Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Oilers 2 - My kids are better than your kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I don't think Weber has done anything in preseason, but he's probably ahead based on his body of work.

I wouldn't mind exploring the option of trading him.

I would want to keep Weber around just based on the fact that we don't have a particularly offensive blueline.

Edler is obviously a threat to put up decent points... Hutton has obviously impressed... but after that we're looking at Hamhuis/Tanev/Bartkowski/Sbisa to try and provide offense from the back end, and I think that less than ideal.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Watching Hutton make confident moves coming out of his own end and not just firing the puck out off the glass to get out of trouble has won me over. Not one of our other dmen has the ability to do that.

yeah it's a treat to watch a defenseman with the confidence to do stuff like that. You see guys like Keith and Doughty do that all the time and it really kills other teams forecheck.

Meanwhile Sbisa can't even shoot the puck off the glass right. There was a play last night on the pk where he had time to wheel behind the net clear it down the ice but shot it around the boards in the other direction where there was a couple oilers there waiting to cut it off.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
I don't think Weber has done anything in preseason, but he's probably ahead based on his body of work.

I wouldn't mind exploring the option of trading him.

rather have Weber manning a point the 1st unit PP than Edler or Hamhuis on the 2nd.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
For the first time in a long time I actually enjoyed watching the Canucks game last night. I'm tempering my expectations because I fully expect WD, JB, and TL to completely **** up what we have, but for now I'm excited about what we have and have some hope for a watchable team.

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen: Wow. Lightning in a bottle. These guys absolutely dominated last night. Horvat was clearly the straw that stirred the drink, but there's nothing really wrong with that. These are still very young players, so they will be inconsistent, but I would certainly like to see this line continue and let them build more chemistry.

Hutton: Looked very good again last night. On a team that has no offense from the back end, this guy could be very valuable for us. Definitely a breath of fresh air.

Markstrom: Meh. Looked better than Miller has, but so far isn't making me forget about Eddie Lack. Solid game though, but nothing really to write home about.

Vey: Completely invisible.

Sutter: Made some nice plays, created some chances. Kinda reminds me of Mason Raymond a little bit. Good skater with some decent speed, but his offensive skills are lacking.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I think it's worth noting - a lot of us are hard on Benning and Co. for their preferential treatment of a guy like Vey. But Desjardins has also freely admitted that if he had his way, Horvat probably wouldn't have stuck around last year either. It was Benning that forced his hand.

You take the good with the bad, I guess.

Most coaches are like that. Livelihood depends on winning now. Don't think Gillis had much success with AV when it came to these things.

Thoughts on succession:

-McCann probably can play right now and it wouldn't particularly trouble me to loose Vey on waivers (Corrado is another story)

-It's less about McCann v Vey than it is McCann getting into games, playing a lot of minutes in all situations and having quality linemates, which he will certainly not get if Gaunce and Virtanen stick

-Corrado stays for now for waiver reasons and Hutton is first in line for a call up that always comes with our D

-Two rookies sticking for bulk of the season and decent showing from Bae would constitute pretty good youth movement. Some like Horvat are keepers (future top 6/4 potential), others like Kenins you just don't know and future stints, or worse, in the farm are always a possibility. Benning will do well to get Willie to accept two. Anything above 1.5 rookies per year with zero NHL experience is an accomplishment

-McCann and Hutton (hopefully with at least an NHL stint) will be sufficiently over-marinated for next year. Ferraro is the voice of reason on this

-Two years hence it will be Boeser, this year's first rounder, and the usual surprises sprinkled throughout

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Most coaches are like that. Livelihood depends on winning now. Don't think Gillis had much success with AV when it came to these things.

Thoughts on succession:

-McCann probably can play right now and it wouldn't particularly trouble me to loose Vey on waivers (Corrado is another story)

-It's less about McCann v Vey than it is McCann getting into games, playing a lot of minutes in all situations and having quality linemates, which he will certainly not get if Gaunce and Virtanen stick

-Corrado stays for now for waiver reasons and Hutton is first in line for a call up that always comes with our D

-Two rookies sticking for bulk of the season and decent showing from Bae would constitute pretty good youth movement. Some like Horvat are keepers (future top 6/4 potential), others like Kenins you just don't know and future stints, or worse, in the farm are always a possibility. Benning will do well to get Willie to accept two. Anything above 1.5 rookies per year with zero NHL experience is an accomplishment

-McCann and Hutton (hopefully with at least an NHL stint) will be sufficiently over-marinated for next year. Ferraro is the voice of reason on this

-Two years hence it will be Boeser, this year's first rounder, and the usual surprises sprinkled throughout

I will be surprised if Boeser signs in two years. Kid seemed pretty committed to getting his degree before jumping to the pros.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I will be surprised if Boeser signs in two years. Kid seemed pretty committed to getting his degree before jumping to the pros.

The longer you stay in college the longer it delays your ability to make big bucks. You only have so many years of max earning potential so it's better to get paid as quickly as you can. He will stay at UND for 1 or 2 years max.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Cory Schneider continued his studies in the summer semester and finished up his business degree in the summer of 2012. If Boeser wants his degree there are ways he can do that while playing pro hockey.

arsmaster*

I never got the impression Boeser wants a degree, I got the impression he was specifically committed to playing NCAA hockey. I can't however see him pushing for 4 years with all that $$$ on the line.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Gaunce is in the middle of working on a degree as well over the offseasons. But I agree, by the sounds of it, Boeser seemed to want to stay in the NCAA just for the hockey aspects of it, not necessarily because of the degree.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Never understood why First rounders, highly touted prospects want to obtain their 4 year degree. If you are a Hutton, Bieksa, a late round draft pick, then yes you need to go to school.

It's just ridiculous how Eichel was thinking of going to college. LOL. He is getting paid 925k this year. It takes the average salary 20 years to get to 1 million.

IIRC, Hunter's and Bo's signing bonus was 87k. Once they retire they can go to school.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Gaunce is in the middle of working on a degree as well over the offseasons. But I agree, by the sounds of it, Boeser seemed to want to stay in the NCAA just for the hockey aspects of it, not necessarily because of the degree.

Gotta get that degree if you want to be GM.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

We'll see. Benning said he would check on him in about two years. If he shows good development Jimbo is sure to bring a contract in hand and I hear he's a generous man when it comes to this stuff.:laugh:

Sooner or later, him pulling a Kesler, the early career deciding move we all liked, is probable.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Ehh Lack at a cap hit of 4M is not really a great option if he's simply going to be a backup. I've stated before I think Miller is simply a placeholder until Markstrom is ready. If he turns into a good, legit NHL starter, then I feel the Miller signing will have been justified. It's more long-term / big picture thinking.

I totally disagree. Worst case scenerio, you save 2 mil in salary for a better goaltending, then trade lack for more assets. You maximize the value. We did the exact opposite and got a terrible return instead, to pay more for worse goaltending.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Never understood why First rounders, highly touted prospects want to obtain their 4 year degree. If you are a Hutton, Bieksa, a late round draft pick, then yes you need to go to school.

It's just ridiculous how Eichel was thinking of going to college. LOL. He is getting paid 925k this year. It takes the average salary 20 years to get to 1 million.

IIRC, Hunter's and Bo's signing bonus was 87k. Once they retire they can go to school.

because they have good parents?

arsmaster*

I totally disagree. Worst case scenerio, you save 2 mil in salary for a better goaltending, then trade lack for more assets. You maximize the value. We did the exact opposite and got a terrible return instead, to pay more for worse goaltending.

Exactamundo.

Even if Markstrom proves to be as good as Eddie Lack, he now holds all the cards. The structure of the contracts is ridiculously stupid and exposes the team to need to sign two new goalies in 2 years.

If Markstrom is just barely splitting starts with Miller next season, are you really going to trust him to take the reins? I know lots of JB lovers will just like whatever he does, but how can you commit to a guy longterm that will have never been an NHL starter?

It's the same crap we heard from management when we signed Miller. Markstrom will be the same age as Eddie was.

I fully expect if JB is here, they just go get the biggest name UFA off the market in summer 2017 (I think it will be Bishop).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Vey for sure.

I actually quite like the idea of Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett as the 4th line. Exactly what we all want from a 4th line. Prust is improving IMO, and was good along the wall.

Sure it would be nice for Gaunce to make it, but he'll get games here this year, I have no doubts.

Ronnie can get to Utica without waivers, hasn't done enough to cement a spot in the opening lineup, but he'll be back for sure.

My opening night lineup, if I'm making it today.

Twins-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen (you have go back to this line after last night)
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-McCann-Dorsett
Cracknell

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Biega-Bartkowski
Weber-Sbisa

I'd carry 8 dmen.

I think both Vey and Corrado get down to Utica.

No way baerchi isnt that good hes just good for pre season hes a bust imo and a mistake trade. Hope im wrong tho. Heres id do the line up

Sedin Sedin Virtanen
Burrows Horvat Vrbata
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Prust Vey Doorset

Edler Tanev
Hamuis Barkowski
Hutton Sbisa
Weber

Marky
Miller

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No way baerchi isnt that good hes just good for pre season hes a bust imo and a mistake trade. Hope im wrong tho. Heres id do the line up

Sedin Sedin Virtanen
Burrows Horvat Vrbata
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Prust Vey Doorset

Edler Tanev
Hamuis Barkowski
Hutton Sbisa
Weber

Marky
Miller

Virtanen does not work well with the Sedins. At all. The Sedins need someone who can keep up with their cycle and Virtanen needs linemates who can keep up with his pace.

Secondly, Weber has to be a regular defenseman. I know he's not a sexy name or prospect but he led Canucks D last year with 11 goals and is pretty much the best of the regulars on the PP. He deserves a regular spot.

For me, the top 5 D are set (I include Sbisa because I'm being realistic. He's NOT going to be a healthy scratch):

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - ______

Three guys are competing for that last spot: Bartkowski, Hutton and Corrado. In my mind, the only guy who makes sense as the 7th D is Bartkowski because Hutton and Corrado both need to be playing regular minutes if they're not the 6th D. Hutton has earned the spot over Corrado so I would waive Corrado, hope he makes it through, and then send him to Utica. Put Hutton in that #6 spot or, even better, in the #4 spot and move Weber down. Use Bartkowski as the 7th defenseman.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbisa - Weber
Bartkowski

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I like the idea of a Burrows-Sutter-Hansen checking line. A Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett fourth line makes a ton of sense as well.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North

Maybe because they realize that playing a sport for a living has inherent risk with injuries, so your career may get cut short. Or even maybe because people realize that if they have a fulfilling NHL career, they will still have half their lives to live out. I know many of us dream of not going to work, but I can understand how useless one must feel if you just sit on your money doing nothing for the rest of your life.

Not saying they can't go to school when they retire, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest younger minds learn easier than older ones, so why not? Sets you up for life.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
For the record, even though he's earned a spot, I honestly wouldn't mind if both Hutton and Biega were cut and they played as the de facto top pairing for the Comets this year. Hell, even Biega deserves a spot on this blueline but there just isn't enough room.

Hopefully this year Hamhuis is dangled at the deadline for a 1st round pick and Sbisa at some point in the next few seasons is ousted somehow, therefore cleaning out the bottom 4 for a makeover. Edler-Tanev will remain the team's rock 1st pairing for the foreseeable future.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Maybe because they realize that playing a sport for a living has inherent risk with injuries, so your career may get cut short. Or even maybe because people realize that if they have a fulfilling NHL career, they will still have half their lives to live out. I know many of us dream of not going to work, but I can understand how useless one must feel if you just sit on your money doing nothing for the rest of your life.

Not saying they can't go to school when they retire, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest younger minds learn easier than older ones, so why not? Sets you up for life.

Well if you get your career cut short in the NHL you typically are paid out your contract value. If it occurs in college you might get some small insurance but not even close to what a pro would get.

Is it easier to get a degree at 18-21 than at 40? Yes.

Is it easier to play in the NHL at 18-21 than at 40? Equally yes.

If playing in the NHL is your lifelong dream then I would prioritize it over a degree. You get one shot at that dream but a degree will always be available at 30, 40, 50, or 60. Your body has a brief shelf life where it can compete at that level, your mind does not.

Smart kids would evaluate their chances for the NHL and then consider the opportunity cost of passing up a contract at 20. Ultimately it's their decision but I know what I would advise my son if he was in Boeser's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille