Post-Game Talk: Canucks 6, Sabres 5 (OT) on 80s Afternoon

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well, pooped on may be an exaggeration, but you were debated and crushed a few times. But I have to agree about today. He looked slow and confused at times and continually made bad passing decisions today.

So, mark your calendar, Johnny, Dec 7, 2019.

The day we agreed.
Well. I guess that’s it. World ends tomororw. It’s been fun.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
hughes has 0 goals since. Coincidence ??
Well, I'm no internet doctor, but friends in the medical profession tell me that a legitimate doctor would never make a diagnosis without examining the patient.

However, you could be right and there may be a direct link between the tinfoil diagnosis and his inability to score.

However, sticking with reality, and I've worked the green product pretty heavily tonight after nine hours of hockey so my opinion is suspect, but clearly Hughes does not have an ankle sprain and Brock definitely has sucked bum for a while now.

But they've become an entertaining team to watch this year and they should be in a dogfight with a half dozen other teams for a playoff position.

I'll take that for now.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
That was a fun game to watch live, though my friend and I had to miss the first ~5 minutes due to a ticket issue. My track record has been pretty insane so far -- four games attended, four wins with 5+ goals each time. I can't possibly expect that level of good juju to continue when I go to the game vs the Canes next week...but ayy here's hoping!

Thought Boeser had the most visibly evident "bad" game. None of his passes were working. Kept trying to feed it through skates. Kept killing good momentum. He knows he's better than that. He was definitely forcing it tonight.

Pettersson continues to be a godsend, the little plays he makes are what separates him from the pack, truly

Miller hey speaking of godsends, JT Miller really does it all doesn't he? Takes faceoffs, kills penalties, sets up the shorty, and does a pretty good Petey one-timer impersonation too. Just when you think he can't be any better for us...

I thought this was Tyler Myers's best game since DC, even beyond the points. His celly on his SH goal was pretty sick. Like a big screeching pterodactyl lmao -- he deserved it though

Quinn was magic. He's constantly ahead of the play, in all zones. It's easy to understate his mental understanding of the game, when the rest of his abilities are exceptional already.

Thought the fourth line had a really, really tough go of things. Ferland looked rusty, similar to his first go-around, though a lot less hesitant to throw hits this time. He got the crowd going pretty well with his physicality, but unfortunately that's the best you could say of the 4th line tonight. Hemmed in, bad penalties, getting scored on. You hope it's just a lack of game action affecting their readiness as a line.

Roussel/Gaudette/Virtanen is a rollercoaster line and I'm here for it. It's just fun to watch guys who care about the game as much as Roussel and Gaudette do. They've got gaps in their game, that Virtanen penalty seemed especially unnecessary, but they're generating offense at an unexpected clip right now.

Jack Eichel is a force. I don't think that's really news at this point. Larsson looked like a handful down low, Reinhart was feathering excellent cross-zone passes all night. But their goals weren't strong and as a team they looked over-matched. Thought they got away with a point tonight.

The crowd energy was exceptional. Larscheiders have the best chants. But aside from them, the building felt animated. I love these kinds of games where there's lots to see for everyone. Burrows night was a lot like that too.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
blowing another lead again. this clearly falls on travis green. i guess the team still haven't learned their lesson from games against washington and most recently pittsburgh lately.. way too passive. guys are standing stationary and letting the other teams have room to operate for a scoring opportunity. if they have a lead, they should put pressure or attack on the other end for the last period. its like the guys have no gas left in the tank to do it..? I don't know. they can't expect to put up 5+ everynight and then lay back..

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
That was a fun game to watch live, though my friend and I had to miss the first ~5 minutes due to a ticket issue. My track record has been pretty insane so far -- four games attended, four wins with 5+ goals each time. I can't possibly expect that level of good juju to continue when I go to the game vs the Canes next week...but ayy here's hoping!

Thought Boeser had the most visibly evident "bad" game. None of his passes were working. Kept trying to feed it through skates. Kept killing good momentum. He knows he's better than that. He was definitely forcing it tonight.

Pettersson continues to be a godsend, the little plays he makes are what separates him from the pack, truly

Miller hey speaking of godsends, JT Miller really does it all doesn't he? Takes faceoffs, kills penalties, sets up the shorty, and does a pretty good Petey one-timer impersonation too. Just when you think he can't be any better for us...

I thought this was Tyler Myers's best game since DC, even beyond the points. His celly on his SH goal was pretty sick. Like a big screeching pterodactyl lmao -- he deserved it though

Quinn was magic. He's constantly ahead of the play, in all zones. It's easy to understate his mental understanding of the game, when the rest of his abilities are exceptional already.

Thought the fourth line had a really, really tough go of things. Ferland looked rusty, similar to his first go-around, though a lot less hesitant to throw hits this time. He got the crowd going pretty well with his physicality, but unfortunately that's the best you could say of the 4th line tonight. Hemmed in, bad penalties, getting scored on. You hope it's just a lack of game action affecting their readiness as a line.

Roussel/Gaudette/Virtanen is a rollercoaster line and I'm here for it. It's just fun to watch guys who care about the game as much as Roussel and Gaudette do. They've got gaps in their game, that Virtanen penalty seemed especially unnecessary, but they're generating offense at an unexpected clip right now.

Jack Eichel is a force. I don't think that's really news at this point. Larsson looked like a handful down low, Reinhart was feathering excellent cross-zone passes all night. But their goals weren't strong and as a team they looked over-matched. Thought they got away with a point tonight.

The crowd energy was exceptional. Larscheiders have the best chants. But aside from them, the building felt animated. I love these kinds of games where there's lots to see for everyone. Burrows night was a lot like that too.
Hey yo,

I didn’t watch the game tonight (only the condensed version) but was Tom Larsheid doing color? If so - that’s awesome. Did Jim Robson make an appearance?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
6 goals and only 1 pettersson point...

This year is different isnt it?

Pettersson is going through what a lot of second year players go through in terms of adapting to the increased attention and scrutiny of other teams’ top defensive players, goalies, and coaches. The fact that he’s still over a point a game while working through it is kind of hilarious, really.

He hasn’t been anywhere near as dominant as last season, and the team is still managing to score some goals and win some games. I think even better things are in store once he really gets into his groove.

Reactions: dps and mossey3535

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a goalie expert by any stretch but I thought Demko looked really weak on a few goals. Went down early on a couple of goals and gave up the whole upper part of the net. Team is still giving up the slot too much especially that fourth line. Really bad game for them.
On the positive side the offense is a treat to watch. Three solid offensive lines for the first time in a while.

Reactions: mossey3535

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I have absolutely no idea what the Canucks and Benning thought they saw in Beagle....he's been out with lingering hip issues apparently, which isn't a good omen for player well on the other side of 30.

Supposedly he was brought in and dramatically overpaid for faceoffs and defensive zone work...but he's been absolutely awful most of the season....and on his usual pace for three goals a year. And as other posters have pointed out....when you add in Schaller and Ferland, that's $8.5m a season for a line that can't get out of its own zone.

I realize it's only the Aquilini's money, but if Benning doesn't feel a little sick about it, he should.

I think we should reframe from "its Aquilini's money" to "it's our teams extremely precious cap space" and absolutely the GM, owner, and fans should be sick at the thought of spending $3MM a year for a player who can barely play at this level.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Pettersson is going through what a lot of second year players go through in terms of adapting to the increased attention and scrutiny of other teams’ top defensive players, goalies, and coaches. The fact that he’s still over a point a game while working through it is kind of hilarious, really.

He hasn’t been anywhere near as dominant as last season, and the team is still managing to score some goals and win some games. I think even better things are in store once he really gets into his groove.
He does this DESPITE playing with Boeser! Other than being good buddies off the ice, the simply don't fit together on the ice. That TG can't see this makes me wonder.

And - EP would be an awesome penalty killer. Oh the amount of breakaways he would get...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Not a goalie expert by any stretch but I thought Demko looked really weak on a few goals. Went down early on a couple of goals and gave up the whole upper part of the net. Team is still giving up the slot too much especially that fourth line. Really bad game for them.
On the positive side the offense is a treat to watch. Three solid offensive lines for the first time in a while.

He's been doing it all year, and getting burned by it all year. I think Clark has gotten him to stand up quicker once the play moves to the middle, but for the most part his first instinct remains to get to his post and get to his knees (aka post integration).

As I have been saying literally every single game he has played, this gives up the far side and opens up space up high as the shooter has aerial angle unless they are point blank range.

Why do I harp on this? Because these are almost the only goals he gives up now! For plays in the middle without screens, where he's required to move laterally to a moderate degree, he looks absolutely unbeatable. He also looks good on scrambles for 2nd or 3rd shots in those same situations.

Even when he doesn't go down, his tendency to get to his post puts him slightly off-angle. Most of the clear shots that beat him are from the wings after he's lost his net.

Whether or not he gets abused for these flaws is directly related to opposing team speed (it makes him hurry and our D gives up worse chances) and skill (more skilled teams have been taking shots from further away from the net to exploit his tendency to do this).

This and other small issues are literally what is keeping him from being an elite NHL goalie IMO. There'll be a further mental/consistency hurdle to jump when he becomes the starter but that's a next season Demko problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad