde (but, personally I think it's a bad message to send the players when you extend a guy in November of his contract year before he goes UFA, only to trade him before the contract starts).

Part of the cap friendly deals is trade protection. We saw it here 8 years ago.

Reactions: mossey3535

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Pretty ease to separate the good from the bad in this one. Nice to win but you can take little comfort in the way they did. Overall the teamwork, especially defensively, was shoddy for the most part. Goals were coming off fragmented plays that often were against the run of play. This team is not playing well and no lead seems safe.

Good

Myers - not perfect but wouldn't want to see our defense without him. Had some jump and scored a critical and nice goal. ( I say critical b/c the team was starting to get run out of the building at that point)

Hughes - hopefully players can begin to convert some of the sitters he is setting up. Especially in the first was controlling the play and getting the team off to a good start.

Levio - is becoming one of best forwards. Starting to show the shot he showed at times last year. Playing a good two way game

Roussel - you wonder what his stats would be if he had played all year. Won't keep up the present pace but his speed and smarts is getting him constant scoring chances.

Miller - great assist and great goal. Some other set ups were also real good. Makes some sloppy plays at times but right now one of the best forwards in the League

Bad

Benn - really having a difficult time picking up people around the net. At times couldn't blame him b/c puck was tied up in his end for long periods but he frequently seemed to just stop skating and as he just stood in front of his net doing nothing

Gaudette - play in his end is just not near good enough.

Ugly

Shaller - downhill trend accelerating. Work along the boards was particularly awful but then work every where else was poor as well. Seems like the real Scahller has emerged.

Beagle - just terrible. couldn't get there and when he did couldn't do anything. Skates like this and no way he can play at this level. Team would be better going with Graovac (and he isn't very good) and MacEwen is right now probably better than Schaller

Ferlund - cut him a break for being out but he looked lost.

Boeser - just real ugly. Somehow got 2 points but overall was very sluggish. Puck movement on the PP was horrid. Almost knew when he got the puck he was about to fumble it away or make a bad pass. Probably the worst forward on the team right now - certainly the slowest. Might want to move Roussel onto Pettersson line

Others

Virtanen - keep waiting for Vertanen to really assert himself but you have to be satisfied with a lot of his play. In a lot cases, he seems too deliberate and you like to see him jump a little quicker on the play and do things more at speed yet he is better at not making the grievous turnover and, in general, errorsin decision making. Hopefully going in the right direction.

Stecher - thought this was one of his better game. Was pushing the play through the mid ice better and angling check to the side boards decently

Tanev - one of his weakest game. Got better in the third but early he was getting shoved off the puck and letting players get inside position around the net. On PK was allowing the cross ice pass. Saddled with Benn and that combination was in trouble a lot.

Pettersson - I think obvious that he is not totally on his game. Had some bad lapses in his end and not very consistent at creating offense.

Last edited:

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
So are we just gonna pretend that Roussel doesn’t have four goals in two games? Where’s the love?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So are we just gonna pretend that Roussel doesn’t have four goals in two games? Where’s the love?

It seems like everyone loves him right now - which is frankly awesome, I felt like his signing was met with a lot of mixed responses and he had a solid year last year that won over a lot of people, but then he kind of faded from the consciousness with the length of his recovery. Awesome to see him come back with such a bang. And his celly on Burrows night is instantly one of my all time Canuck favorites.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad