Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 @ Wings 3 SO || We Got The Vey We Asked For But Not The One We Deserve.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Thing is I will still watch if they're losing. But winning is more fun to watch, and I'm trying to have a good time here! lol.

I feel bad for Markstrom though because the team gave Miller run support tonight and he won despite being hot garbage. Last night Markstrom kept them in the game the entire time and they couldn't put up a single goal.

Yeah I still watch losses too.

Honestly I feel for both the goalies, Miller is being over worked and the team can't seem to put a solid game together in front of Marky.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I don't like losing, but we need quality draft picks...

I'm apathetic more often than not, I mainly keep up with the team through HF now, instead of watching the games, it's weird.

Just happy the kids showed up tonight, that was nice to see.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What are the 'Nucks going to do with Burrows and Higgins?....still a year left on their contacts, but they're so far below the bar of NHL players earning the kind of the money they're making, that I just can't see how they can bring them back....Shinkaruk with a four point night and Gaunce with another two goals in the minors......maybe they can put the veterans on waivers and see what happens.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007

Honestly I feel for both the goalies, Miller is being over worked and the team can't seem to put a solid game together in front of Marky.

Ya I don't know how they plan on developing Markstrom by having him play a game every 3 weeks. Is he a door stop until Demko arrives?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
hIzPxiP.png

MZ1JpDg.png

BCICoBu.png

McCann!! (https://streamable.com/za9i)
Bae!! (https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/0hz6.mp4)
Vrbata!!(https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/aguf.mp4)

and....

Vey!!!(https://streamable.com/m9nz)

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Sven getting better as he consistently gets a decent amount of ice time
Funny how that works :sarcasm:

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Great step-up by Bo tonight. Top minute forward and was up against Dats at ES.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I would love nothing more than to tune in and watch Miller put up .920+ in every start. But I don't have much sympathy for him because his decisions are frankly stupid. As I posted in the other thread he is basically going against the grain of play for every other goalie in the NHL by choosing to gain depth all the time. There is a reason nobody does it blindly like he is doing it now - it's the simple evolution of the way the position is played.

Right now Miller is basically saying well screw you guys I know what is best ... which would be fine except his stats show he is playing like crap. And this team is not constructed to help him play a more aggressive style so he is also basically forcing the team to adapt to him instead of the other way around.

So yeah, not much sympathy from this corner but he's our goalie so I try to support him.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
I would love nothing more than to tune in and watch Miller put up .920+ in every start. But I don't have much sympathy for him because his decisions are frankly stupid. As I posted in the other thread he is basically going against the grain of play for every other goalie in the NHL by choosing to gain depth all the time. There is a reason nobody does it blindly like he is doing it now - it's the simple evolution of the way the position is played.

Right now Miller is basically saying well screw you guys I know what is best ... which would be fine except his stats show he is playing like crap. And this team is not constructed to help him play a more aggressive style so he is also basically forcing the team to adapt to him instead of the other way around.

So yeah, not much sympathy from this corner but he's our goalie so I try to support him.

Mossey do you think he'd be better with a different goalie coach more suited to his style?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What are the 'Nucks going to do with Burrows and Higgins?....still a year left on their contacts, but they're so far below the bar of NHL players earning the kind of the money they're making, that I just can't see how they can bring them back....Shinkaruk with a four point night and Gaunce with another two goals in the minors......maybe they can put the veterans on waivers and see what happens.

Simple, if they can't be moved you keep them and their contracts expired. This is usually what happens with vets at the end of their contract. If Gaunce and Shinkaruk are waiver exempt they can be on speed dial for injury callups and fill depth next season, then go full time replacing Burrows & Higgins after that.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So much irony in this game topped by Vey getting the shoot out winner. Everything said the Canucks should lose badly. But on the night they were the better team

The Good

Miller - made some just outstanding saves and that tying goal was inch perfect and I don't see how you don't simply congratulate the shooter on that one.

Biega - starting to get his confidence and starting to assert himself. Terrific skater and smart with the puck.

Horvat - really the best thing about this game was the way Horvat played. This is the player that we saw at the end of last year. On the game you take him over Larkin. Like most, I think that he will work his way through this bad year and emerge a good NHL player. Tonight let's you have more belief

Baertschi - starting to show more. Compete level is there and has been for awhile. Showing more skill taking and giving a pass and seeing the ice better. Canucks have played him thru some pretty poor patches of play and hopefully will be rewarded.

McCann - nice effort. Thought he played well throughout and especially in OT. Showing so much poise and is certainly talented

The Bad

Higgins - his effort of the tying goal was a joke. Whole sad sack appearance is reflected in his demeanor and play. Should be benched.

D. Sedin - looks hurt. Gave up the puck a lot and couldn't seem to make a play all game. A negative in this game

Other points

On Vey - thought he looked mediocre in the game (which is better than I expected) and had some defensive issues as expected. Pleasant for him personally to get the winner. If he can somehow get hot then should be moved as quickly as we can get something for him. However, him getting hot and getting something for him remain difficult to imagine

Detroit not in a much different position than us. Lots of aging injury prone vets and smallish wingers. They are going no where.

Game gave us a peek at post-Sedin Canucks and it wasn't all bad. Team showed more speed and looked better off the rush. Sedin paced games seems to devolve into a lot of static movement along the boards. Moreover, players weren't standing around waiting for the Sedins to do something but took into their own hands to carry the play. Maybe this team defers to the Sedins too much???? This gives rise to the notion that to really move on the Canucks should look to get beyond the Sedin era and develop more of a speed game. Moving them could get them some nice pieces but it is hard to see how moving both to the same team could be done. Certainly some salary would have to be retained.

In a very real sense the Canucks lose when they win. Need is to rebuild and get the high lottery choice. That's crucial. However, having young players like Horvat have some success is also important so there are positives coming out of this game.

Looked like Miller might have pulled something late. If so, the Canucks tank possibilities increase. Even if Miller is good to go I hope the team plays Markstrom next game.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Mossey do you think he'd be better with a different goalie coach more suited to his style?

No. Because his style just doesn't work unless you have an entire team on board. Even his old coach in Buffalo was trying to modernize his game.

The reason goalies have been so successful is because with the help of good coaches they have been able to change their games in response to changes to the game and to themselves.

If you look at Osgood, the reason he was able to win those last couple cups after almost being out of the league was because he completely changed his game to a more modern style.

Or Luongo, his game has grown leaps and bounds after working with Melanson here.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So much irony in this game topped by Vey getting the shoot out winner. Everything said the Canucks should lose badly. But on the night they were the better team

The Good

Miller - made some just outstanding saves and that tying goal was inch perfect and I don't see how you don't simply congratulate the shooter on that one.

Biega - starting to get his confidence and starting to assert himself. Terrific skater and smart with the puck.

Horvat - really the best thing about this game was the way Horvat played. This is the player that we saw at the end of last year. On the game you take him over Larkin. Like most, I think that he will work his way through this bad year and emerge a good NHL player. Tonight let's you have more belief

Baertschi - starting to show more. Compete level is there and has been for awhile. Showing more skill taking and giving a pass and seeing the ice better. Canucks have played him thru some pretty poor patches of play and hopefully will be rewarded.

McCann - nice effort. Thought he played well throughout and especially in OT. Showing so much poise and is certainly talented

The Bad

Higgins - his effort of the tying goal was a joke. Whole sad sack appearance is reflected in his demeanor and play. Should be benched.

D. Sedin - looks hurt. Gave up the puck a lot and couldn't seem to make a play all game. A negative in this game

Other points

On Vey - thought he looked mediocre in the game (which is better than I expected) and had some defensive issues as expected. Pleasant for him personally to get the winner. If he can somehow get hot then should be moved as quickly as we can get something for him. However, him getting hot and getting something for him remain difficult to imagine

Detroit not in a much different position than us. Lots of aging injury prone vets and smallish wingers. They are going no where.

Game gave us a peek at post-Sedin Canucks and it wasn't all bad. Team showed more speed and looked better off the rush. Sedin paced games seems to devolve into a lot of static movement along the boards. Moreover, players weren't standing around waiting for the Sedins to do something but took into their own hands to carry the play. Maybe this team defers to the Sedins too much???? This gives rise to the notion that to really move on the Canucks should look to get beyond the Sedin era and develop more of a speed game. Moving them could get them some nice pieces but it is hard to see how moving both to the same team could be done. Certainly some salary would have to be retained.

In a very real sense the Canucks lose when they win. Need is to rebuild and get the high lottery choice. That's crucial. However, having young players like Horvat have some success is also important so there are positives coming out of this game.

Looked like Miller might have pulled something late. If so, the Canucks tank possibilities increase. Even if Miller is good to go I hope the team plays Markstrom next game.

I don't often disagree with you but Miller was terrible this entire game and is lucky they didn't put the game out of reach in the third. All of the goals were easily saveable if he had just correctly executed the simple fundamentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad