Post-Game Talk: Canucks 6, Sabres 5 (OT) on 80s Afternoon

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Boeser needs to be benched and sent a message....MOVE YOUR F*CKING FEET!

Damn, he looks just straight up lazy out there. The players and coaching staff really need to nip this in the bud and get a fire lit under his a**. This can't continue.
One of the laziest players on the Canucks right now. Makes good plays but he just floats and doesn't skate at all.

I wish the NHL tracked how many kilometres the guys skate over the course of the game line the KHL

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Boeser needs to be benched and sent a message....MOVE YOUR F*CKING FEET!

Damn, he looks just straight up lazy out there. The players and coaching staff really need to nip this in the bud and get a fire lit under his a**. This can't continue.

Haven’t I been saying this for the last 2 years and getting pooped on for saying it?

Reactions: Jack Burton

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
i couldnt watch, how did Ferland look? how was his skating?

Bad. The entire 4th line was hemmed in their own zone for the entire game. Awful attempt at a clear that lead to a goal. Played 8:50, and benched for most of the third.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Team HAS to figure out how to not give up these leads. Something has to change. Have to wonder if that Capitals game got in their head and its psychological now. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
There's really nothing 'psychological' about it. All about coaching imo. Canucks really have no defensive structure to close out games....all these blown third period leads are more than a disturbing trend.

The Beagle-Schaller-Ferland line, which supposedly is out there for defensive purposes, was on the ice for three goals against....and if you add the pp goal Beagle was on the ice for, he was on the ice for four by Buffalo. And Green parked Gaudette in the pressbox at the start of the season, because of his 'defensive issues'?. And Benn along with Schaller on the first unit penalty kill? Is that for real.

If this third period trend continues, the Canucks need to seriously look at a coaching change, even before the end of the season.

Reactions: dps

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Bad. The entire 4th line was hemmed in their own zone for the entire game. Awful attempt at a clear that lead to a goal.
I actually thought he was the only guy on the 4th line they didn’t look terrible

To be fair, he cant be playing on the 4th line, he’s at his best when he’s playing with talented players.

I would rather put Jake on the 4th line

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Thatcher definitely needs a bit more time before taking over as the starter
Yup. Only has 21 or 22 NHL games in his career. He needs a lot more time to experience the pressures of being an NHL goalie, let alone being a starter. I remember Marky's shaky early years with us.

It just bites that we have a "timing" issue with Marky's contract and the expansion draft.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The defensive play in our own zone is incredibly bad. Why do they back up so much and give other teams so much time with the puck? It’s incredibly frustrating to watch.
It's because we're a team that's still learning how to win on a consistent basis. They need to be put in a position to hold onto the lead late more frequently to figure out how to hold on. The past few years, those opportunities were few and far between. Now they have to learn.

That said, a lot of this is coaching and that's on Green and his staff to devise more effective strategies. Collapsing to the net and ceding all kinds of shooting and passing lanes is clearly playing with fire.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I dont think it would have been possible to get him for cheaper. If you took off the first you would have to include a prospect. Would replacing the first with a guy like Madden been that much better? Cause Jett Woo/Juolevi/Hoglander wouldnt have moved the needle. No ones giving up JT Miller for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Let’s not go down this path. If you want to discuss the trade, take it to the armchair thread, or Miller’s own thread.

You will face definite opposition for your take here.

Reactions: Hit the post

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
One thing is Hughes is ridiculously good and an aspect of his game has rubbed off on Myers in a very positive way. Hughes plays fast obviously and I found that when Myers started to mimic Edler in slowing down the exits, or play in general, he struggled and now he is just playing more on instinct than thought. Effective pairing.

Still cannot believe MTL, Arizona, Detroit gifted him to us.

Lastly, I would trade Boeser next year for our cap relief and maybe another Jones for Johansen type trade. I respect him as a person but he is showing so many aspects in his game that won’t get us over that next hump.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great game from Leivo & Roussel. Hughes and Miller were also good, entertaining game!

3rd line of Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen was solid again 5on5, however the 4th line was absolutely brutal 5on5. Beagle & Schaller need to play better at even strength, poor stick checking and awareness this game.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What a shot by Miller on that OT goal.... popped the lid right off that bottle!!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Liked the games from: Miller, Leivo, Hughes, Myers, Pearson, Roussell

Above average/accetable: Pettersson, Stecher, Tanev, Benn, BoHo

Invisible and ended up with 2 secondary assists: Boeser, Virtanen
Invisible and ended up with 0 secondary assists: Gaudette, Fantemburger,

Poor game: Beagles, Schaller, Demko, Ferland

It seems i ranked quite positive or avg for a bunch a guys and seems odd considering we blew the lead in the 3rd against a poor quality team BUT i think theres some skill and good players there but are not coordinated in a proper way which i think is on the Coach. I think this was not a game that should have been so close but the team doesnt work well together. I think is time for Coach Green to go

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Neither Ferland nor Schaller played after the 5-4 goal. Beagle got one more shift.

That line was brutal. Unbelievable that it costs 8.5M.

Roussel/Gaudette line on the other hand was pretty great, as was Leivo. With the 4th line benched sooner they might win this in regulation.

Top line continues to pick up points despite not really getting much done 5-on-5.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If you consider calling a legitimate penalty handing us the game

Most of the penalties against us were also legitimate. I can guarantee you that if the roles were reversed everybody here would be losing their minds over that "make up call". Not saying the reffing wasn't weak but still...

Reactions: dps and Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->